Too blue? Help needed folks... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Logaan's Flag is: England

Default Too blue? Help needed folks...

I have 1000pts of Space Marines, fully painted. I posted a few pictures of them when I first joined Heresy, but since then they have been stuck in a box looking sort of forlorn and without purpose.

These guys are very......blue;

I painted these over the course of about three years, and casting my eyes over them now.....I don't like them. I don't like the highlights, the white helmets are poorly done, ditto the black inlay on the shoulder pads, they have no insignia or icons, they just feel poorly done.

Now here's the thing - how difficult would you say it would be to turn these into Ultramarines - is the base blue too dark?

Help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 05:24 PM

Tymesious's Flag is: USA

Guess it kind of depends on how you feel about them. To me its a little dark, I use Enchanted Blue (Dont know what they call it now) as the top color for my Ultramarines but I also don't follow the complete Ultramarine color scheme. I think the darker blue could look fine but maybe brighten up the highlights a little. But I am still a new painter so I can't give you definite help just my opinion ;P
If you want to take a look at the color of blue my marines are here is the link:

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122275

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 05:27 PM

Warpath's Flag is: England

I thought they was Ultramarines! The blue it self is fine, what i'd do is shade them more and make the hightlights standout more. Pick out more of the details which would then break up the blue and if you are to change them to Ultras then some insignias would help break it up even more. And maybe go down the route of painting the bolters red for a spot of colour but this is down to personal taste.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 05:56 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

That's really the problem with Space Marines...they're predominantly one colour and their armour provides a lot of space for that colour to be shown. Your paint jobs are good, it just looks like to me you've spent more time painting the armour and doing those highlights than you have on the blacks and silvers. The assault marine looks like it could use maybe a splash of silver or bone on the skull to bring it out, that entire centre piece is meant to be a clamp for the jump pack and it just looks like black right now. I find that the more time you spend on the small details of space marines the more you have to distract from the general one colour scheme that a lot of the more popular chapters have.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 10:19 PM

Melikor40k's Flag is: Australia

i agree with giving them a shade or 2 over the blue just to make it stand out a bit more, and picking out the small details as suggested like the skulls, perhaps adding some script to the knee pads and shoulders might break it up a little and laurels to the veteran/sarg helms
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-13, 12:27 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

In all fairness bro, they don't look that BLUE!!! in the flesh

I'm not much of a technical painter, but if you darkened the colours up very slightly and slapped on the insignia etc you'll be good to go

Are you planning on building them up then? You need to catch up to my 3000+ if you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-13, 12:49 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

I think i blue was would make them look really good, it would dull down the colour a bit, so they wouldnt be so bright.

the marines look pretty good as they are, but when it comes to the dreadnaught i think there needs to be something to break up the panels etc. a black wash in the indents and where panels meet to make a shade would really make them look quite good, aswell as a slightly lighter highlight to bring the edges foward.

same could be said about the terminator, i think they really just need shading on the blue areas.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 06:00 AM

Lokil's Flag is: Germany

I agree with the others, turning them into Ultramarines shouldn't be too big of a problem since they already look a lot like them! One thing that I feel like should be noted though is that you did a great job on the skin and the eyes (not helmet).

As for advise, it seems like you used to dry/thick paint, especially on the white and black.
Mixing my white with water solved that problem for me in about 2 minutes ;)

Lokil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode