What stops you from painting? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 08:04 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Lack of patience coupled with lack of confidence.

Conversion work (to me at least) is easy and takes virtually no time. You cut, you glue, you;re done. Sure, you can spend time fabricating parts and there's a lot of time spend figuring out what pieces go where but generally speaking, it;s instant gratification and you can generally repair anything you mess up without too awful much work.

Painting, however, takes FOREVER if you;re doing it right. There's sooooooo much technique and skill and talent involved.
Even a run of the mill paint job requires several repetitions of the 'paint/dry/paint/dry' song and dance. Meanwhile if you want a GOOD paint job there's multiple layers, thinning of paints, ink washes, etc.

Ugh.

Not only do I have no interest in literally watching paint dry, I don't want to ruin my pains-taking conversion work with a sloppy less-than-perfect paintjob.

So all my beautiful conversions remain unpainted and will probably stay that way til some enterprising pro painter decides to paint everything I make for free as some kind of crazy PR stunt.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 09:34 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

It depends what I have to watch/listen to while I paint. I've got enough white light to paint without daylight, but if there's nothing interesting to listen to while I'm painting it's very hard to find the motivation to paint more termagants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofVulkan View Post
I can't go anywhere near my models when my 2 year old daughter is awake. "Can I 'ave a look at your army men daddy","Me do some painting daddy." It just doesn't work. By the time she's settled in bed about 7:30 and after a long day at work, sitting on the sofa and catching up with some TV takes a lot less effort.
8 or 9 years ago my little sister decided to touch up a couple of my finished Word Bearers when I was out somewhere. I was pretty pissed off when I got back and noticed splodges of boltgun metal over one of my chaos marines. Thankfully she seemed to have given up pretty quickly and even put the top back on the paint pot, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. She would only have been 6 or 7 at the time, but I was fuming
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 09:51 AM
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

Mine used to be playing ps3 but i have not been on there for a while. and neck and eyes hurting from painting.

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 12:24 PM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Time and energy: With hospital visits/treatments every two days, both are at a premium. That, and the loss (due to fire) of my only FLGS has put a real crimp in my painting motivation...

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 12:34 PM

VanAlberict's Flag is: USA

Core units... After so many it just bogs me down.

Also lack of ideas but its very rare.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 01:17 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Three things.

Firstly, is my lack of patience. When I am on a roll painting a fig I will always try to do it faster, like painting certain parts while others are drying and the such, which is a horrible habit. It makes me mess up to no end and certain minis have seen the bin I am too ashamed to keep trying.

Secondly, I have no motivation. This is partly coupled with my last point. Sometimes, even though I love it, I just can't be bothered with painting since I a am bit of a perfectionist. This means I have weird painting sprees of a couple hours at outrageously times like 2 in the morning.

Lastly, and the most prevalent barrier, is that I feel anything I do will have been done better and quicker by someone else. I know it is dumb, but it means that I stress myself out perfecting my painting and trying to original. It is for this reason in the past 6 months I have paintin about 10 figs, 3 of which have been exiled to drawers hopefully never to be seen again and 2 of them binned.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 02:53 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Back and butt ache, I really need to invest in a better chair, my current one is killing me!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 02:28 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think I suffer from a frustration felt by many, what I want my models to look like and what they end up looking like

Also I get distracted and put of using new techniques for fear of mucking up my models

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode