Entering the world of Malifaux - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Malifaux Talk about Wyrd Miniatures Malifaux and other games here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-12, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Entering the world of Malifaux

http://aramoro.wordpress.com/2012/03...d-of-malifaux/

As a group we've decided to pick up Malifaux and give it a go, ordered ourselves up some starter set etc.

Anyone got any hints or tips for us as we embark on this?

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-12, 01:38 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
http://aramoro.wordpress.com/2012/03...d-of-malifaux/

As a group we've decided to pick up Malifaux and give it a go, ordered ourselves up some starter set etc.

Anyone got any hints or tips for us as we embark on this?
Check out the wyrd forums. Very active and very friendly. You seem to have avoid the worst of the OP crews. Thats good. I picked up Pandora before reading the rules because I wanted a teddy bear attack crew and found out later she is universily hated. You will need lots of small terrain pieces. 3x3.
Also, the game balances at about 35 ss. More or less can be unbalanced in different crews favour.
You can be wiped to the man and still win the game. Cant think of anything else offhand. Have fun. It is a very entertaining system.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I've found what looks to be a good wiki to get us started, and I'm sure we will be checking out the Wyrd forums when we're having issues with the rules. I have discovered that Colette is not recommend for beginners but she is annoying, so that's good enough for me.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 04:56 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

you mean the "pullmyfinger" wiki? it is really good.

pandora isn't really recommended for beginners either, but honestly, i think those tips are geared towards people with only a little wargaming experience. you probably won't have much trouble getting used to it. took me about a game to get the hang of it and i have had to 'play nicely' to avoid driving away all my competition.

http://tabletopgeeks.com/malifaux-downloads/

i found the tacticas here useful, but they only have neverborn ones for some reason. however, there are a bunch of misc stuff that you might find useful.

if you are into annoying, you might actually want pandora. there is a saying that when you play against pandora, you stop playing malifaux and start playing a game called pandora. she isn't overpowered, but has a number of super annoying tricks that makes your opponent grind their teeth.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 05:16 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

It is a good game to get into, the biggest thing for me was that it was a little bit like chess compared to GW games (players take it in turns to move one model at a time) but now that I have the basic understanding of the game and starting to include strategies and own missions it has become a lot more fun.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-12, 10:36 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

my local FLGS has had malifaux in stock for a couple of months now and it's gathering a significant following now that the end of edition 40k melancholy has set in.

i find it a really fun game to play, and the use of a deck of cards instead of dice is a refreshing change.

it also helps that we've got a malifaux henchman at the club too so we've got someone to refer questions too.

like everyone's said, the wyrd forums and pullmyfinger wiki are your standard go to pages. you could also try "ratty's page" too, he works for wyrd and has a load of downloads for corpse counters and the like that you can print out

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-12, 04:52 AM

It's a great game and what I have focused on for the last year while I await 6th edition. The gane doesn't have a lot of tactical support because the complexity of lists and objectives. A lot of models are niche models offering support in against certain factions and objectives but utterly fail otherwise.

Big change to balance in this game compared to others, is having a pool of models to play with versus making a fixed list.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-12, 03:30 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

this reminds me I really need to paint my Rasputina Crew

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Malifaux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode