CSM kill team help please! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Icon CSM kill team help please!

Hello me and some buddies are having a kill team tournie at our FLS. I know ill be against some necrons, orks, and tyranids. this is my list for a 300 pt game
5 khorne berzerkers - 105
5 khorne berzerkers - 105
5 CSM - 50
1 AC PW - 30

ten points left over. open to any suggestions. I have Possessed Chosen Berzerkers Rhino and Csm. i really dont wanna lose to my friends who have been saying they were gonna woop me the whole week.Thanks

It was written in blood on a suicide note

Like Roses

We Bloom

We Die

We Fall Apart
When Life Give You Lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 08:01 PM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

You can't have 3 Troops sadly. This is the only game where the slots are often used up. On that note, however, why did you get 2 squads of 'zerkers? Make 1 squad of 10 and split them up as you see fit. Have you checked the rules for Kill team? In kill team, everyone is basically an independant character and three guys get a special rule of your choice. Also, put some termies/a dreadnought in there!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 10:35 PM

Dark Messiah's Flag is: United Kingdom

Agreed with Hog.

Besides, that many infantry is simply not going to work slogging it over the battlefield. Trust me, I ran 9 space wolves (including 1 terminator) in my first kill team game against necrons. Sure, I won. But I only had about 3 models left by the end. One more round of solid shooting would've finished me.

Play to your armies strengths at this level:
- High saves
- Powerful weaponry
- Solid, reasonably cheap vehicles (maybe not so much CSM as SM's)

Terminators are a good suggestion as for CSM's they're considerably cheaper. Hell you could take ten - at this points level that's brutal. Though it wouldn't be the best as you'd be lacking in heavy hitting weapons without powerfists, autocannons and combi-weapons.

A cheap Dreadnought would be beastly at this level, especially backed up by terminators, or outflanking chosen. If you really want to run CSM's and Berzerkers, definitely stick them in a Rhino. Vehicles are tough to take out in kill teams (though at 300 points expect some measure of anti-tank; lascannons, meltas - be sure to take these out as a priority).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 04:24 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

I always take PM in kill team just because I don't typically see many ap2- weapon/power weapons, and anything without such weapons will typically be beaten at range or CC by a PM.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 06:02 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

Can someone explain to me what exactly is Kill Teams please?

TheLaughingMan

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 01:55 PM

CPT Killjoy's Flag is: USA

I'm building off of what was said above. I haven't played kill team before (though I do understand the basic rules). Because I haven’t played, I won’t suggest a full list to you. What I can do is tell you what unit you really should bring, as it’s great in small points games (most games I play are 1k). Dreadnought with Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer. It only costs 105pts. Also, since the FAQ is in our favor, all you have to do is keep your other units away from the front of it. If you role fire frenzy, you get to shoot your multi melta twice! Wish your enemy luck with living though that. Very solid unit, and good at killing just about everything. Oh, and did I mention that it’s cheap…

[Note: in higher points games, even in 1k points games, the MM Dread has it’s problems. But it’s hard to argue with in Kill team]

"In the game of chess, you must never let your opponent see your pieces."
-Captain Zapp Brannigan
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 02:28 PM

Dark Messiah's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
Can someone explain to me what exactly is Kill Teams please?
Someone should really just create an explanation thread and sticky it.

Here's an explanation I took from a thread in this section (I can't find it now, but I saved the explanation on my PC). Not sure who wrote it now, but it's the best one I've seen.

Quote:
Force Org:
0-1 Elites choices
0-2 Troops choices
0-1 Fast Attack choices

You must build legal units of up to 200 points total (and not a single point over) for your Kill Team. These units must belegal buildsfrom your Codex of choice (just one codex), as if you were going to use them in a normal game of 40k.

Once you start deploying per the mission rules, each model counts as its own unit and thus multiple models may not ride in a transport if you take one.

Deep Striking is NOT allowed per the mission rules, and even though Daemons say they can Deep Strike regardless of the mission, it is generally accepted that they still are not allowed to, to preserve balance. Additionally, rules like "Instinctive Behavior" and the old Necron "Phase Out" rules are typically ignored for the purposes of Kill Teams. Some people go a bit further and say that all Tyranids count as being in Synapse range since it is extremely difficult to build a list while trying to fit in a model with Synapse.

Furthermore, you grant three DIFFERENT Universal Special Rules to three DIFFERENT models (one rule per model, no duplicate rules).

If you want to know more about how to play Kill Teams since I have not lined out everything here, PLEASE just go buy the book or read it at your Local Game Store.

Remember, the point of the scenario is to have FUN with smaller forces on suicide missions. If you find it hard to follow the above rules, simply ask your opponent what they think. If you still don't like the above rules, play another scenario like 4th Ed Kill Teams (from the 4th Ed rulebook, uses mixed models up to 160 points), or Combat Patrol (a.k.a. "40k in 40 minutes", also from the 4th Ed rulebook, uses a 400 point force and is slightly different from the "school league" rules).

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes i made a mistake on the zerkers sorry and it is going to be like necrons vs tyranids then me vs orks winner vs winner ill be sure to add some terminators. i didnt think of the dread because to me they are kinda unreliable with my luck id get a multi melta in my termies twice ill probably drop 5 zerkers and the csm thats about 170 points opened up for the termies

Like Roses

We Bloom

We Die

We Fall Apart
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 08:11 PM

CPT Killjoy's Flag is: USA

Just so I feel better, I’m putting this out there; I really think you’d be better off with the Dread. At this low of a point’s level, it’s a monster. That being said, if you go the terminator route (not a bad choice mind you), I would make sure you bring a heavy flamer. When you are fighting orks and Nids your are really going to want that thing.

"In the game of chess, you must never let your opponent see your pieces."
-Captain Zapp Brannigan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty i think ill go with the Dread and whatever i have left put into some troops?

Like Roses

We Bloom

We Die

We Fall Apart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Kill Teams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode