Help modeling ork 'ard boyz - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Default Help modeling ork 'ard boyz

I really want to field some an army of ork 'ard boyz, but how do you model them? the only kit for ork troops doesn't say it has armor plates, please help, thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 12:46 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

You could try looking in the O&G Fantasy range - some of their models have decent armor.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

interesting, thanks, but right now money is tight and my modeling skillz are lacking

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 01:04 AM
So be it.

hmm ok. Do you have the boyz already or are you going to pick them up? If you're going to get them you could just get fantasy models and 40k bases. If not, and if you have some greenstuff you could just beat it really thin and cut it so it's jagged, as it doesn't need to look good... You could even take an actual metal sheet and cut it into small pieces with a knife etc. Another thing you could do is just paint their leather armor to look metal. Sorry I'm not more helpful, I've never tried something like this.

Quote:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

I really don't want to be nerdy/geeky and then have like super ugly models on top of that, I really want something that looks store-bought, I might just wait for 7th edition to try an ork army, but like maybe I can field fantasy orcs and buy some sluggas and just equip them, dang it, I really love orks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 01:15 AM
So be it.

I get that, just throwing ideas out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Another thing you could do is just paint their leather armor to look metal.
? This could definitely be done with (mostly) painting if you wanted, or a mix of painting and modeling.

If you want you could go for these bad boys, though they are crazy expensive so you might just want to stick with some standard boyz. In all honesty though, you could probably just say that they were 'ard boyz and no one would question you.

I just googled some stuff, and you could try to find some nobz heads or something and then put them on boyz.

Inspiration.

Quote:

Last edited by JAMOB; 01-07-14 at 01:21 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 01:36 AM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

In the bitz section of the Ork category I think they sell tiny pewter plates you can attach to your boyz to make the 'ard boyz. I think, might have been removed. Other than that, Black Orks really are the best ones for the job, just cut in some shootas and it should be fine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 02:34 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

You could always cut thin sheets of plasticard and glue to the arms. With rivets it looks quite nice. Looted shoulder pads from space marines work as a sharm. Also, only use the heads from the box with helms. I have a squad of Ard Boys in my Plog. Look for Moriouces Workshop.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 07:24 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Moving this to the modeling section, as you will get more help there think.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 10:40 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

I would buy the basic boys and then trawl a bits retailer like bits n kits for parts. You should be able to get a load of parts to give the right impression.
Things to remember:
1:You can loot from more or less anyone so don't be scared of looking at additional plating from the other armies.
2:An ogre gut plate or fantasy shield mounted on the wrist of a slugs arm will make the model look heavier and a lot more armoured.
3:Space marine shoulder pads also make good helmets if you trim the orks ears a little.
4:there are spare straps and belts all over the ork models that are begging to have bucklers and small armour pieces added to them to cover knees, thighs, wrists and upper arms.
5:In general there is a big flat Area on the models back that you could put large plating like more shields, tau gun drone parts, guard heavy weapon shields on.

Just some thoughts, usually I have a collection of random gubnins from my bits boxes on hand when I'm working on some boys but then my bits box is actually a cupboard so if you haven't got a great selection picking up some parts from bits retailers or cutting up old ice cream tubs for styrene might be the way to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode