There are days that what I pull out of my bitz box scares me... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-12, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

So I've been bitz box diving and working on some of the things for my upcoming RPG games.

Threw together another Grey Knight:

Nothing special beyond the ammo belt and the base.

Ran across a used Tech marine body. So I tossed it into a vat of simple green, came back to it the next day, did some scrubbing, based it and decided to build a conversion beamer for it. I got as far as you can see in the picture there and... I just kind of lost my train of thought about where I was going with it. The beamer I mean. *shrugs* I donno if I figure out what to do with it, I'll come back to it.

I've started painting the first Grey Knight I posted:

Just a basic job so far. Coat of Boltgun metal. some chaos black detailing. Some Scorched brown detail in preparation for gold details later. Did the blade with a layer of Necron abyss. I'm going to try and high light up to a very bright blue or perhaps skull white. Have to see how far my skills take me.

The base. I do so enjoy Dragon Force's bases. He does such amazing work with his bases. Here I put down a layer of dheneb stone, dry brush of Khomando Kommando Khaki, and come back with a wash of devlin mud paying attention to the grooves between bricks.

I do so hate re-base coating in white on a black base. 7 coats of skull white...

I'm going to try and make the ammo belt look like it's brass casings with enchanted silver bullets. So I'm going to build up the brass with Tin bits and then try to blend blues into the tips. At least that's the plan. Guess we'll see if I'm up to it.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-12, 10:07 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

These look pretty awesome, my Dungeons and Dragons group has a similar thing going. We have a comunity model cabinet for DnD which anyone can contribute to, as many of us don't play warhammer fantasy but have played 40k for a long time we've all picked up odds and ends from lord of the rings and heroquest over the years that has joined the communal monster dump. we've got some pretty good stuff in there now and as we rotate dungeon masters it's slowly growing as more people join the group or find something that they just fancy painting in a second hand shop.

good work on putting together such a mixed group of minis.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

So, timing has not been kind to my RPG group of late with us being forced to take basically the entire month of April off and the last 2 weeks of March as well. So... bleh. On the plus side it has afforded me time to get painting and building done for the campaigns. And I've been working pretty hard the last couple days. Hopefully some of you have seen my in-depth review of the Storm Raven.

Well I've also been working on the models for the campaigns as well.

First up: The Guardsman.

These guys are just base coated and have no highlighting beyond the khakis.
For those interested:

The Khaki recipe is as
3 layers of watered down Bleached bone
2 coats of Devlen mud.
High light with Kommando Khaki.

Then we've got the traitor/herectics. Again, just based coated.

Here we have my character for the upcoming Death Watch game, Ultramarines Brother Quintus:

Quintus still has a fair amount of work left to do in the form of highlighting. The Muzzle flash still needs coloring and there's other details I want to pick out as I go.

The Grey Knight. Nuff said really.

Broodlord number 1! I wanted to make the broodlord look like it knew how to hide and thus would be located in an area that helped it hide. So I chose to go with a pallet of colors that are somewhat close to each other. Bleached bones, and Khakis with washes for the most part. Considering I totally screwed up and primed the thing black when it was supposed to be white, I think it turned out really well.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

So the whether is picking up again so I can not prime right now. So I've built some new equipment for Brother Quintus:

Lascannon:

I built the Plasma cannon for him, but I can't find the back pack right now. Oh well, I'll find something before the game.

And since I can never leave well enough alone, and standard issue is insufficient and all that a belt fed Death Watch issued bolter with Scanner array mounted on the back:

Here is Brother Quintus with all his equipment presently. I still need to build a second heavy bolter with Magazine versus the ammo feed, Missile launcher, and Multi-melta. But that will come in time. We've still got a least 6 weeks till we finish the rogue trader campaign.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 08:32 AM
AG.

AG.'s Flag is: United Kingdom

Ceramite White will help you out with the basecoating white over a black spray. You'll be able to do a single coat, and then your yellow will go on fine.

Waaaaaaagggggghhhhh!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG. View Post
Ceramite White will help you out with the basecoating white over a black spray. You'll be able to do a single coat, and then your yellow will go on fine.
the yellow already goes on fine over Astronomicon Grey

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 08:22 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Loving that DW marine. The scar over his eye is really bad ass, I wouldn't be complaining if my BB was producing FW mini's of any description at all. Those Milita are very cool sculpts! The conversion beamer I like as well just needs something else on the barrel to make it look a bit longer and electrical. Nice work.

Just wondering, when you created this thread did you mean for others to post up ridiculous things that they themselves have also found in their bits boxes or just for yourself? As I have something which is rather silly that has arisen from the depths.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just wondering, when you created this thread did you mean for others to post up ridiculous things that they themselves have also found in their bits boxes or just for yourself? As I have something which is rather silly that has arisen from the depths.
Initially I just started it as a non-descript non-directed work log of my random little projects. But there's no reason it can't become a recurring "What the heck I just pulled out of my Bitz box" Kind of thread.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 12:45 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

All the parts for these guys were pulled out of my bits box:

Look closely and you will see why thats wrong! And then bare in mind that I have three more squads being built around the same concept (different armor patterns but they will all look the same with the squad.)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-12, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

So managed to get some paint on some of my DW figure. Nothing major just painted the belt-fed bolter and lascannon parts.

Also got some paint on the genestealers I'm putting up for the game.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode