Tips/Tricks/Ideas for salvaging Starter Set Dark Angels? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Tips/Tricks/Ideas for salvaging Starter Set Dark Angels?

While it's awesome that someone other than Ultrasmurfs is being featured in the starter set this time around, I must say I'm a bit miffed at HOW MUCH DA iconography everything is encrusted with. The smurfs from last couple sets were almost unmarked, just a couple things on the commander if I recall.

These...even the tacticals have molded-in DA logos on the shoulders and chests. The characters, bikes and terminators are all just encrusted with flying swords and feathers

They look gorgeous, but I don't play dress-wearing goth marines.
I play nipple-armored goth marines.

For me, this won't be *too* hard to deal with, I did similar converting DA vets into a Death company. Shave the crossguards off the swords, round the tips of the swords, perhaps use a little GS, trim the feathers to be pointy rather than square and you've got a flying blood drop instead of a sword. We both like angels, so trim the distinctive flared tip on the swords they're carrying and you're pretty much set...maybe a little GS to turn hoods to girly locks on the tiny sculpted-on angels. Stray feathers and swords can be clipped off or just ignored (again, change the flared tip) even still there's going to be some tough stuff to ignore.

Meanwhile I'm really curious what non-DA marine players are planning to do to these beautiful figs to make them fit in with their stuff?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 07:01 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just dremmel the stuff off or file it back, they are plastic after all.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

True, but there's just sooooo much detail to cover up, clip off or file away.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 08:25 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well i think the key is to accept that some of it will be impossible to remove, but the main stuff is the DA icons in the important places like shoulders, the trophy type stuff can be left alone.
i think the deathwing will be the most difficult to sort out, but a bit of green stuff here ,filing there and a purity seal or oath of moment liturgy cloth will cover alot up.
If i had time i would consider doing this as a project log, but im snowed under

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 09:54 AM

newt_e's Flag is: England

I ordered a set, and then started to wonder how moulded the iconography was going to be, and I think the earlier post from Galahad has answered that. (I do like the look of the cultists. )

I'm not good enough to be able to remodel the icons, so I started to look at the successor chapters (and all of those have different insignia). So how stupid/foolish/just-plain-wrong would it be to paint them in different colours (black armour, green icons, gold eagle) and claim they were a "new" successor chapter?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 10:02 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

There's a lot to do but i'm willing to do it.

I'm not bothered about the little trophies, wings or feathers (they're fairly generic to my mind, especially if done in a different paint job), mainly the shoulder pads and larger symbols which should be relatively simply to file and scrape off and tidy up with some green stuff. Given that it's moulded on to those tactical's shoulders i might simply fill the recessed areas in, could be faster and neater.

Is that Dark Angels symbol on the Librarian's robe, on the chest painted or moulded on? Getting that off could be a bit of a bugger.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 10:10 AM

Zetronus's Flag is: Great Britain

I am only really interested in the Chaplin and the Librarian to be honest, If they are shall we say re-brandable to ultrasmurfs then I will hunt down these models.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 10:14 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I will not be certain of my approach to each model until I see the sprues; however my current strategy is to start with the mindset that the set is cheaper than buying templates and the chaos models (assuming they were sold at equivalent to similar kits) so if I damage a couple with experimental cutting/filing too badly to GS they are still effectively free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_e View Post
So how stupid/foolish/just-plain-wrong would it be to paint them in different colours (black armour, green icons, gold eagle) and claim they were a "new" successor chapter?
Not at all in my opinion.

I had a similar musing about keeping much of the iconography and painting the them in deep blue with the wings in bright rainbow colours to make Tzeentchian CSM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 01:15 PM

Were I to pick up the set I think I may leave the icons alone. I'm contemplating picking this up, but, not sure of 'when' I'll pick it up. However, I think I would just keep the set as is for the purpose of playing just the box game without major additions to it
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 03:29 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

My BA army just got DA allies. I have an unpainted rhino for the tac squad if I choose and an unpainted but magnetized LR that I could deathwing it up for. Personally....I'm glad to paint something other than my army's colours for a few minutes, hahaha.

Might even just paint my other tactical squad green....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode