"The Shadow Reavers" Tau Kill Team (and fluff) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-08, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default "The Shadow Reavers" Tau Kill Team (and fluff)

Figured I'd christen the new forum by dusting off my old Tau Kill Team

---

Well, as most tau players know, coming up with a flavorful tau kill team that doesn't suck and actually makes sense is hard.
The easiest routes are kroot and vespid, but both are fairly bland and, well, everyone does them. The other easy way is to just field a butt load of fire warriors. Also bland, and not very fluffy (suicide missions aren't what tau normally go for) Besides, assault is a big part of KT and FW suck at it.

The only really fluffy choices are drones (which end up leaving you short points and again, bland) pathfinders, which simply won't work because they all tote heavy weapons, and stealth suits...which won't work because their weapons each break a mutable.

Well, here's what I came up with as a unit that makes sense for a suicide mission, doesn't suck, and breaks only 2 mutables (hey, if you don't break a couple it makes for a dull game ;-))

Kill Team Composition:
1 Stealth Suit, Targeting Array, Burst Canon 40pts
10 Gun Drones (from a gun drone squad, not wargear drones) 120

Mutables Broken: 2 (Burst Cannon and mixed Unit)

I'm going to give them backstabbers. With the drone's high Initiative, they're actually our best non-alien, non-battlesuit assaulters. And a WS2 will hit a WS4 Marines just as easily as WS4 does, it's just they get to hit on a 3+ against us...if they live long enough

I plan to model his drones with saw-like blades around their rims, and perhaps blades on place of the pointless grenade launchers on their carbines (though, they actually do get frag grenades, so maybe keep the launchers and just add kroot-blades to the underside)

For Shadowblade himself, I'm just going to use my stealth suit leader. He already has extra antennae and such.

Fluff:
Lead by Shas'ui Shadowblade, the so-called "Shadow Reavers" have been a plague on imperial supply lines and ork settlements all across the swathe of stars slated for the third phase expansion. The stealthy, surgical strikes are almost mechanical in their efficiency and their ruthless execution. Striking from nowhere and then fading like ghosts in the night, sometimes taking supplies and equipment, sometimes destroying it.

Shadowblade was the sole survivor of his bonded stealthsuit team. The others were lost in combat when a scouting piranha, unaware of their presence, blundered into their carefully planned ambush of a space marine devastator squad.

Alerted by the roar of the piranha's engines as it screamed by, the sergeant checked his auspex and noticed a faint reading. Rather than waste the squad's heavy bolter rounds on the retreating scout, he instead directed them to fire on the copse of trees that Shadowblade and his comrades were using as cover. Most of the stealth suits were cut down before the piranha could circle back around to assist. By the time it was over only Shadowblade remained, having beaten the sergeant to the ground with an armored fist and firing a burst from his cannon into the marine's chest as he struggled to right himself.

The traumatic event left the already independent stealthsuit pilot embittered and resentful. He refused to be assigned to a new team, requesting instead to be allowed to operate as a monat, but without relinquishing his beloved stealth armor. The Aun were in a tough spot: Not wanting to force the already bitter and somewhat unstable pilot to join a new unit (possibly endangering them by giving them loose cannon to deal with), but unwilling to let him undertake what would doubtless become a string of suicide missions without any support.

Eventually they came up with a compromise that suited them and Shadowblade. Equipping his suit with an experimental new drone controller, they assigned him a squadron of gun drones to lead. Shadowblade was happy that there was no chance that they would prove unreliable or untrustworthy, and the Aun were content that they would enable him to undertake dangerous missions behind enemy lines (and away from other tau) without risking further tau lives. If the plan worked, he would prove to be a valuable asset in disrupting enemy supply lines and morale. If it failed, only Shadowblade would pay the price, and nobody could say it was for a lack of support from the Aun.

And so, equipped with the new drone controller and his small army of stealth capable drones, Shadowblade stalks the isolated worlds and spaceways as the vanguard of the Empire's expanding reach, looking for targets of opportunity and making infrequent reports whenever he learns something vital. Occasionally the Aun send him specific missions, but most of the time they leave him and his cloaked, drone-controlled ship to their own devices.

Since beginning operations, his one man reign of terror has become legendary, earning him and his drones the name "Shadow Reavers" by fearful Imperial Guard, and a huge bounty on his head by enraged Imperial Governors and commanders.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-08, 09:49 AM

Zeldrin's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey Gal,

I don't know much about the Tau but you sure have made a colourful and fluff filled kill team here. The fluff is great and justifies well the choices you have made. I imagine these will be a blast to play!

Great way to christen another useful addition to the forum

Zeldrin

"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-08, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

They're pretty cool. And if I need to I can swap out the burst cannon for a fusion gun (melta), it's magnetic. It costs an extra 2 points, but I can make that up by switching one of the gun drones to a wargear gun drone rather than independent. Doesn;t make a difference for the kill team, just buys me the points. It's good for certain missions, like the one where you have to take out the AV14 objective.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-08, 04:05 PM

lookin good
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-08, 05:46 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

can you use it in a regular game of 40k as a unit in your army, or would you need a house rule to include it. I ask because the part of kill team that I like is the richness it can add to regular games.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Kill-teams are not meant for regular play, you would have to do it as a house rule and get opponent's permission. They;d probably be an elites choice

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-08, 07:58 PM

Default cool

Yeah thats a cool kill team really like the fluff, keep me posted on how it gets on

vanimal
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-08, 11:09 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cool conversion.
P.S. Ferrus Manus 93, why doesn't your avatar have a head?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-08, 07:42 PM

godzy's Flag is: Israel

I mostly stayed clear for kill-team as it felt like a one sided game, but this extra fluffy team makes want to go over and make one of my own. I would really like to them all assembled and painted.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-08, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed them so much!
They are one of my projects waiting to see more attention. When I finish my titan I'll start putting blades on the frisbees

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Kill Teams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode