Dipping before and after - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 03:06 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Dipping is the dark side of the hobby, but, man, when you have 200+ orks or tyranids to paint...fuck the hobby, i want to field a painted army! gogo dipping machine, go! A proper dipped model is not so bad, either (the ork pic explain it good). You will not field the most artistic army but...you will field it

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Don_Keyballs's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
For dipping fans: I'm a very big fan of the Army Painter quickshades. Many will try to tell you that you can get the same results with DYI store varnishes and stuff. Not true at all: The Army Painter stuff produces much better results.
The flyrant was completed using the Army Painter quickshades. I based the model in bleached bone, added the secondary colours, then lathered on the quickshade. (Lathered a bit too much in some areas sadly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Is it going to be sprayed with a matt varnish to take the edge off the gloss look?
That is something I should look into, as the gloss look still remains after the models is completely dry.

Side note: For those who think that dipping is an abomination to the hobby...
I consider there to be 3 areas of interest with regards to 40k:

1. Modeling- I may not be the best in getting the right details, I like to think the little tweaks make the model your own. (Look at the Flyrant's Scy Talon feet for a tiny example).

2. Painting- I see all of these amazing well painted armies, and know how much time that has been put into them. I just don't have the time to do this. So its either play with unpainted models, which I believe is more of an abomination then playing with a model that has been dipped.

3. Playing the game- This is the whole reason why I got into 40k in the first place. The other 2 aspects are details that I am slowly getting into.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 12:17 PM

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

You have to get a matte varnish to take the shine away, it will not disappear when it dries. Try Testor's Dullcote spray.

Just a bit of warning. When spraying the matte varnish it is essential to spray multiple thin coats of varnish. If you over spray the varnish you'll get a weird 'cracking' effect.
It is better to do multiple light coats and let each coat completely dry before you do the next one.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 01:35 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

To add to @lav25gunner point about varnish you also need to make sure that you spray in warm conditions and with room temperature varnish else you will get a horrible frosting effect which will ruin the model.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 04:15 AM

I personally think dipping is just plain lazy, take the time to do the model justice.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:02 AM

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achaylus72 View Post
I personally think dipping is just plain lazy, take the time to do the model justice.
First of all, not every one can do the model justice. In fact I would say that 80% of the models I've seen are trash. Most people just want to play and don't care what their models look like. It's only on sites like this one that people seem to care and put an effort into their painting. I know that I come here to see the work of better painters and I try to copy what I see.

Secondly, you could argue that Army Painter, washes, airbrushing and a ton of other things are lazy too. I never understood why some people have such a strong negative opinion about some of these products. It's just my opinion, but it seems to me that people get mad because they had to learn the hard way and they feel cheated when new products or techniques come out.

I personally don't see anything wrong with airbrushing, washes, dipping, etc. I'm actually excited to play against painted armies, regardless of how they got painted.

You simply cannot argue with the results, specially when you have a swarm army like Nids or Orks.
Look at how little work was put into these models and the difference that dipping made. So why would you begrudge someone taking a shortcut when the end results are so drastic. You could finish a single model in 10 minutes versus 2-6 hours. Imagine the time you'll save on those large horde armies.

Last edited by lav25gunner; 02-02-14 at 09:11 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:12 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I think that dipping has it's own camp in the painting department - Usually there's layering, airbrushing, wetblending and now dipping. Each painter swears to his technique and few rarely mix them. Each has their strengths, their weaknesses and their target group.

I can see the advantage in dipping, as not everyone wants to spend as much time as others (Yupp, I spend ridiculous amounts of time on painting) on getting their miniatures to a decent standard. To them, the dipping technique is a totally valid way of getting them to a good standard.

It's all up to the eye of the beholder if it's to the standard they like - But it cannot be discredited as a non-valid form of painting.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:47 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I think dipping can be useful for certain people. But it still needs care and attention to get good results. It is a different way of doing washes but I am still not convinced it is any quicker.

To get a good looking miniature you will still additional work as the Bretonnian archer above shows.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 12:51 PM

I've often considered using dipping to get through mass amounts of models, but, I never seem to buy the stuff when I can.
In defense of the dipping though, even army painter recommends doing some detailing after the model is dry from dipping. Not a bad idea as even when I wash some of my stuff I still want certain areas cleaner than they would be with only the shade.

Has anyone dipped things like vehicles? Meaning Rhinos and the like?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:26 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lav has a point, you cant argue with the results, those models look like they took zero effort to achieve

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode