Thinning Paint Question... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Six_Paths_of_Pain's Flag is: USA

Default Thinning Paint Question...

Ok, so I see alot of people on Youtube use Water as a Paint Thinner (and they do pretty damn good job), but people from many sources say that Water shouldn't be used, instead use a Paint Thinner... but why? What does water do to paint if used as a thinner?

Also, if any recommendation on thinner, please let me know That is, if water is not an option

Thanks.

The Crying Wolves

Visit my Deviantart

Last edited by Six_Paths_of_Pain; 05-05-12 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 07:28 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Nonsense.

Water is perfectly fine for acrylic paints (which is what citadel, vajello etc are). Water will, like any thinner, dilute and thin the paint, so if you over-saturate with water then you'll lose coverage and end up with coloured water (which can actually be useful to create glazes).

Generally you'll want to thin your paint to about milk consistency. At that level it will apply smooth and cover well and not obscure detail. It may take more than one layer but it always better to do 2 thin coats than 1 thick.

edit-There are a range of products like flow improvers, glazing mediums, drying retardants and the like available to help achieve the smoothest possible layers and finish but i wouldn't call those thinners.

If you airbrush though then you'll likely want to cut the paint with a thinner. Generic windex works very well.

Last edited by Rems; 05-05-12 at 07:41 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 07:29 AM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

You can use water, and if you don't overload your brush, water is perfectly acceptable as a thinner.

You can use a predesigned thinner for smooth basecoats however. Vallejo does one that I use to thin for airbrush work. I also have my own mix made out of several kinds of acrylic mediums (flow improver, glaze medium, matt medium and some slow dry)...

Lahmia medium is GW's newest in this department, and I must admit I personally haven't used it yet, but I've been hearing nothing but good thing about this new addition to the paintline.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 07:45 AM

kuriojichan's Flag is: Great Britain

I've always used good old tap water and never had an issue. There are lots of odd horror stories around the net which people attribute to the water being used but I haven't experienced this myself and wonder if often something else is really to blame. I guess it's possible if you live in an area with bizarre water quality (the kind that maybe glows in the dark), Victorian lead pipes etc.

I have recently experimented with using the GW medium and got some interesting results both as a wash (so mixed with a fair bit of water) and as a glaze (a little less water and paint).

Back in the day I had never heard of anyone watering paints down and we all painted straight from the pot. I do find myself watering paints down ever so slightly these days as Rems says it prevents flooding and obscuring any fine detail.

"many people, especially girls, will actually flee screaming when they see them" -- skylifter

WIP Tyranid army (750pt)

My painting blog : Better lead than dead
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 08:18 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use water with a drop of soap in it to kill the surface tension and aid flow,that is perfectly suficent for anyone who isnt a golden deamon winner,this is the problem with you tube and similar it causes confusion even about the simple things.
all you need is water and practice

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-12, 01:41 PM

What kind of soap do you use? Dish soap?

I usually use my brush water to dilute my paints (when it's fresh anyway) and I also put a drop or two of dish soap in that water to help with brush cleaning.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-12, 06:50 PM

I heard from my friendly games workshop manager, that screen wash is good for it to. I used water up until recently and now I have started using up my 'eavy metal medium (cus now there is lahmaim medium to replace it), I don't think I could go back, the medium is basically paint without a colour. And if found when thinning mettallics with water I found that if i put in too much water it would separate and u could start to see white bits in it, medium doesn't do this, also medium helps make it smoother, even though water does this too, medium helps give a more even coverage.

That said I wouldn't be dashing to the shops anytime soon to get it, even though medium is really useful u can only start to tell the difference if u r like doing something like non-metallic metal, water is just fine there won't be a huge change in ur painting quality if you use thinner, but if you can afford it get some

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-12, 04:07 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

@Six_Paths: I'm a beginning painter too. (I started painting two months ago.) I don't remember where I saw the video, but it had the best advice I saw.

Get two containers that you will paint from. Fill one with actual milk. Get your brush and play with it. Move it up the sides, see how it flows, see how it covers/spreads on a flat surface. Memorize it.

Fill your other container with paint and begin diluting with water until it acts like how the milk did. And there you go, your paint is thinned to the consistency of milk.

It really is hard to explain in words, but once you experience it, it is hard to forget. You'll learn quickly if your paint is too dilute or not enough. Occasionally fill a container with milk to refresh your memory.

As for what water to use, if your municipal water has chlorine or fluoride additives, you may want to use bottled water.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-12, 11:41 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

IMO thinner is meant for when you decide to be insane and use oil paints, water isn't going to break down oils. Now acrylics are a water based form of paint and thinning it calls for water, this is partially why many who paint canvas on a budget use acrylics, but most often canvas painting is done with oil based. For miniatures use acrylics, thin with water.

I myself was like many I use to go straight from the pot, but have learned to get better results, thin it with water, expeirmint with consistancy unitl you find what you are comfortable with. Using the right consistancy can help you with proper blending techniques, and don't be afraid to mix paints, they are paints they want to be mixed, trust me on this one, not to mention you can achieve some really different selections of color than what is already on the shelf. Also thinning the paint helps you get a more smoother coat, if your paint is too thick it will hide detail and can be globby.

The tools you need to become a good painter are there, it all depends on how creative you can be, never be afraid to play around with it all, its like buying a new transformer, you gotta figure how to go from robot to car somehow.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-12, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Using thinner retains the opacity of the color. water tends to water it down (duh! lol).

Strange, but not a Stranger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode