Diorama Stuffs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Default Diorama Stuffs

I'm doing a Lizardmen Diorama set within the jungles of lustria. The base for the Diorama is 300x150mm and I need more or less the entire thing covered in damp soil. I don't know how to do this. There are also going to be troglodon foot-prints set into the soil so I need a material that I'll be able to do this with, though I may make the imprints out of green-stuff and then just put the soil over the top. I'm also looking for a company which sells large exotic trees and exotic plants, like a rainforest sort of look. I also need some astec-y stuff for some Lizardmen ruins.

Summary:

How would I go about making the floor look like soil?

Where can I buy rainforest-like trees and plants?

Where can I buy Aztec/Lizardmen themed scenery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 07:56 PM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens View Post
I'm doing a Lizardmen Diorama set within the jungles of lustria. The base for the Diorama is 300x150mm and I need more or less the entire thing covered in damp soil. I don't know how to do this. There are also going to be troglodon foot-prints set into the soil so I need a material that I'll be able to do this with, though I may make the imprints out of green-stuff and then just put the soil over the top. I'm also looking for a company which sells large exotic trees and exotic plants, like a rainforest sort of look. I also need some astec-y stuff for some Lizardmen ruins.

Summary:

How would I go about making the floor look like soil?

Where can I buy rainforest-like trees and plants?

Where can I buy Aztec/Lizardmen themed scenery?
maybe aquarium plants and ruins
they look really cool and you can get some really good pieces

that was just a 5 sec google search but you can pick anything up on ebay shops, or any garden centre

Last edited by kickboxerdog; 11-15-13 at 08:01 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 08:07 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

ill answer the first two first since the other one will require some explanation.

Woodland scneics sells tropical plants/trees which may well work for you. However you can also go to your local aquarium shop and find uitable plastic plants that will require little to no modifications to work.

Searcning around on Ebay for a few minutes you should be abele to find some decent panels or perhaps bases which you can replicate to get panels. Amazon might be worth a go as well

As for your soil the biggest question i have is what kind of soil texture are you looking for? are you looking for Muddy, dirt like, covered in plants etc? If you're looking for something easy to work with maybe consider covering the diorama in a sort of modeling putty (2 part unless you have access to a kiln and it wont damage the rest of the model) that way you can make the impressions directly ito the area you are working with. In order to get a bit rougher texture you can also take coarse sandpaper and push it into the areas that will not be covered in sand for texture.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
ill answer the first two first since the other one will require some explanation.

Woodland scneics sells tropical plants/trees which may well work for you. However you can also go to your local aquarium shop and find uitable plastic plants that will require little to no modifications to work.

Searcning around on Ebay for a few minutes you should be abele to find some decent panels or perhaps bases which you can replicate to get panels. Amazon might be worth a go as well

As for your soil the biggest question i have is what kind of soil texture are you looking for? are you looking for Muddy, dirt like, covered in plants etc? If you're looking for something easy to work with maybe consider covering the diorama in a sort of modeling putty (2 part unless you have access to a kiln and it wont damage the rest of the model) that way you can make the impressions directly ito the area you are working with. In order to get a bit rougher texture you can also take coarse sandpaper and push it into the areas that will not be covered in sand for texture.
I'll look into Woodland scenics. The dirt I want is going to be like muddy. The footprints of the Troglodon, for example, will look to be seconds old but regardless will be filled with water. As if it rained heavily rather recently. I'm going to have a lot of plants and might model in some vines and roots snaking along the floor under the dirt but the overall look needs to be WET. I might flick some gloss varnish at the floor afterwards as well.

@kickboxerdog

I'll be looking at aquarium stuff. Great suggestion! I didn't even think of that! I'll pop down to the local Pets at Home at some point in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 08:58 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

If you are wanting to get a "wet" look to mud might I suggest a mixture of PVA glue and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water Effects, you combine that with some sand and brown paint and you should get a wet looking effect when dried.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 09:13 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Some fairly decent mud guides here:

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.co...page=page&id=5

http://hittingon3s.com/category/tutorials/

I used to have a really good one but it seems the pictures have expired from the webhost.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 11:40 PM

fotoshark's Flag is: Canada

If you have a store that thrives on train set hobbiests, that's where I have found most of my terrain materials! A lot cheaper and bigger bags than places like Walmart-Michaels.

- T.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode