Any Heresy Malifaux Players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Malifaux Talk about Wyrd Miniatures Malifaux and other games here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Any Heresy Malifaux Players?

Hey everyone.

Until this weekend I had never payed attention to a single other gaming system outside of Warhammer 40k.

Then, a couple of folks turned up at my local gaming group and played ... Malifaux.

Holy crap, what a revelation, this game is fantastic! I love how its played on a much smaller scale than 40k, has great and unqiue looking models, is much cheaper to start, is more story driven than competitive (although its still competitive too) and above all uses cards.

That's right cards! I thought those were for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and other not so good games. But I love how cards in Malifaux are used instead of dice, and you even get to cheat!

Anyway, I'm just curious if there are any other Malifaux players, as I'm still very new to the game, and I was hoping to get some advice about starting purchases.

For my first crew I was thinking of a small 15 SS McMourning Crew that would be:

McMourning
Sebastian - 6SS
Nurse - 5 SS
x2 Canine Remains - 4SS
(Flesh Construct model in reserve for when I get enough Body Parts)

and then as an opposition army for friends to use:

Lady Justice
Judge - 7SS
x2 Death Marshals - 8SS

What do you guys think, would this provide for balanced games that I can use to try and get my friends and other local gamers interested in the game?

Plus, in terms of rulebooks, I know 1.5 is the latest, but there are a couple of expansions and I don't understand if these are like Apocalypse/Cities of Death type books like in 40K or if they are necessary when using certain crews?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 07:07 PM

Inari82's Flag is: USA

I actually introduced Malifaux to my lfgs about a year and half ago after hearing about in on a podcast. I'm huge into steampunk and found the models absolutly amazing.

I currently play Rasputina with Kaeris. And if I feel like being silly I have a huge selection of models for Leviticus to pick from.

As far as the 2 list you picked. I'd be a little worried for the McMorning crew as they will be shot to pieces before to can get the construct build, if Justice even lets you get the parts (her and the judge have ways to make them not drop). And McMourning himself is the only real survivable figure.

The 2 crews I built for demos at my store are actually McMourning and the Viktorias. I feel this gives a pretty good feel as far as both crews having a decent bit offense and defense and a fair amount of tricks in both crews.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-12, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inari82 View Post
I actually introduced Malifaux to my lfgs about a year and half ago after hearing about in on a podcast. I'm huge into steampunk and found the models absolutly amazing.

I currently play Rasputina with Kaeris. And if I feel like being silly I have a huge selection of models for Leviticus to pick from.

As far as the 2 list you picked. I'd be a little worried for the McMorning crew as they will be shot to pieces before to can get the construct build, if Justice even lets you get the parts (her and the judge have ways to make them not drop). And McMourning himself is the only real survivable figure.

The 2 crews I built for demos at my store are actually McMourning and the Viktorias. I feel this gives a pretty good feel as far as both crews having a decent bit offense and defense and a fair amount of tricks in both crews.
Glad to see someone else here at Heresy plays Malifaux.

I've started building three crews at the moment after ordering a bunch of stuff off of ebay.

The three I'm focusing on are Lady Justice, McMourning and Kaeris.

I'd never heard of her (still learning all the characters) till you mentioned her but I love the models and theme of the Union Workers, so for my 15SS crew I'm going:

Kaeris
x1 Fire Gamin
Johan
X1 Union Worker
x1 Gunsmith

So I'm just curious what you run Kaeris with yourself?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-12, 03:49 PM

Inari82's Flag is: USA

I usually run Raspy with Kaeris on the side. Going something like:

Raspy
- Essence of Power

Kaeris
- Essence of power

2 Silent ones

A mix of ice and fire gamin (usually more Ice)

Then points permitting either a couple of Gunsmiths or if I'm feeling lucky Snowstorm. This mostly depends on who I'm facing. If its rezzers or someone with lack range I go smiths. If I need a meat shield I go with the Storm.
Currently I am trying to make a list with the Blessed of December and Raspy Avatar.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-12, 11:06 AM
Halloween Town

jondoe297's Flag is: England

Malifaux is the bomb!
Neverborn all the way although foray into guild and the ten thunders is imminent.
Got into it a few months ago and well I have played maybe a couple of games of 4ok and warhammer since.
Start up wise,
The small rulebook is all you 'need' it has the core rules, but none of the fluff.
the 1.5 rulebook is the original rulebook, with the fluff laid out better with all the rules faq'd etc.
Rising powers and twisting fates are expansions, they continue the fluff/story line and introduce new mechanics, for instance Rising powers brought us henchmen like Kaeris and additional minions whilst twisting fates brought avatars and more minions.
The new one storm of shadows i think its called brings us a new faction ten thunders, these can be integrated with other factions to an extent, I haven't read the book but that is what I have gleamed so far.

The game is fantastic but a suggestion I would make is too stick to one faction to start with. I understand you want two so you can introduce people to the game but I would strongly suggest choosing one faction to start with and focusing on them.
The way the games work you announce your faction the choose strategy then pick your crew, if you have a handful of masters from one faction it allows you to be much more flexible I for instance have all the masters/henchmen for neverborn (awaiting for Jacob lynch fairly patiently)

Welcome to Malifaux though, it has a great community, other suggestions I'd make is a, check out pullmyfinger.com fantastic to help when starting out and the wyrd forum itself very friendly and helpful people there plus the main guys pop in to throw their few cents into the mix which is a refreshing change.
One thing you do need to forget about though is the concept in 40k/warhammer of an all comers list, this game is made for list tailoring, list tailor against the faction and the strategy, that isn't to be competitive it is just how the game mechanics work. But i will say this, the game has made me a lot less competitive (of course I enjoy winning) and more about the fun of the game which I lost a bit with 40k, warhammer and to an extent warmachine.

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't Happy
Malifaux/hobby podcast - check it out for inane ramblings
http://isleoffauxrecords.podbean.com/
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-12, 02:26 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
The game is fantastic but a suggestion I would make is too stick to one faction to start with. I understand you want two so you can introduce people to the game but I would strongly suggest choosing one faction to start with and focusing on them.
agreed. i have all the neverborn as well and when i demo, i just use two neverborn armies.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 09:19 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
agreed. i have all the neverborn as well and when i demo, i just use two neverborn armies.
I hate playing neverborn crews, all those opposed WP duels make my brain hurt lol

I currently play Ressers, but I'm looking to branch out into the arcanists/ ten thunders

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 09:34 PM

Skreining's Flag is: England

Oh yeah, I love me some Malifaux. Just ordered myself a 3 crews of the new Ten Thunders plastics, plog to follow soon.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Do one brave thing today.....then run like hell.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's a Plog!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-13, 04:55 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

I've seen it and I like the look of the Guild. Thinking of getting the rulebooks and finding Vassal games.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-13, 04:17 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

You have a Mei Feng M&SU (Arcanist) player here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Malifaux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode