Painting a Medieval Castle Display - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-13, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Default Painting a Medieval Castle Display

Hi guys,
So we've just designed a stone medieval castle for a display in the office and are on here for painting tips and advice. Would be great if anyone has already painted up some medieval fortifications.
We're also looking for some smallish items to go into the display with the castle and would love some advice on possible products. At this time all we've got is a grass mat. (We're not very experienced at this stuff!)
Cheers, Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-13, 06:16 PM

I haven't actually painted any medieval stuff, but for stone bricks and stuff (I have them on my bases sometimes) I generally spray/paint black, then drybrush codex grey fortress grey and a little bit of white. GW do some pretty good castle towers and such, one of the old member of staff got loads of witchfate tors for his new store and made a really big tower as they all stack easily, they are really easy to change/convert from what I have seen

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Our original plan was to spray with black and then paint on a variety of greys. From what I've gathered that seems to be the best way as well. Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 01:09 PM

Warpath's Flag is: England

When it comes to painting stone i always look at what the setting is! So the age of the building, its condition and what has been happening there as all these things should really effect how you paint the piece. The basics for a medieval type building will start the same with a black/dark grey undercoat then a few drybrush layers with your colours getting lighter.

With the first couple of drybrush layers i'd make these quite heavy but not so heavy and piant overloaded that you see the brush strokes (it has to look natural). When i paint stone i would hit it from all directions and also gently drybrush in circular motions, even dabbing at it in points. This way you make make a flat surface look like it has alot of texture to the eye. After a bit of drybrushing and depending on how you want it to look i would use a few washes. I use alot of greens and browns in specific areas picking out parts that would collect more dirt or where water would flow etc After this i would again drybush with my lightest colours and really gently drybrush in circular motions again and pick out the finest points. If the model was a diplay piece i'd then take the next step and use weathering powders to really add to the realisim and give it more earthly tones.

Here is a link to a tutorial i put on here back in 2008 - Flag stone bases. It is an old thread but it may help you see what i have just been talking about.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 03:10 PM

TyphoidLmJ's Flag is: USA

I found some textured stone spray paint at the hardware store. I forget the name brand, but it looked pretty nice when I tested it out. They sell all sorts of textured sprays at the store near my house, some are pretty well suited for terrain.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with till you understand who's in rutting command here! -Jayne
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode