Malifaux - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Malifaux Talk about Wyrd Miniatures Malifaux and other games here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-10, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Malifaux

Anyone here play Malifaux?

I've been interested in the system for awhile now but the lack of regular opponents in my area is a bit of a turn off. The game itself looks quite appealing as a change from warhammer now and then, the skirmish rules look pretty smooth and the models are interesting. I'm quite tempted to get a set or two to keep for quick games now and then.

If you do play what are your thoughts on the game? Which faction do you play?

I'm keen on Neverborn I think, mostly for the teddy! Anyone else interested in starting Malifaux?

Here's a linky and a pretty picture for you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 04:01 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I started Malifaux this summer when a number of people at my local club started playing.
So far I am loving it, it is a nice change from W40k. The alternative turns is a great feature for me. The card mechanic is fun, it adds some resource management to the game.
I enjoy the smaller scale as I can spend more time painting each model. Its also easier to transport.
So far I just play Guild which I have all the models for so far. I have also just started a Dreamer crew but have not used them yet.
The guild are the most straight forward faction I think, each model is pretty powerful but they are slow and cant heal or summon new units very easily. They are very good at range which makes up for this.
I mostly play Sonnia Criid who is good at magic and great against other casters.

The neverborn have some awesome models and great masters. Which one you thinking of trying?
Lilith is a melee monster and very fast, they are few models which can stand up to her in a one on one. Her crew are all about speed, they are good at hit and run attacks and grabbing objectives.
I have not played against Pandora and have only played against zorida once but I have heard they are good masters.
You can check out the wyrd forum neverborn section to get a idea of how they play.
http://www.wyrd-games.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Here is a picture of some of my guild. Sonnia Criid,Witchling stalkers and Samuel.

Last edited by Talos; 12-08-10 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Nice looking gang there Talos, thanks for the info too. I'm thinking of trying Pandora as I'm not so keen on the Lilith or Zorida models. If I did start I'd probably grab another gang too so I can more easily find opponents, possibly the Cult of December lot as the Arcanists appeal too.

Which rulebook do you play? Has everyone moved on to the new book now or do people still play the first rulebook?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 07:09 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

I have started playing earlier this year and have found that it helps a lot to have both of the rulebooks, since the new one has some updated rules in it and newer insanely powerful models whereas the first book has the base rule.

Currently I have crews for, McMourning, Lady Justice, Lilith, Nicodem, Ramos, Marcus, and Victoria. So if you are wondering which of those are like feel free to ask.

From what I gather from your posts you like the teddys. So I would suggest starting a dreamer crew since he removes the limits on the number of teddy bears that you can have.

Also after playing against the dreamer I have found that he is a pain to defeat, but you need to make sure you use his abilities correctly. And since he is mixed with lord chompy bits he can be lethal in cc.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 09:30 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Yea with the rulebooks we use the new one as well as the old one. You dont need the new one but it adds new encounter and schemes to make games more fun. It does include all the rules for the new units but so do the cards that come with each model. So its not that necessary but the new encounters and schemes do add alot to the game. Also it has alot more fluff and moves the story forward.

Last edited by Talos; 12-08-10 at 10:05 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

So what size games are normal then? The rulebook suggests 25 SS for a starter game, this is roughly one of the gang boxes correct? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some gangs come with more points than others?

Last edited by squeek; 12-08-10 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-10, 09:50 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Yes the gangs do come with variable amounts. I found that having a box plus one blister pack usually gave a decent starting force around 25 soulstones.

Since starting I usually play games of 30 to 35 soulstones though.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 07:07 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

At my club 30-35 is the normal amount. Most boxs can make a 25ss crew although some are a bit light like the Gremlins and some dont play well like the Victories and Mcmourning boxes. Pandora set is good and has everything you need. When you play higher just add Teddy and your all set.
Today Wyrd announced they are coming out with a small rulebook which will include all the rules from both books as well as changes from the eratta and FAQs. It wont have rules for models but then the cards you get do so that's not bad. It will have new fluff in it as well and it has a awesome cover artwork.
Wyrd are also releasing it free as a PDF but without the fluff and art. So that should be useful for new players who dont what to spend £40 on both rulebooks. Not sure when its out but Wyrd say "very early next year" which makes me think jan-feb.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
Wyrd are also releasing it free as a PDF but without the fluff and art. So that should be useful for new players who dont what to spend £40 on both rulebooks. Not sure when its out but Wyrd say "very early next year" which makes me think jan-feb.
This is perfect! I am really glad you said that as the thing that has been putting me off commiting to the game is having to buy two rulebooks for 40 quid before I even start. With the pdf I can get two gangs for that amount and I am sorted!

I like some of the fluff as it happens so may get the books later, but I think perhaps the big bad GW should take note of this approach too as buying rulebooks has always jacked me off when all you really want are the models.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 05:27 AM

Big Dave's Flag is: USA

In my area a new store opened and Malifaux is one of the first things that I got there. I got the Cult of December. sorta wish I had read the rules a little more carefully. Rasputina can be a little tricky to play.
We normally play 30-35 point games.

Link to some pics of my crew: http://gameforgegames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Malifaux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode