World Eaters for Fun and Skulls - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Doomed One

SonofMalice's Flag is: USA

Default World Eaters for Fun and Skulls

Now that school is out and I have my free time back (for a brief moment) I decided to overhaul and repaint my CSMs. I settled on doing the World Eaters due to an over abundance of red paint, a nice even number already assembled and not needing to be modded, and a promise to my adversaries that I would get a nice CSM army up and running before next semester. The army list is very fluffy and I will be posting updates with vehicles, differing units and heroes of course (when I get them done).

The paint scheme I decided on was simple (only about 12 paints including wash and gloss) and meant for tabletop and not to win any beauty prizes (though one hopes they aren't horrible to look at). So, without further ado, here are the first 3 Berzerkers (the one with two chainswords is the Skull Champion)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Basecoat.jpg (329.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2. Main Coat.jpg (327.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3. Metal-Boltgun.jpg (338.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4. Secondary Paints.jpg (369.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 5. Metal-Bronze.jpg (329.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 6. Highlights and Gloss.jpg (328.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7. Side view.jpg (318.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8. Skull Champion.jpg (326.8 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 08:49 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Wow, not seen WE one for a while you really are digging back through time with that one.

Never been a real fan of glossed minis so I'll skip over that but over all they are looking to be shaping up to be good Table Top quality paint jobs.

Once the basing is done it will be easier to tell whats going on as that will tone down the over all redness of the models and make them pop a bit more.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 01:06 AM
OgreChubbs's Flag is: Canada

You applied the paint way to think the face/helmet is lost in it and filled up over the layers of red. Try and use thinner layers

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Doomed One

Thanks for the responses, it's always good to get new ideas. To the good viscount. Thanks for the encouragement I am thinking of basing them on sand with a few effects (enemy helms etc) so that should help a little. I had considered green or burnt grass for a contrast but it didn't seem in tune with the world eaters. To ogrechubbs. Yeah I keep watering it down but it ended up that way. Still feeling my way and all. By no means an artist. Any tips/suggestions? I need all the help I can get and a little bit more!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 02:02 AM
OgreChubbs's Flag is: Canada

Well it is not so much of water it down like people say just monitor how much is on ur brush.

Personally I never had a need to water down many paints. I dip the very tip in and paint til I cover as much area as I can and before it drys swipe the brush over it again to get any air bubbles/blobs I can's see.

Watering it down could also have been a problem watering it down incorrectly can make more mess then leaving it alone. To much water will make it like a ink and slide it into the recesses which was your problem with the eyes.

Gloss varnish is usually frowned on because it makes them shinney and no one really mentions it but if ur by the coats like yours truely it is never dry enough to use a sprayer outside of a spray booth so u get blobs and nasty effect on the model.

You seemed to start with a red base coat rather then black or white. not to big of a issues but can cause the red to be brighter then it should be. Starting with a darker red will help alot. I had a model on here where I went for black in the deepest recesses was going for a anime megna effect. Where starting with a dark dark colour will help alot.

Buying oil like nuln oil will help with metals you can basically not mess it up even if you try lol. Place that on top of the metals to get rid of a shine unreal look and add mucky look/shade to it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Doomed One

Interesting. Part of the problem was that these were old OLD models and I left them to soak in a paint remover. The paint, alas ended up clumping on no matter hard I scrubbed. Also I'm doing this much more for speed and availability of paints than anything else, tabletop and no more. I know my limits lol. I will be trying your method out tomorrow though, also looking for the oil you mention. I know gloss is frowned on but I kinda like the look and, in honesty, I have leagues to go before I'm good enough to try matte painting. I did start on a primer of white and airbrushed the base coat of red on. In retrospect I might have over painted that layer too. Such is the price a novice pays alas. I will be looking for your stuff when I have the time for good ideas on what to do, if that's OK of course. Thanks for the ideas and critique!

Last edited by SonofMalice; 12-21-12 at 02:49 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode