Russian Themed winter Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-12, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

Default Russian Themed winter Guard

Hey there guys long time since i last posted but this is going to be a thread dedicated to my new army.

the idea im going for is something that requires a fair bit of customization as well as some new techniques.

the idea came from this guys work here: http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_...pic=15508&st=0

im also part of a tale of four gamers thing aswell, but we don't have to finish a set amount every month.

well enough talking, heres the models:
Lord Commisar Stand in (Vostroyan Officer)

First Squad:
(Pig Iron Winter Militia Heads, AK Barrels from maxmini.eu ak guns)

Heavy Bolter team (Machine Gun from Maxmini.eu)

so guys what do ya think? im stuck as to what colour to do the grenade launcher and other weapons.

also, if anyone has any good tips at how to do snow terrain would be awesome, the heavy bolter team didnt quite work out well.

hope to hear comments soon,

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 12:10 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

I like them! Bases look great but i think you should add some red to the models for theme alone mind you. Also a light dry brush of shadow grey over the fur hats to make them pop.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
For Da Boss

cheers for the tip mate definitly gunna try that one out. hopefully next time i can get some better photo's with my mothers Canon 600D. im just using a small point and shoot camera atm as cant find the charger for the other one.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 12:51 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Snow is best done with PVA glue mixed with sand. Enough togive it texture, but still fluid. The key thing is to make sure its shape is smooth, and not jagged, otherwise it comes out looking like frosting.

I find that mxing one part very fine sand with one part thick PVA glue works very well. Just stir it up and pour it onto the base and around objects. The surface tension and thickness will help to make it look like it has buried stationary objects under a layer of snow, or that people or walkers in the snow are sinking into it as they walk. As it dries you can smooth it and add details like footprints by taking a model's foot and slightly stamping the bootprint into it. Then when it dries, paint it with one part skull white and one part fortress grey, then drybrushing all the way up to pure skull white over the flat surfaces, leaving just the shadowed parts the light blue. Then give the snow a matte varnish, and you're done. Its best to add the 'snow' once the model is already on the base and the base is otherwise finished.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
For Da Boss

ive been currently using the baking soda method where ya mix it up, i like the texture of the baking soda, it looks really realistic, im more after how to make it look like its melting and snow drifts etc. ive got water effects (paste and liquid form) and glue etc. but cheers for the input.

the other one is how to make mud look like mud. ive got the mud weathering stick from tamiya aswell as the snow stick too. and im quite fond of there weathing powders.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 01:33 AM

Well, I hope at least the painting tips help you out then! Good luck, and great work so far.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 02:26 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty-dog- View Post
the other one is how to make mud look like mud
Nice looking Guard there mate - should match the Russ really well. Like Azkaellon says though, I'd slip a little red into the theme somewhere. A nice mechrite red with an Ogryn wash should be red and yet dark enough to complement without overtaking the models.

As for mud, I've seen several people try to do a muddy base, but what a lot of people seem to forget is that mud is wet. A little less definition, finer sand for example, followed by a dark mudy paint job, then finish with a thin layer of PVA or wet effect, letting a little pool in the recesses. That should do it.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 02:35 AM

And don't scrimp on the gloss varnish.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 02:39 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
And don't scrimp on the gloss varnish.
Very true - if you can find a good one you can brush on anyway.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 02:57 AM

I usually steer away from GW paints (Because of price and mediocre quality) but their gloss varnish is one of the exceptions. Also, Vallejo makes a good gloss varnish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode