2.5k Lizardmen - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-11, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Default 2.5k Lizardmen

Ok so new army, new list time

I want a balanced army able to take on all comers hence Slaan with lore of life (Throne of Vines Flesh to Stone T8 Saurus warriors?? Oh yes please

Slann (life)
Focus of Mystery
Mocused Rumination
Becalming Cogitation
Battle Standard Bearer
Standard of Discipline
Cupped Hands
Bane Head

Skink Priest
Feedback Scroll

24 Saurus Warriors
Banner + Musician

24 Saurus Warriors
Banner + Musician

10 Skinks

32 Temple Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

Stegadon: Giant Bow

Ancient Stegadon: Gaint Blow Pipe

1 Salamander

1 Salamander

C & C welcome and encouraged

Last edited by Ratvan; 09-08-11 at 01:20 PM. Reason: FORMATTING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-11, 01:45 PM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
Slann (life)
Focus of Mystery
Mocused Rumination
Becalming Cogitation
Battle Standard Bearer
Standard of Discipline
Cupped Hands
Bane Head
Good, although Bane Head only affects wounds caused by the bearer, and since the Slann is really a buffer this seems like a bit of a waste. Blood Statuette of Spite would be far superior.

Quote:
Skink Priest
Feedback Scroll
Interesting choice, I personally would have gone for either a Dispel Scroll, as this combines nicely with the Becalming Cogitation (no IF, 1 guaranteed dispel). What I've also really been enjoying at 2.5k is a level 1 Skink Priest with Forbidden Rod; he's 100pts of purely sacrificial character that allows me to mitigate a particularly shitty winds of magic roll.

Quote:
24 Saurus Warriors
Banner + Musician

24 Saurus Warriors
Banner + Musician
I'd take full command, the extra attack and ability to pull characters into challenges is worth it.

Quote:
10 Skinks
Good, but you need more; I'd consider dropping some Temple Guard to include another 10.

Quote:
32 Temple Guard
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame
Good, but perhaps a little larger than necessary, see the comment about skinks.

Quote:
Stegadon: Giant Bow
I personally think this is pretty meh, I'd drop it in favour of some Terradons and more Salamanders, or some more supporting Priests.

Quote:
Ancient Stegadon: Gaint Blow Pipe
I've been finding the Engine of the Gods extremely useful at 2.5k, perhaps it would be worth considering upgrading this Stegadon to an EOTG.

Quote:
1 Salamander

1 Salamander
I think that these could use some extra handlers; individual Salamanders are somewhat more prone to monster reaction tests than ones taken in larger packs, and hence really appreciate extra handlers.

The basic core of the list is good, just needs a few tweaks.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-11, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Skink Priest with Forbidden Road definately sounds like a sound idea, I might have to wedge him in somewhere....would it be worth cloak of feathers outside of storm of magic games (as I cannot stand that expansion)

With the Champion I rarely ever use a champ unless I have a combat character in the unit as well hence why they have been dropped from the above list, plus there are a lot of Elf and Skaven players at my LGC who usually have character/champ killing builds for the 5+ combat res for overkill.

I think that you are right about the Temple Guard bunker, I might drop 8 for more skinks.

I'll keep Stegadon ancient but upgrade him to Engine of the Gods and drop the other for the Rod Bearing Priest, Extra snacks for the salamanders and maybe another.

Cheers for the input mate

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-11, 04:08 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

LM in our area are finding that you really need a bigger TG unit unless your Slann has crown of command and is immune to non-magical attacks. Getting throne of vines up and then flesh to stone on the TG unit is the key to making this army work. There are too many instances where a deathstar unit comes into combat against the TG unit and/or miscasts (when throne of vine is dispelled) cut the size of the unit down. Also, not sure about the flaming banner as opposing to AP banner or something else. If you expect to see a lot of flammable characters with no dragon gem or helm or lots of regen (VC unit with regen banner, hellpits, hydras and trolls, for example), then it can pay off. Otherwise, it is wasted against most units you will be fighting.

In our area, stegs die to cannons and pit of shades a lot, so maybe an EOTG, but not two stegs.

Sallies are best in pairs due to misfires eating handlers. By having pairs, you have more reliability in hitting ranked units and less chance of losing all the handlers and better chance of surviving combat with a charge from skirmishers or light cav.

In our area, chameleons with poisoned shooting and scout ability are critical to dealing with/threatening war machines and harassing and wounding tough monsters and such. Also, two units of skink skirmishers are useful for the poisoned shooting and ability to march and shoot and harass and bait and flee.

While saurus are still good, they are not as optimal and need to be in a larger unit to be effective with the VP rules. I'd consolidate the saurus into one unit of 40 or more, instead of two units of 24, and use the point savings for skink skirmishers.

So. much depends on the environment you will be playing in. At 2500, with only modest restrictions on army builds and no special characters allowed at least at the lord level, LM and Dark Elves are the top two armies in terms of performance at the last five Indy GT's in our are (40+ to over 90 participants with many top 50 and top-ranked US participants attending) but the environment is very balanced such that LM can lose almost as often as they can win on average.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-11, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

I think that I will start off with the following 1500 points list see how it goes against the other armies within the area before adding more units to the army.

So without any further ado

Slann Mage Priest - 370
Focus of Mystery
The Focused Rumination
Battle Standard Bearer
Banner of Discipline
Seed of Rebirth

Core - 564
24 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer

24 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer

Special - 566

16 Temple Guard, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flames, Dagger of Sotek

10 Chameleon Skinks

10 Chameleon Skinks

Comes to 1500 dead on
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-11, 10:37 AM

Quote:
With the Champion I rarely ever use a champ unless I have a combat character in the unit as well hence why they have been dropped from the above list, plus there are a lot of Elf and Skaven players at my LGC who usually have character/champ killing builds for the 5+ combat res for overkill.
I don't see how not having a champion would be any advantage here - if he's going to pound a champion into pulp, he'll likely do the same thing to RnF too. If he kills your champion with 6 wounds, he gets +6 CR and you lose one model. If you take no champion, he still gets +6CR, but you also lose 6 models...

Anyway, I'm personally not a fan of Stegs - they go down way too easy against most armies - Cannons, Stone Throwers, Amber Spear, Ghouls, Witch Elves etc Even with the point of healing from the Life lore attribute, they're still not going to last very long in most games. I'd drop them in favour of more Salamanders and perhaps Cold One mounted Scar Vets for monster hunting...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-11, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

by not having a champion in the unit I do not get challenged and the character is usually used as a lone model and therefore easier to kill off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Lizardmen Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode