Necron bumber pack of goodness - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Necron bumber pack of goodness

So I finished these guys a month or so back but I have only just had the chance to photo them, they are painted in the same way as my tomb blades shown previously, and these are the first models from my megaforce I have actually finished... which is kind of depressing but anyway here they are:

The blue is done the same way as the green I described in previous posts, but I use a base mid and highlight blue instead (which in this case is regal blue, enchanted blue and ice blue). I am particularly proud of the head on the pilot because I managed to do white well. It was done with and Ulthuan grey base, shaded with codex grey/ fortress grey and then highlighted with pure white.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 06:17 PM
Rattlehead

They look stunning, but perhaps you could make the pictures a bit smaller? Very very slow loaders.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 06:34 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

These guys look great. =)

First my criticisms. I think you went overboard with the OSL. It's well executed but in some areas it completely covers the metal underneath and then it didn't hold up as well. In those spots it looks like paint not lighting effects. Where the OSL is more moderate, I think it turned out really well. It contrasts very nicely with the worn metal.

Which leads me to my favorite part of these models. The written battered metal. I love it! The unevenness and blotchy, tarnished texture are really satisfying. I think the overall effect might work a little better if the 'new' bronzes were slightly tarnished. But I'm really impressed by the texture in the worn metal.

And the photos are top notch. They did take a little while to download to my mobile, but good paint work deserves good photos!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 08:52 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Very nicely done, although I agree with Krueger, the OSL is overdone in a few spots (the Annihilation Barge crew's hands for one, there'd a little bit of the back that wouldn't be getting lit. Love the look you gave to most of the metal, very clean but with a lot of character.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 01:16 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

lovely work!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 06:25 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Superb, the OSL is impressive even if it may look better with a little tweaking... I've never tried anything like it and I think you are getting pretty damn good with it.

My favourite bit is that base metal you've put it in, it's a terrific look and very detailed to the eye.

Don't forget this month's painting competition is for vehicles and monsterous creatures, you should definitely enter this!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
These guys look great. =)

First my criticisms. I think you went overboard with the OSL. It's well executed but in some areas it completely covers the metal underneath and then it didn't hold up as well. In those spots it looks like paint not lighting effects. Where the OSL is more moderate, I think it turned out really well. It contrasts very nicely with the worn metal.

Which leads me to my favorite part of these models. The written battered metal. I love it! The unevenness and blotchy, tarnished texture are really satisfying. I think the overall effect might work a little better if the 'new' bronzes were slightly tarnished. But I'm really impressed by the texture in the worn metal.

And the photos are top notch. They did take a little while to download to my mobile, but good paint work deserves good photos!
Personally I quite like the OSL effect I have done and for me I think I have got it about right, however I definitely agree with the hands of the pilots etc. I noticed this as I did them but I didn't really know how I would re-paint them to keep that glow effect on the hands but not wash out the original colour, it may just be worth re-painting them with thinned down paints so that you can still see the blue underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Superb, the OSL is impressive even if it may look better with a little tweaking... I've never tried anything like it and I think you are getting pretty damn good with it.

My favourite bit is that base metal you've put it in, it's a terrific look and very detailed to the eye.

Don't forget this month's painting competition is for vehicles and monsterous creatures, you should definitely enter this!
Thanks, where are the details for the painting competition? I don't generally look at any of the other forums except rumours and 40k

The weathered metal is actually incredibly simple. To begin with I was worried as to how I was going to do it as I didn't want to do it like the studio army with all the green highlights and steel all over would look too boring so searching around online I found this: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/454175.page

I basically followed this for the metal but I didn't use the army painters dip at the end as I thought this was unnecessary if you used the thinned down smokey ink anyway.

Thanks for all the comments and criticisms guys, and next time I will upload directly from my computer with smaller pics instead of link flickr URL with the full size photos on Talking of flickr the pics I uploaded to the GW group appeared on the WD daily flickr section today!!

There should also be some pics of my night scythe up soon, I have finished the model but I wanted to get the base done before I released it upon the world :D

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

Last edited by falcoso; 11-28-13 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 09:35 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
Thanks, where are the details for the painting competition?
Competition thread is here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=130049

And the calender is here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=121883

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-13, 04:24 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Falcoso,

The hands actually don't bother me all that much. I was thinking more about the rear section of the gun array at the left side of this picture. The OSL totally covers the structure of the gun.

Annihilation Barge by falcoso, on Flickr (this is what the grab BBCode tool produces )

I'm not sure how to best describe what I'm thinking . . . perhaps that once a region becomes mostly green, the OSL doesn't work as well because there isn't enough underlying color to contrast with the OSL color. Whether you agree or not, does that make sense?

Your photos are awesome. I also use Flickr. I grab the BBCode when I post my photos, that way if a H-O member wants to see it in higher-rez they can click through to my photostream and see it there. If you haven't tried the Grab BBCode tool its pretty awesome and a lot easier than digging down to the actual high-rez image url.

Cheers!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-13, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Thanks will get the entry in asap :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Falcoso,

The hands actually don't bother me all that much. I was thinking more about the rear section of the gun array at the left side of this picture. The OSL totally covers the structure of the gun.

Annihilation Barge by falcoso, on Flickr (this is what the grab BBCode tool produces )

I'm not sure how to best describe what I'm thinking . . . perhaps that once a region becomes mostly green, the OSL doesn't work as well because there isn't enough underlying color to contrast with the OSL color. Whether you agree or not, does that make sense?

Your photos are awesome. I also use Flickr. I grab the BBCode when I post my photos, that way if a H-O member wants to see it in higher-rez they can click through to my photostream and see it there. If you haven't tried the Grab BBCode tool its pretty awesome and a lot easier than digging down to the actual high-rez image url.

Cheers!
yeah I do get what you mean there, I think that was just me going a bit heavy with the original base colour, there is still some metallic visible underneath but it was abit much there.

I will try the BBCode next time thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode