New Paints - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Default New Paints

I've been using the old paints until they're gone, but I've been browsing the new citadel paints and they look rather nice. Though I'm curious if anybody had bought the entire set for $536 from GW. If my math is correct, I believe buying separately would be $543.75 so the savings really isn't all that much. Also, do you buy all the paints you'll need for your entire army or do you buy one or two here and there as you need them? I'm just kind of wondering who they're marketing the entire paint set to. Personally, I just buy colors as I need them (besides the base colors and main theme colors of my army).

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 04:56 PM

Ultra1's Flag is: USA

i typically only buy what i need when i need it as i have a solid base of paints from older projects.

when calculating the price remember that you also get the large carryign case which is ~$100 so you do end up getting a pretty decent discount.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 06:24 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

I generally buy paints as I need them. Or I plan a scheme and buy the ones I don't have. I have a stockpile of the paints I usually use from the old range, so I'll be buying the new paints as I use up what I already have.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 06:29 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

The new paints certainly look better than before, but its far too expensive for them all

I also usually just buy paints as and when needed

I really want to dip into the foundry paints though, the guys round my area use them and they come out so amazing, so I might start with the basic starter set for them
http://wargamesfoundry.com/paint_and...04/?sector_id=
And get there washes too
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 07:30 PM

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra1 View Post
i typically only buy what i need when i need it as i have a solid base of paints from older projects.

when calculating the price remember that you also get the large carryign case which is ~$100 so you do end up getting a pretty decent discount.
The set doesn't come with the case. That was a limited release item.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
The new paints certainly look better than before, but its far too expensive for them all

I also usually just buy paints as and when needed

I really want to dip into the foundry paints though, the guys round my area use them and they come out so amazing, so I might start with the basic starter set for them
http://wargamesfoundry.com/paint_and...04/?sector_id=
And get there washes too
I haven't heard too much about foundry, in my area at least. Surprising, citadel comes out better as far as price goes compared to foundry. Though, I've never had problems with citadel paints. It's when I tried going to other acrylics that they just don't seem to turn out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra1 View Post
If that were the case, then it would seem like it was a halfway decent deal. Though, if it was a limited deal, as it seems to be, doesn't seem worth the price.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 09:02 PM
Banned

Price wise I think foundry come out better, 8 for 60ml of paint compared to gw and its 6.90 for I think its 12ml of paint each pot, so 36ml (assuming 3 pots for shade, main and highlight), so 1.10 for almost double the paint?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

The ones I saw on foundry were $7.15 for 20 ml while citadel are sold at $3.70 for 12 ml. Foundry costs 35.75 cents per ml where citadel cost 30.83 cents per ml. Not a huge difference but it can add up.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 09:32 PM
Banned

Thank god for English prices then
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
Thank god for English prices then
Yeah, looks like foundry works out better for you where as citadel works out better for me. Odd, given that citadel is based in the U.K. too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode