Airbrush Query - Again - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

Default Airbrush Query - Again

Sorry guys, I know this has been done before, but I wasn't clear on what route is best to start out.

Airbrushes and compressors. I'm keen to start using this method for painting my tanks/minis, and to build a new skillset. I don't want to break the bank to start with, so have been looking at options. I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Airbru...item2ecaf7dd15 and wondered if any airbrush users could offer feedback on it as a possibility, or whether it should be avoided and if so what alternative can be recommended?

CtS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 04:40 PM

Ravion's Flag is: USA

All of that for that much!? Seems kinda suspicious to me. Who knows I might be wrong. You got the right idea for an airbrush. You will want one that is dual action and is a gravity feed. The needle should be .35mm for your basic painting. If you want to go into further detail you could get one with a smaller needle. Also research the brand of airbrush to make sure you get a good quality and long lasting one. you wouldn't want to buy an airbrush and have it break after a few uses.
I use the Iwata neo dual action gravity feed airbrush. I would recommend this one for beginners. As for an air compressor you should be able to find one at your local hardware store for cheap.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 04:50 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Your going to be hard pressed to find a set that well equipped at a price close to that. If I didn't all ready have a setup, would seriously consider this one. I say go for it, it'll do pretty much everything you want.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 12:55 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

I'm pretty sure I have that exact compressor. It turned out to be cheaper to buy a set like that than to buy a compressor + tank alone.

My advice would be to buy that one, sell the siphon-fed airbrush and maybe the other one, unless you want to keep it for practice. Then, buy another airbrush from Iwata, Badger, Harder & Steenbeck or some other reputable company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, Guys. Gonna go for it.

CtS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 10:50 PM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

I have that compressor as well, I find it good to problems and I had it for a few years now. After about in hour or so it does get hot and I usually shut it off for a bit to let it cool down. I'm thinking about getting a bigger compressor with a bigger tank one of these days but this one has been good to me.

However, I would highly recommend the duel action gravity feed brush, this is the only way to go... I can't stress that enough you need that type 100% IMO... I had the syphon type one time, but had to return it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

OK, so the package arrived yesterday. Set it up last night for a whirl (no paint, just the compressor and a squeeze of the airbrush).

Silens and troybuckle, any advice on how best to set it up? I've noticed there seems to be an airleak on the airpipe connecting the airbrush to the compressor. This should be fixed with tape, I guess? What's best for that?

Also, should i be trying to adjust the pressure at all? If yes, how is that done?

Learner driver here...

CtS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 06:48 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

http://www.amazon.com/Ampro-A1441-PTFE-2-Inch-260-Inch/dp/B003YL4CJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393443940&sr=8-1&keywords=plumbers+tape
You want plumbers tape (link at the top so you can see what it looks like) to put on the threads. You can get some at any hardware store and I've even seen it in dollar stores. When you put it on (the tape), you do NOT want to put a ton of it on. At max, I would say two times around the threads. If you still have a leak, then go with three times around. I think you get where I'm going with this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 07:29 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

As troybuckle said, it does get very hot (The compressor) after extended periods of use. If it gets too hot it will shut down and won't work until it has cooled down again; it's best to not let it get this hot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 02:35 AM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

Like what has been said, plumbers tape around the threads will fix that air leak. With regards to adjusting the pressure, there is a knob on the gauge that you have to pull up then turn left of right to increase or decrease the pressure.

Biggest advice I can give you is to play around with it, it took me a few days to get my paint thinned down to the right level to allow it to spray through the gun well without clogging. Most people will say to the consistancy of milk, but i say thin it even more, think skim milk lol. This was the trickiest part for me by far, remember to clean the nossel and niddel tip while using it when you notice paint build up. Also, after every pait color change I shoot alcohol through it to clean it out and quickly pull the niddel out and wipe it as well, Keeping it clean Is also very important.

Tones of helpful videos on youtube.

Everyone has their preference, but I like to mix my paint the following way, add a few drops of valajo glaze medium in a pot, add a few drops of paint, add alcohol about twice what is in the pot at this point. There ends up being like .25% paint, 25% glaze medium 50% alcohol...

Anyway hope some of this helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode