Smogcon 2014 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Malifaux Talk about Wyrd Miniatures Malifaux and other games here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-13, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Halloween Town

jondoe297's Flag is: England

Default Smogcon 2014

For the uk guys,
Anyone heading to Smogcon next year?
Predominately a warmahorde event this year sees some Malifaux events being run, a story encounter, single ranked tournament, hardcore tournament and a doubles tournament.
If you haven't tried out the UK malifaux tournament scene I would highly recommend it, the guys are really friendly and very welcoming although its competitive. Very good balance Imo.

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't Happy
Malifaux/hobby podcast - check it out for inane ramblings
http://isleoffauxrecords.podbean.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-13, 11:44 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

I've never even heard of smogcon, do you have a link to some info on it? I'm thinking that these days, getting involved in tourney scenes might be the only way I get to play any games of any type (my local area is chocked full of 40k players and little else)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 12:44 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

I don't like competitive gaming very much tbh. Is there other stuff to do there?

I am finding almost the opposite in my town: 40k is waning and Malifaux, Warmachine and a lot of indy games (zombie games seem all the rage at the moment) are becoming increasingly popular.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Halloween Town

Same in my area, mainly due to the fact i have emphasised malifaux alot, 40k has waned and malifaux, war machine, bushido, xwing have risen up oh and zombicide, fantastic game.
I will get a link up later today, phone only allows a mediocrity of technology before it simply says no! Ha ha
Smogcon has looooooaaaads of events on, bushido, dropzone commander as well as the aforementioned games plus 24 hour gaming i.e. Non tournie pick up games, rpgs painting comps, it looks pretty immense,
You say you don't like competetive play? Is that through a gw experience as i could fully understand that, went to one gw event and hated it!
The two malifaux events i went to were amazing!
There are quite a few non tournie events organised through the year, ttn in Essex is running a story encounter in. November! Firestorm in Cardiff has the odd event on.
And of course vassal, although a massive league has already just started so the boat was missed on that, but def think it would be a good start to learn the game/get more games in!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Halloween Town

Hopefully this link should take you to the event pack and all the gloriousness available!

http://smogcon.org/wp-content/upload...s-8Oct2013.pdf

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 10:31 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

That does look pretty sweet. Good idea doing it in a hotel, I think. It sounds a lot of fun.
Also, Guildford is only about 90 minutes away from me :-). Will have to see nearer the time, once I have worked out Malifaux better, but will definitely think about it and will ask my wife and friends about it.

I don't think it's a bad experience with GW competitive games tbh that makes me not like the competitive scene. Just I have always been more into building fluffy lists that I am happy with painting and modelling, rather than building lists that are solely to win. Just a personal choice really; I have played in 40k campaigns at my local club, but even found them slightly too competitive at times...My feeling is 40k is not a competitive game and feel they make this clear in the 6th ed rulebook, so don't get the tournament scene around 40k and people playing it competitively because there is little internal balance.

Maybe Malifaux is different: Seems much more balanced so less chance of people being douchebags bringing 'internet lists' (3 fliers and all that shit). I will check out the FLGS tournament here next month and see how I feel about it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Halloween Town

1.5 was a little harsher for the tournie scene due to power imbalance, looking at neverborn here, for instance collodi was an auto include in any strategy that required objectives or owning board quarters.
And other factions struggled, poor old arcanists.
Not the case now!
On a different note, beta wave 2 is now in its second week, so would be great if you guys could pick up the rules and have a crack at the 2nd wave models and let the guys know your thoughts.
Back to smogcon, as you prob saw there is a story encounter for malifaux which wouldn't be very competitive but the potential for 24 hour gaming, i believe there will be achievements form the weekend, like playing x amount of different players, playing x amount of games over the course of the weekend.
I'm pretty psyched for it!
Final note, its very easy to build strong lists and stay fluffy or in theme with malifaux which for me is a bonus. Like you mentioned gw rarely benefits the fluff theme player

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Malifaux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode