Tau Riptide WIP - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default Tau Riptide WIP

Hey guys,

It's been quite a long time since I worked on a GW product, 2012 I believe. But I picked a load of Tau stuff from a friend recently and have just finished building the riptide today. I've wanted a riptide ever since they were released, so am a happy chappy right now!

Here it is:

I didn't want to just build it in the "standard" pose and wanted to get as much movement into the pose as possible. It's a chunky model and it's easy for it to look really static.

I started out by getting an idea of the kind of pose I wanted in my head and building the base first. I used Hirst Arts blocks (more of that, here) to get the height and then started assembly from the bottom up, pinning the feet and then working my way up the body.

I'm really pleased with the results and am looking forward to painting him up. I also got one of the FW Tau 54mm fire warriors in with all the stuff so am using him as a colour scheme test (I've not done any real painting in months and months so I need to dust of the skill set)

Let me know what you think!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 10:56 PM

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome back reaper (looks like my idles back). I love the pose of the riptide, does this mean another project log coming up?

Gothic
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

@Gothic

Thank you

It may mean the start of a new plog. I'm going to see how the riptide treats me on the painting table before I fully decide though.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 11:15 PM

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can't wait to see it painted
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 01:10 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Looking good reap, the build and positioning look top notch and the base fits well. The only thing that's bugging me about it is the head. It's not a problem with what you've done, it's a flaw in the kitself. A) It's too small for my tastes but the main thing is is that it the kit doesn't really allow you angle it up very well. So much of the intention of a mini is dictated by the head and where it's looking. At the moment it looks like it's looking down which gives me the idea that it's tripped over. I'm not sure if there is anyway you can raise it's line of sight via the head to change that. From the front it's not so bad but side on it really shows. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it due to the limitations of the kit, and as I said it's not your fault, just my opinion though.

Looking forward to seeing it painted!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Indeed, the issue with the head has been bugging me a little. I would have liked the kit to have a larger head. I may see if I can do something using another battlesuit head, but if not it's no problem. Because of the elevation offered by the wall, he's less staring at the floor and more at a tiny enemy some distance away.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 02:44 AM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

The new broadside kit has some pretty cool heads (they even come in a few parts with different lenses). I used one of the rounded off heads with the shark fin on top.

Great dynamic pose, I wanted to do a more dynamic pose, like kneeling to stable the large cannon arm, but chickened out. The crashed drone kicks ass too!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 03:05 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

totally looks like he tripped over that curb.

Sorry.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 06:35 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

The model's looking good man. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar667 View Post
The new broadside kit has some pretty cool heads (they even come in a few parts with different lenses). I used one of the rounded off heads with the shark fin on top.

Great dynamic pose, I wanted to do a more dynamic pose, like kneeling to stable the large cannon arm, but chickened out. The crashed drone kicks ass too!
I plan on picking up at least a broadside (if I decide to just do this as a hobby project) or 9 (if I foolishly decide to get back into 40k) so I'll take a look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
totally looks like he tripped over that curb.

Sorry.

He does have a little of that. But it looks less like that in the flesh (I know, I know, "it's better IRL!", worst excuse ever right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
The model's looking good man. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?
I have, this is the 54mm fire warrior I'm testing it on, excuse the crappy photos:

He's a way from being finished yet. The cloth needs more highlights, I'm waiting on some vallejo model air white to bring up the white areas, the face needs more work and all the straps, pouches etc need finishing. Pretty much the only finished part is the red.

But this will be the look I'm going for, a red and white (Red seems to be the only colour I work in anymore) with plenty of battle damage. I'll probably hit him with some weathering pigments too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode