New GW paints and Airbrushing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

Default New GW paints and Airbrushing

With the recent release of the new paint range I wonder if anyone has tried using them with a real airbrush (not the GW thing). If anyone has I would be interested to know what thinning ratio and medium was used and how well the spraying went.

Cy

Last edited by Cypher871; 04-13-12 at 08:57 AM. Reason: syntax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-12, 12:43 PM
JeroenFM's Flag is: Netherlands

I can't say from experience, but I think thinning ratio will be the same as other paint ranges (Old Citadel, Vallejo, etc): differs from color to color.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-12, 01:35 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I USED to use 1 part water 2 parts paint with the old paints but I've not tried with the new. They looked to be about the same consistency when I trialled them but time will tell.

I should have a better idea in a month !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cheers Magpie. I bought a couple of airbrushes and a compressor last year but have not had the opportunity to use them yet as my garage is falling down and is in the lengthy process of being replaced...hopefully I will have a new all singing all dancing studio to work from by June.

I didn't want to go with the vallejo Airbrush paints as the range is, well, boring and more suited to military scale models. I had not heard whether anyone had used GW paints in airbrushes so was/am curious.

If anyone else can advise on dilution ratio's and media used that would be great. I know Djinn24 is a big Airbrush user.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 07:54 AM
Banned

I have heard that the new paints do airbrush a lot better than the old so that is encouraging.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com.a...-with-new.html

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 04-13-12 at 08:03 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 08:03 AM
JeroenFM's Flag is: Netherlands

Well this is going to sound like a cliche (since it's repeated everywhere airbrushes are mentioned), but usually there isn't a set ratio for thinning paints, as the consistency of the paint differs from one color to the next. What they usually say is to aim for the consistency of skimmed milk. I've found that this is a pretty good guidelines.

I can say that I'm not too fond of using water as a paint thinner for airbrushes (this was with old Citadel):
  • Not enough water -> Airbrush clogs up
  • Too much water -> Paint flows right off the model

Ever since I got my HS Ultra, I've used Vallejo Game Color thinned with Vallejo thinner. Not enough thinner means the airbrush clogs up just like with water, but I haven't managed to use "too much" thinner yet.

I usually add some thinner, mix the paint, see if it flows freely, and add more if needed.

I usually try to get my paint around this consistency, which seemed waaaay too much at first, but really works:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 08:07 AM
Banned

Thanks for that vid mate, I've wanted for a long time to find an actual demonstration of what "the consistency of milk" actually is !
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-12, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Innovative Forge-Lord

Nice one gents, thanks for the advice. I have some Revell Aqua Colour Mix which is a combined thinner and medium extender so I will have to experiment. I have two fairly inexpensive airbrushes bought solely to practice with really. The badger 200NH which is a single action AB and a BD133 which is a dual action AB (my wife actually bought it me last Christmas before I even had a compressor ) once I get proficient I will move onto better quality Airbrushes...gotta start somewhere I suppose.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 07:12 PM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

While I just use the GW thing, I've been airbrushing my necrons at a ration of 1 part paint to 2 parts water with the new leadbelcher base and they've come out looking great. I'll probably be posting some pics in a log later. Haven't experimented too much with the ratio though.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode