How to get the Commander's helmet out of the crook of his arm: - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-13, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Kowski's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default How to get the Commander's helmet out of the crook of his arm:

Alright guys, quick question here to those who either have the models or have any tips:

There's a pair of models on Forgeworld described as the Space Marine IV Command Set. Its a Space Marine Commander with a Standard Bearer and I'd really like them for my Blood Angels army, not necessarily for games more as the centre piece in the cabinet though I'd like him to lead my force sometimes in matches.

That's all irrelevant; my question is, how to get his damn helmet out of the crook of his arm.

Here's a picture of the model in question:

As you can see, he's holding a Mk IV Maximus armour and frankly I think that helmet's one of the nicest looking ones around, but here's the rub, I'm not sure if the helmet comes separate from the arm or if its modeled that way in the spru. If it is the latter, how do you think I could take it out of there without damaging his hand, or do you think I should hit his wrist off and replace it with a fist clutching a bolt/plasma pistol etc?

The respirator pipe seems to go between his thumb and forefinger of his hand but I don't think I'd have a tool small enough to cut that free; if anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate it. At 20 its somewhat of an investment for two models and I'd really like them to look fantastic, so any tips, again, would be really appreciated.

"I believe in three tenets of battle - firepower, firepower and more firepower. Should the Omnissiah have wished otherwise, he would not have provided me with such a mighty tool as the Razorback. I long for the day in which my entire Chapter can ride to war in transports such as these, vehicles whose rage can be given voice through their sanctified armament." -Kardan Stronos, Chapter Master of the Iron Hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-13, 10:54 PM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

the helmet comes modeled into the arm as 1 peice , if your good with GS you would be ok to cut away the arm , but the back of the helmets tucked quite well into the arm/cloak.

Edit- took a few pics, sorry u cant see the back of the helmet to clearly but might give u a better idea

u might be better going to a bitz site to buy a new helmet as the other char u get in the pack has the same helmet aswell

Last edited by kickboxerdog; 01-03-13 at 11:00 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-13, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickboxerdog View Post
the helmet comes modeled into the arm as 1 peice , if your good with GS you would be ok to cut away the arm , but the back of the helmets tucked quite well into the arm/cloak.

u might be better going to a bitz site to buy a new helmet as the other char u get in the pack has the same helmet aswell
Ahh yeah, I see your point. Thanks for the pictures, that made it clear. I use a modeling clay not unlike Green Stuff, I may try and replicate the helmet, make a few copies and see if I can't get a reasonable copy of it. Though it may be easier to cut away between the helmet and cloak and clay up the back of the helmet, it looks as if only a bit of the Commander's crest-plume is actually tucked into the cloak, it seems to be mostly made up of the rear of the helmet, in which case I can more easily model the rear plate of the helmet then the plume.

Again, as you say, I could steal the Standard Bearer's helmet and use that, maybe even cut that crest off and stick it on vertically across his helmet, rather then horizontally.

They are lovely models, its just a shame they modeled it with the helmet in such a ridiculous place, though I assume they must've had a reason, but I'd rather have had the helmet on and a master-crafted looking firearm in his hand.

However, again, thank you for the pictures that makes it a lot easier to see.

"I believe in three tenets of battle - firepower, firepower and more firepower. Should the Omnissiah have wished otherwise, he would not have provided me with such a mighty tool as the Razorback. I long for the day in which my entire Chapter can ride to war in transports such as these, vehicles whose rage can be given voice through their sanctified armament." -Kardan Stronos, Chapter Master of the Iron Hands.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-13, 05:07 AM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

You could get similar helmets off Bits sites for relatively cheap and far less hassle than all the sculpting. For getting the helmet out, if you just want a smooth looking hand, get a dremmel tool with a carving or sanding attachment and carve it out like that; this will pretty much destroy the helmet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-13, 05:25 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Have you tried shouting "INCOMINGGG !!!! "

Just a thought.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-13, 01:14 PM

Thomas Mondrup's Flag is: Denmark

FW sells a command pack with among its contents is a plummeted mk. IV helmet

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all."
Primarch Mortarion
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-13, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens View Post
You could get similar helmets off Bits sites for relatively cheap and far less hassle than all the sculpting. For getting the helmet out, if you just want a smooth looking hand, get a dremmel tool with a carving or sanding attachment and carve it out like that; this will pretty much destroy the helmet though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mondrup View Post
FW sells a command pack with among its contents is a plummeted mk. IV helmet
Cheers guys, thanks for the tips! Just visited a few 40K bitz sites and picked up a few add ons. I'd really like those Mk. III Marines in the new Horus Heresy; but 30(60?) Marines would have to be made of gold for me to fork out 130 for them. As nice as they are, they'd look good with the Commander at the head.

But again, thanks for the tips fellas, I agree though Silens, it'd have destroyed the helmet and the other helmet looked to hard to remove the crest from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Have you tried shouting "INCOMINGGG !!!! "

Just a thought.
I tried that, it just looked at me. On a serious note, it did always look odd to me in the fluff that many Space Marines went without helmets into battle, though a few books do mention that they run the risk of snipers, etc. I can understand with Commanders, Captains etc, usually they run with Iron Halos which would protect that, but for others. Meh, just as a random side note.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode