Dipping before and after - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Don_Keyballs's Flag is: Canada

Default Dipping before and after

So I finally got around to painting my flyrant this past weekend. I used the 'dipping' method as I thought it would be the quick and easy way to finish the nids. (The model is actually too big to dip, but the principle is the same).

I haven't seen many examples out there of dipped models, so I thought I would share for all to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0274.jpg (468.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0277.jpg (474.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0280.jpg (465.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0282.jpg (474.7 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 04:12 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Not bad at all! A quick fix with some details and its a dirty fast and effective beast!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 05:01 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

This is actually quite good! Is the wash dry in the picture or still wet?

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Don_Keyballs's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
This is actually quite good! Is the wash dry in the picture or still wet?
It was still a little wet. It takes about a full 24hrs for it to dry and not be 'sticky'. In the picture, it was about 4-5hrs after I coated it.

The dip will collect on the tips of the low points, so I will need to do a little trimming of the clumps to make sure the claws still have that 'sharp' feel... either that, or paint the clumps red so it looks like blood
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 05:22 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Does dipping really save that much time? With a large brush an ink wash takes very little time anyway
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 05:30 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Does dipping really save that much time? With a large brush an ink wash takes very little time anyway
I would imagine on a large model then no not really as youre having to brush it on anyways. (unless you have enough of the "Dip" to dunk that entire model in. But if youre doing 40 Gaunts or marines or whatever then yes i would say it saves you an incredible amount of time as opposed to hand brushing each and every one of them.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 02:18 AM

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
There is a HUGE difference between a wash and a dip (polyurethane).
The biggest differences are viscosity and molecular cohesion.

Think of wash as colored water that tints the model and is fluid enough to pool into the cracks/recesses.

Poly-U is extremely more viscous (thinker) and has a high attraction to itself (molecular cohesion). So it.... damn it, just look at the picture below.

Look at the Ork arms. The one on the left was painted using wash, while the one on the right was painted using Poly.

This is one of the few dip v. wash pics I found so if anyone finds a better one, please post it.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 09:35 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

dipping is an abomination, possibly one of the worst if not the worst things to "be discovered" in the last 20 years of the hobby IMHO.

I simply cannot fathom why anyone would want to use this method on extremely expensive and highly detailed works of art, whats the rush? you have paid £40 for the model, take your time, enjoy painting it, show the model some respect.

leave the tinted wood varnish for your furniture!

I hate Dipping, not sure if that's coming across

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 11:02 AM
driller's Flag is: Hungary

It does. These are not works of art. But it's a great hobby!

For dipping fans: I'm a very big fan of the Army Painter quickshades. Many will try to tell you that you can get the same results with DYI store varnishes and stuff. Not true at all: The Army Painter stuff produces much better results.

But after the quickshade dries, I never leave the figures as they are, I always do a lot of detail work afterwards.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 11:24 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Things about dipped models is that they normally looked dipped. The varnish tends to pool in areas that would not normally expect to be in shadows, and the thickness of the medium does lead to detail being obscured.

I don't have anything against somebody who wants to dip their models, I just see it as a quick way to something you don't enjoy. I have never seen such a large figure done using this technique and it looks very shiny right now. Is it going to be sprayed with a matt varnish to take the edge off the gloss look?

Dipping does tends to be a very decisive method amongst painters in my experience, people either love it or hate it. For people who are not really into painting models its just another tool to get figures on the table to look 'ok'.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

Last edited by humakt; 01-28-14 at 03:27 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode