Liquid Resin - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblematrix View Post
That does not work, transformative work is something quite different. The act of making copies of the components is the infringement.

Your best legal bet is to make a master of something similar - guns are easy - some plastic rod sections stuck together and then cast that.
I'm not making copies of components, I'm making copies of components and destroying them completely to bring some design elements into new, sculpted components.

Anyway, Like Djin said, it's not worth the effort for anyone thinking of trying it. It's way cheaper to buy the bits and destroy them.

I was hoping for the environmentally and wallet friendly option rather than having shipment after shipment of an ounce of plastic traverse the globe so I could fiddle with a different idea every week or so. Not worth it for the lost time and chemical burns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 03:39 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Not to drag this through the mud, but what if you were to sculpt a chapter badge onto a shoulder pad and replicate that?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 07:44 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Any copying in anyway is verboten !
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure on the ins and outs of its, but I thought copying was only illegal if you were selling them. (plus once their painted nobody sees a difference anyway).

If this is not the case isn't it acceptable to 'modify' the part in some way (shave off an icon, change a barrel ect) then cast that?

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 07:41 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakingofchaos View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure on the ins and outs of its, but I thought copying was only illegal if you were selling them. (plus once their painted nobody sees a difference anyway).

If this is not the case isn't it acceptable to 'modify' the part in some way (shave off an icon, change a barrel ect) then cast that?
It is only illegal if you're selling them. Forum rules and legality are two different things.

I use Alumilite White (Alumilite - Products - Casting Resins - Alumilite White)... I get pretty good results with it.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 08:22 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakingofchaos View Post

From the GW website:

Legal: Page 4 | Games Workshop

"Please read the following in conjunction with the What you can do section above and the Specific Examples section below. Other than a few exemptions, Games Workshop is not obliged to let anyone use its IP at all (for example, it's a widely held misconception that you can freely make use of someone else's copyrights, without their permission, as long as it's for your own private use - this is currently not an automatic exemption to copyright), and accordingly we always insist that our IP is treated with the respect that we feel that it deserves."

If you read through it you can see what you can and can't do.

I also draw your attention to our own forum rules

"any discussion regarding the duplication and/or counterfeiting of GW (or other companies) miniatures or parts is forbidden."
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 09:05 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

Suprised this thread isnt banned yet, i asked about almost sculpting my own nurgle marines, using a marine as a armature and the reaction i god was slightly unexpected.

This is the part you want

Quote:
Conversions

Conversions are a major aspect of the hobby, although in intellectual property terms, they also constitute a major infringement. However, we are certainly not about to stop people making cool conversions of our products, although, there are certain things to keep in mind:

Please do not combine our intellectual properties with IP owned by any third parties.
Your conversions should be one-time, unique masterpieces of hobby goodness. Do not create a production run of conversions for sale. Whilst infringing our IP, this is also simply not hobby.
Casting

Do not cast any materials that are based upon Games Workshop material. Games Workshop has to maintain a strict policy on this to fight counterfeiters. We would also remind you that reproduction for personal use is NOT an automatic exclusion in respect of copyright protection in many territories worldwide.
Apparently your not aloud to mix models you have paid for, with parts from another company.

even though you pay ridiculous amounts on this plasti-crack, you still dont own it, just remember that kids.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

Last edited by dirty-dog-; 06-21-13 at 09:09 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 10:24 AM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty-dog- View Post
Apparently your not aloud to mix models you have paid for, with parts from another company.

even though you pay ridiculous amounts on this plasti-crack, you still dont own it, just remember that kids.
The difference there is that the bit you quoted is a load of GW "honest we read the law" bollocks, you can stick a fucking my little pony on your model if you want to, walk into a GW and call the police yourself - you did nothing wrong (other than wasting police time).

However, casting copies of any copyright material is illegal, whether you intend to use it, sell it or smash it into unrecognizable pulp.

And yes, please DO NOT ask about this on the forum.

Anyway, it is wholly more satisfying to make your own stuff and cast it - you get a unique model and you learn some new modelling skills.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 11:33 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

As the chapterhouse suit has proven - what GW allege you cannot do and what you legally cannot do are two entirely different buckets of fish.

Agreed that copying parts by using casting to do it is not cost effective, though.
(Not even down under - where the retail prices seem to encourage it).

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 11:48 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblematrix View Post
The difference there is that the bit you quoted is a load of GW "honest we read the law" bollocks, you can stick a fucking my little pony on your model if you want to, walk into a GW and call the police yourself - you did nothing wrong (other than wasting police time).
What they actually said was illegal was creating a production run of conversions for sale. As a conversion is a derivative work GW IP still applies.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, I didn't feel I was breaking forum rules, as the copy would have been a middle step and not an end result, regardless I don't recommend the method after having attempted it and to be on the safe side I'm reporting my own thread just in case it's in the best interest of the community to take it down. I've been wrong about things before lol, no problem being wrong again. Mistakes are made.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode