Washes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-13, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Washes

Am I the only one who's having a little trouble with the wash brush and washing large amounts of miniatures? I tried to wash a part of my Imperial Defence Line with Agrax Earthshade, but it ended up looking slightly grungly and more wet, not really anything like the grunge that I was hoping for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 12:11 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Washing large flat surfaces is a pain in the arse. Personally, I mix the washes with water and a bit of soap when I do a large flat surface like a vehicle or wall.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 07:39 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Washes are not that good for large flat areas due to the cohesive nature of the water based liquid. It adheres more to itself than to the flat surface (causing it too pool). It it generally better to apply washes to only the creases in models with large flat areas.

I cannot say I have tried @Loki1416 technique of using a little washing up liquid but I can see that it would work if you want to wash the whole area.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 09:43 AM

What does loki mean by soap??
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 10:47 AM

liquid soap it helps break the surface tension. not sure the mix you can look it up on this site or I can find it and post it when I get back home.

Washing large surface probly not a good idea tho. It most likely pool at the bottom and have streaks no matter how hard you try altho I am sure some really good painters can pull it off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 12:46 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

@Stormxlr
Liquid dish soap. It only takes 1-2 drops per bottle of wash. You don't want too much soap.
By thinning it with the soap and water, you'll have to do more coats than you normally would, but it gives you greater control over the streaks (so you don't have streaks). Still not the easiest thing in the world. But it helps.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 01:34 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
I tried to wash a part of my Imperial Defence Line with Agrax Earthshade, but it ended up looking slightly grungly and more wet, not really anything like the grunge that I was hoping for.
I water down the washes and do layers of them. Probably the most tedious thing I've ever had to wait on with painting is washes drying in between coats. On an ADL, I would wash everything once for the overall feel of it and then do another 3-5 layers wherever I want it to be muddier. It takes a while. The 'wet' look should subside a bit once it's dried, but you will have a bit of a shine once it's all said and done. I use enough Nuln Oil to turn red black on my BA, maybe it just looks different when you use the number of coats I'm talking about.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 03:03 PM

Okay I see, im too broke to try to mix my wash with soap (incase I screw something up can't get a new one) but what I do when I want to have an even spread is just mix just a drop of wash with water on a pallet and use a wide brush to apply it works perfectly but takes long time to do multiple coats
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 04:32 PM

fotoshark's Flag is: Canada

Here I thought the colour I got just went bad... lol Was tryin it out today on a base, still got tons to learn so no ur definitely not the only one having troubles lol

- T.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 07:25 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

You gotta shake the fuck outta washes if they've been sitting I find.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode