Returning to the hobby and still new: Eldar - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

parkerdpeterson's Flag is: USA

Thank you lav25gunner, I was just thinking about how I could work some more detail into the serpent. I actually like the way I have painted it, I agree on all the red on it, but I like the black and whie on it. I am planning on getting a different heavy vehicle to paint in the opposite way to the wave serpent so that they aren't all the same looking. And thank you Ninjurai I suppose I do have clean nails haha. As soon as I do more work on the walker I will post more pictures. Now that someone shows interest in it it motivates me to work on it more!

They shall come, expecting the obvious, the simple, the artless. They shall stab at the shadows with confused minds and troubled hearts. Meanwhile, we shall appear unseen from ten directions, and from every one strike a fatal blow.
- Farseer Caerys of Ulthwé
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 04:33 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerdpeterson View Post
I am planning on getting a different heavy vehicle to paint in the opposite way to the wave serpent so that they aren't all the same looking. Now that someone shows interest in it it motivates me to work on it more!
For being newer in the hobby youre doing pretty alright. But i have to mention a few things which detract from your overall scheme. First is i would say to not put such heavy coats on the models. remember several thinned down coats are better than one large goopy coat. Painting another heavy vehicle in the opposite color scheme will only serve to make that model stick out like a sore thumb among the rest of your army. youve got a good scheme going however and i would suggest taking the advice on the highlights. the models will look so much better for it as you can see by the example.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you SwedeMarine for your comment. My two Guardians that I have painted I used some white war panter spray which was a huge mistake. I don't know if that's just how it is or if I was just to close or what but it went on way too thick. I sprayed a whole squad of them and only finished those two and then striped as much off the rest as I could. I think that another heavy vehicle painted the opposite wouldn't really stick out to much because my guardians are making up the majority of my army and they are mostly white and my farseers and warlocks are going to be mostly black. So it kinda fits. I won't know till I try though. Now for base coating I use an airbrush and thin the paint with Vallejo airbrush thinner. And after using the thinner for the airbrush I tried it with the paint I used with the brush and I actually really like it for that as well. And I do plan to highlight the serpent. What is the best way to do that though?

They shall come, expecting the obvious, the simple, the artless. They shall stab at the shadows with confused minds and troubled hearts. Meanwhile, we shall appear unseen from ten directions, and from every one strike a fatal blow.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 05:12 PM

Best way i have found it so get a size 00 or 000 sable brush (a bit more expensive but will give you a straight tip as long as you clean the brush.)and then do one slightly thick highlight of grey and the follow with a pencil thinof white or light grey on the very edges.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

oh okay thank you! I'll try that out.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
I would suggest putting the farseer in warm water to gently bend the sword straight
So here's attempt #1 to straighten the sword. It was straighter right after I did it, but after a day of it sitting it bent back a little.

Attempt #2: I just now did this so I'm going to see how straight the sword is tomorrow. And yes I put it in hot water bent the sword straight then put the make shift clamp in place.

Last edited by parkerdpeterson; 01-24-14 at 04:54 AM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lav25gunner View Post
The farseer is looking good, but I think the highlights on the cape are too subtle, but that could just be the camera.

Here is a little bit better picture of the cape. Also some of the black looks glossy because I was using some Vallejo black ink for the wash and I was putting it on a little thick in the darker areas and it dried glossy but when I'm done with this Farseer I'm going to spray it with a matte clear coat so that should make it more flat looking.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 05:53 AM

lav25gunner's Flag is: USA

Here Parkerd, I found this on the internet. it might help with the black cape.

"I first applied Black Grey over the robes. Codex Grey was used as the first highlight of the robe. Astronomican Grey was used as a final highlight on the robes. The robes were then washed with Badab Black to tie the colors together and deepen the details."

Last edited by lav25gunner; 01-24-14 at 05:56 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Lav, I'll have to try that out.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 04:18 AM

Shades are a great way to tie the models together

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode