Dark Eldar with OSL - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-12, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Dark Eldar with OSL

Ok, sometimes I create an excuse to put object source lighting on a mini that doesn't necessarily call for it. But then, sometimes there are minis that just scream for it, and I feel like I've done them a disservice if it isn't included.

The Dark Eldar Mandrakes are exactly those kinds of minis. Here are a few that I did with various colors of light:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-12, 04:42 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

The blue osl lighting looks best in my opinion. The purple looks odd and I don't think the green looks as nice as the blue.

Also, on the archon (?) It's hard to tell if some of that green is source lighting or was on the model originally.

They look good, but I do think they'd look better with blue osl.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-12, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
The Dark Eldar Mandrakes are exactly those kinds of minis. Here are a few that I did with various colors of light:
Really like how you did that green OSL. I could use that for my necrons. Man, those models just look amazing, very well done sir.

How did you do that and what colors did you use?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-12, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
Really like how you did that green OSL. I could use that for my necrons. Man, those models just look amazing, very well done sir.

How did you do that and what colors did you use?
Ok, for OSL techniques, there are a ton of tutorials and write ups online, including one I wrote myself.

Basically, you paint the mini normally, then add the lighting at the end. When painting minis that have normal lighting as well, it is important to make lit areas lighter than other areas on the minis, and the source itself needs to be the lightest part of the mini (in this case it is the bottom of the flames and fingers area).

For placement, mostly you turn the mini sideways and highlight up that way. Assume that light travels in straight lines, and light areas by imagining straight lines drawn from the source. Then it is a matter of making the places closer to the source lighter than other places.

The colors I used for the green are a mix of P3 Gnarls Green, P3 Necrotite green and pure white. The source went all the way up to pure white.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 02:40 AM

Ninjurai's Flag is: USA

+REP Epic....

"Matt Ward is a veteran of a millionbillion battles and once destroyed an entire sector when he sneezed and farted at the same time."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:51 AM

cirs85's Flag is: USA

the mandrakes (think they are mandrakes?) look awesome, love em. The Archon, think you might of gone overboard a bit but it still works. and awesome osl tut too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 03:27 PM
Searching for Vulkan

HorusReborn's Flag is: USA

I'm with Immortal Reaper on this one. The Blue OSL looks best. I don't know what's up with the archon though, with your abilities, you've shown us something that looks like a test piece you did about 15 years ago! Sorry man, that Archon looks garbage and way below standard for you!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 01:59 AM

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

Those are amazing. I would really like to see a step by step walk through so I could do this for my new Raven Guard army!

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 02:17 AM

strickly speaking I have to agree that the blue looks the best in general, but I think that with the mandrake model it takes away from the mood of the figure because sky blue doesn't have a great evil undertone. Thus I have to vote for the green. The three pink and purple are much less convincing than the others.

rep

4,220 CSM
2,320 Necrons
1,870 eldar
1,000 witch hunters (trying to get rid of this)
1,000 SM (trying to get rid of this)
680 Tau (newest addition)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode