2500 Lizardmen - Revised after playtesting - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-10, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Default 2500 Lizardmen - Revised after playtesting

Hey everyone, some of you may recall my earlier lists in which I was asking for help in planning my buy list. Well, I bought the army and I've been playtesting it pretty much 3-5 times a week since. Below are the changes I've made. Thoughts?

Lord:
450 Slaan - BSB, Ironcurse Icon, Cupped Hands of the Old One, Focus of Mystery, The Focused Rumination, The Becalming Cognition - Generally Lore of Life with the odd Lore of Light.

I originally didn't have CHotOO as I was using LoL. However, throne of vines really doesn't go off a whole lot (everyone dispels it or at least tries to) and I use lore of light occasionally as well. Also, if my opponent has a caster, giving it a miscast is worth the 45 points alone.

Hero:
380 Skink Priest on an Ancient Stegadon - Dispel Scroll

I dropped the 4+ ward save talisman on the priest and picked up a scroll. The 4+ WS was too flaky to rely upon and ultimately not worth it. I might consider the 2+ ward vs first wound suffered as if my opponent rolls a 6 on shot allocation, the priest is boned. For the rest I'll be relying on chameleons.

294 24 Saurus Warriors - Full Command

294 24 Saurus Warriors - Full Command

Worth their weight in gold!

70 10 Skink Skirmishers

70 10 Skink Skirmishers

I dropped a unit of these to essentially fit in the CHotOO. They're really just for finishing off warmachines and dealing with low armoured monsters. 40 shots should be enough to deal with all that. 3 units was cluttering up my battle line.

Special:
355 20 Temple Guard - Full Command

Another amazing unit. I realize people don't like them - citing them as overpriced but having a saurus statline with better armour and halberds PLUS sheltering my Slaan has made them worth their weight in gold. Give them T8 or Regen and watch them smash into your enemies battleline.

96 8 Chameleon Skinks

96 8 Chameleon Skinks

96 8 Chameleon Skinks

Another must have unit for me. I found that 6 was too few to reliably kill a warmachine crew while 10 was a little bulky to move and fit behind battlelines. 8 statistically generates 3.5 wounds which is enough to deal with most crew. Even if there are no warmachine crews, deploy them on your enemies flank and harrass with them. Take out lone wizards/characters etc. They have yet to let me down!

Rare:
150 Two Salamander Hunting Pack

150 Two Salamander Hunting Pack

Another unit that has out-performed every single game. My answer to any horde unit, any well armoured unit, or any low leadership unit. Again, I try to fit these in every list.

2501/2500

For a tourney I'd probably drop 1 chameleon skink.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-10, 08:40 PM

The only problem I could see with your list is one too many units of Chameleon Skinks. 96 points seems like it could buy a Razordon, or perhaps kit out the Temple Guard with magical shit. Otherwise, looks good.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Last edited by Masked Jackal; 09-10-10 at 08:43 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-10, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
The only problem I could see with your list is one too many units of Chameleon Skinks. 96 points seems like it could buy a Razordon, or perhaps kit out the Temple Guard with magical shit. Otherwise, looks good.
I initially only ran 2 units of 10... Then I played a dwarven artillery line followed by an empire gunline. The 3rd unit really helped relieve pressure. I find there are always targets for them whether its a single character, monster, artillery, or even ranged unit.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 12:05 AM

Darksider's Flag is: United Kingdom

hey,
if you're running Lore of Life with Focus of Mystery then Cupped Hands is a complete waste of time as you will definately be able to cast Throne of Vines.
You'd be better off using those points bulking out a unit rather than wasting them
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksider View Post
hey,
if you're running Lore of Life with Focus of Mystery then Cupped Hands is a complete waste of time as you will definately be able to cast Throne of Vines.
You'd be better off using those points bulking out a unit rather than wasting them
It is very possible that the enemy will dispel Throne of Vines practically every turn.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksider View Post
hey,
I don't know, its easy enough to cast but most opponents will try their hardest to dispel it as it makes everything much worse for them. Even if you do get it off, most opponents will throw a PD at it in their turn to dispel it. I'd say I get it off 25% of the time. The rest, I'm throwing 3 dice hopping for no double 6s. For 45 points, to breath a bit easier is worth it. Also, instead of throning one turn, toss 6 dice at a dwellers below. If you IF it, not only is a unit going to be decimated, you can drop your miscast on their big caster. Nasty combo.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 09:45 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

Your magic points are valid. Throne often does not get off, so cupped hands is critcal for the unit. However, if they are dispelling throne of vines too often, it is likely because you are casting it too early and not fully exploiting the ability to use +1PD per casting attempt to eat up their dispel dice. Nevertheless, you can't count on the throne going off or staying around. You comments about Lore of Light are interesting. Lizardmen have specific weaknesses that light can address and one of the local LM players that is highly ranked just used Light to place well at significant tourney this weekend.

8th edition really changes the rules and balance. TG is better than before. The benefits of the BSB and TG unit are such that you need that unit to be big enough to survive and deny VPs and win combat consistently. We are seeing Skaven casting the `13th spell with six or 7 (with token) PD and power scroll. If the unit is not big enough, they can destroy it with that spell and leave you naked. Also, consider the consequences and risks of multiple miscasts with the Slaan in the unit doing damage.

Temple guard can be bigger for points denial and protection. We are seeing units that are six wide and as much as six deep with more protection (with magic banners and MR and stuff).

Consider one unit of Saurus warriors and one unit of ranked skinks with Krox for core (changed the rules for reach for Krox in combat and poisoned javelins with quick-to-fire are interesting). Chameleons are good but terries also get a benefit of being flying monstrous cav now and might be used as well to charge warmachines.

I like Sallies but four seems a bit much.

The Slaan could benefit from more magic items and protection for itself/the unit.

Due to empire and dwarves coming back and appearing strong with cannons, some are dropping stegadons for skink priests on foot and fighting heroes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Lizardmen Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode