Working with Resin - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Worldkiller's Flag is: USA

Default Working with Resin

So my gf got me a forge world product for our anniversary, and I've never worked with resin before. Can anyone tell me what glue I should use? And does the GW paint work on these? What's the best way to cut them from the sprue?

Finished: Too Much Love Will Kill You (working title), an original fiction novel. Working on: Second draft of Too Much Love, and the first draft of A Winter's Tale (working title).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:08 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

First up superglue is the glue to use. Pin and superglue. Prep wise put the minis in a bath of simple green overnight to clear off the mold release agent from them otherwise the paint will have a devil of time sticking to the minis. Let them soak in Simple Green and then scrub them with a toothbrush and slightly warm soapy water. You can just do it with just the water but I found on some Terminators I bought from them that just that isn't enough sometimes, hence the Simple Green. To cut them from the sprue just use a normal hobby knife or clippers. If you are going to file any of it try not to breath the dust in, it's nasty. Other than that just base coat as normal and away you go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

What is simple green and where do I find it? Also, is a lack of instructions normal?

Finished: Too Much Love Will Kill You (working title), an original fiction novel. Working on: Second draft of Too Much Love, and the first draft of A Winter's Tale (working title).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:29 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Lack of instructions is completely normal, what kit did you get?

Simple Green (or awesome green magic juice as I like to call it) http://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/

Not sure where you can get it in the US, I assume Walmart or some other super market, I'm sure one of the US members will be able to tell you where.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 05:04 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

You can get gallon jugs of it at Lowes/ Home Depot.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 09:20 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
You can get gallon jugs of it at Lowes/ Home Depot.
They also have it at Kroger's, Wal Mart, Autozone (as it was originally an engine degreaser), Menard's, Publix, Target... seriously, stuff's everywhere. There are about ten different formulas out these days-- you want the original, non-diluted stuff.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:07 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
They also have it at Kroger's, Wal Mart, Autozone (as it was originally an engine degreaser), Menard's, Publix, Target... seriously, stuff's everywhere. There are about ten different formulas out these days-- you want the original, non-diluted stuff.
Nondiluted works best, However the other stuff will work in a pinch as well.

Military uses it all the time as any service member on here knows. Any supermarket in your local area should have it for sure.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks everyone. I got the Castellax Battle-Automata with multi-melta. It and the Imperator titan I'm eventually going to get around to building will be the start of my mechanicum army. Hopefully I can do the Castellax justice when I eventually paint it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 06:04 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiller View Post
Cool. Thanks everyone. I got the Castellax Battle-Automata with multi-melta. It and the Imperator titan I'm eventually going to get around to building will be the start of my mechanicum army. Hopefully I can do the Castellax justice when I eventually paint it.
sounds like something to start a Plog about ;)

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 01:31 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

This may help you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post

I have taken up half the kitchen to do this haha. I have 3 bowls. 1 large one for the bit parts, a smaller one and a rinse bowl. The first 2 are warm water with a little but of washing up liquid.

Then get an old toothbrush and just soak the parts in the mixture and then scrub and rinse then leave on a tea towel or kithen roll to dry.

All clean and back in the bags

Im going to keep a time log for this thread so you know how long its taking on each bit etc. I might keep a tea log too see how many i got through haha.

Time for cleaning : 1 hour 30 mins

Now onto the De - flashing

I assembled and painted a reaver titan a while back and it took me forever lol. I use vallegio and Gw paints on the resin. The main thing is to clean it properly and then the paint will stick. If you have any residue left it will effect the paint and glue. As for sticking I used araldite, lactate superglue and I pinned the models as well for extra stability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode