Painting Help - Death Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

PointyBits's Flag is: USA

Default Painting Help - Death Guard

I know that painting skill comes with time and a lot of practice, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. I've been working on my death guard for a little while now and the "grungey/eroded/disgusting" feel I'm going for isn't translating well to my miniatures. It just looks like a sloppy paint job.

Currently, I'm doing the following:
Priming black
Base: Knarloc Green
Wash: Thraka Green
Dry Brush: Rotting Flesh
Partial Stippling: Scorched Brown
Partial Stippling: Bubonic Brown
Wash: Gryphonne Sepia
Dry Brush: Bleached Bone
Wash: Devlan Mud

Then I'm painting the details in with Tin Bits and Dwarf Bronze.

I know it's probably hard to determine what my issue is without actually seeing what I'm doing, but maybe it's that I'm using too many colors?

Here is a photos of the result (I have more in my gallery, but this one should get the point across):

Any advice?

"It is the fate of the weak to die unknown, and the destiny of the strong to rule forever. Give me glory or give me death!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:24 AM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

Try taking a few steps out of your painting process, the models aren’t bad, the paint just seems to be a bit thick. Try watering you paint down a lot, where you have multi steps to do your power armor the color should still build back up, but with a smoother thinner look. Also you could try painting the highlights in instead of dry brushing. Also one thing that will make you minis better, is the bases a nice finished bass goes a very long way to the overall look of a mini.

Like you said, more practice will make better results, your on the right track and the green you have going is very chaos, it fits well, so keep it up!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

I've got seven more to paint, I'll try a few using paint that has been thinned up and see if that helps me at all. Thank you for taking the them to take a look and give me some advice. =0)

"It is the fate of the weak to die unknown, and the destiny of the strong to rule forever. Give me glory or give me death!"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyBits View Post
I've got seven more to paint, I'll try a few using paint that has been thinned up and see if that helps me at all. Thank you for taking the them to take a look and give me some advice. =0)
no worries.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:47 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuckle View Post
. . . a nice finished bass goes a very long way . . .
Sorry mate, but I laughed my tits off at that.

Sound advice though Troy. I agree with it with just one addition.

PointyBits - I would suggest a careful use of layering rather than drybrushing, with, as Troy says a small highlight.

The problem with drybrushung a generally flat armour plate or shoulder pad is that to see any results, you have to drybrush quite heavily. That can leave an almost chalky residue on the surface that will screw up any attempts at washes or further lighter drybrushing.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 02:48 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Currently, I'm doing the following:
Priming black (good)
Base: Knarloc Green (good)
Wash: Thraka Green (skip)
Dry Brush: Rotting Flesh (good)
Partial Stippling: Scorched Brown (skip)
Partial Stippling: Bubonic Brown (skip)
Wash: Gryphonne Sepia (yellow?)
Dry Brush: Bleached Bone (good)
Wash: Devlan Mud (good, or you can do a 50/50 mix of mud and green)

I think you ahave to many steps and I agree that you need to thin your paint down some as well.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecrepitDragon View Post
Sorry mate, but I laughed my tits off at that.

Sound advice though Troy. I agree with it with just one addition.

PointyBits - I would suggest a careful use of layering rather than drybrushing, with, as Troy says a small highlight.

The problem with drybrushung a generally flat armour plate or shoulder pad is that to see any results, you have to drybrush quite heavily. That can leave an almost chalky residue on the surface that will screw up any attempts at washes or further lighter drybrushing.
ha ha ha thats Classic me for you!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuckle View Post
Also one thing that will make you minis better, is the bases a nice finished bass goes a very long way to the overall look of a mini.
These are actually the first miniatures I've ever painted, so I haven't exactly learned that step yet. I am planning on basing them all upon completion, though. I'm thinking grey rocks and maybe green and purple tinged skulls. Not 100% on that part yet.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 03:20 AM

For your first minis, you should be very proud! The base idea you have sounds cool, should fit well with your theam, just make sure they don’t overpower the mini!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 03:30 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Well now . . .
First minis you say?

And here I was thinking you were a relatively experienced painter asking about a new type of painting style. An assumption ( sorry ), I know, but one based on what is, essentially a reasonable paint job.

Adding the context of this being your "painting cherry" then I have to say that you have done a great job and have already shown us some nice models.

Keep it going mate.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode