My first Chaos Marine - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-13, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

Default My first Chaos Marine

I decided to collect an Emperor's children army and today I have been working on snap fits to make a scheme. I finally decided for this one:

It is a bit messy, because it's the first time I try to do highlighting: I usually only drybrush, but besides that, I am quite satisfied with the colors.

The Emperor protects.

Last edited by Keen4e; 03-10-13 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 12:11 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

its abit hard to give good comments as the photos are quite dull and fuzzy. it looks like the pink needs a few more coats as you can see the black undercoat. if you going with this color scheme i would use a white or grey primer. you will find that the pink will look much better. other than like i said try and post up some better pic for us to see. good paint scheme tho
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment. I've uploaded photos with a slightly better quality. I was actually using a white undercoat.
I just put a first layer of purple, because I did not want them to be completely pink, but I am not yet very skilled when it comes to work with several layers.

The Emperor protects.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 11:51 AM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Try adding some washes, a simple coat of black wash will do wonders for you. Drybrushing looks to be faily well executed. Good job!

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 12:46 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I prefer devlan mud (brown, dont know new name) for most colours

You could maybe even try with same colour, aka pink wash. That's especially good for blending highlights with base colour. Just repair all messy parts before applying wash, it will be difficult to repair after (i frakked up many figures that way, its difficult to apply base coat and wash again to only part of figure).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 11:21 AM

Agree with the previous comments about black wash. Wouldn't worry if it was your first one. Really liking the colour scheme!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 02:42 PM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

A purple wash would look better with the pink. Reikland Flesh Shade (brown) would also work, it's also excellent for shading gold.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 07:15 AM

Lokil's Flag is: Germany

A few things that are quick and will improve your miniature a lot.
Make sure all parts are covered with the color of your choice in their entirety, I can still see the white undercoat on the Marines right hand.
Highlight all colors, there are probably situations where only a base color is enough to make it look good. I have not seen that happening yet though Make sure not just the pink/purple is highlighted but also the black and gold and any other color that you use.
Aim for a cleaner painting job and take your time, I feel like hitting myself when I accidentally paint over something that I have already finished and have to go over it again... like the gold on the black shoulderpad. Keeping the paint where it is supposed to be and keeping it away from the areas you don't want it to be in is going to notch up the look of your miniatures a lot!!!
Your Marine looks much better than my first miniature did, and that by a longshot! ;)
Keep it up

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I have opted for a purple wash. I've tried the badab black and devlan mud and really did not like it. I've assembled and painted a fully detailed Marine and here are the results:

The Emperor protects.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 08:56 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Best advice i think I can give is to slow down and take your time a little more, there are patches here and there where the paint is either patchy or missing, you really need to focus on getting a good solid coat down.
As you are going with EC in pink this is a godsend, prime the mini white then base coat the whole thing pink, armour, trim, joints, eyes, horns everything. Once you have the base coat down, hit it with the wash of your choice. Get the pink looking how you want it then, carefully and using a decent brush, go back and start picking out your details, all the stuff you didn't want pink. If its going to be metallic then start with a black base coat, apply this as carefully as you can, staying inside the lines as such, once this is done it will be far easier for you to see what's what. pick out the metallics where needed carefully and then wash them too.

Its a good choice of colours I just think the execution needs some working on.

Practice makes perfect!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode