How Kill Teams work - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-12, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

dbgoldberg323's Flag is: USA

Default How Kill Teams work

I have seen a lot of threads on here with people asking how kill teams (from Battle Missions) work, and a lot of "I'll do X if Y is true about the rules", etc. I know not everyone has a copy of the book so I thought I'd just give a brief summary of how the mission works so you guys have a better idea of how to play Kill teams.

Force Org:
0-1 Elites choices
0-2 Troops choices
0-1 Fast Attack choices

You must build legal units of up to 200 points total (and not a single point over) for your Kill Team. These units must be legal builds from your Codex of choice (just one codex), as if you were going to use them in a normal game of 40k.

Once you start deploying per the mission rules, each model counts as its own unit and thus multiple models may not ride in a transport if you take one.

Deep Striking is NOT allowed per the mission rules, and even though Daemons say they can Deep Strike regardless of the mission, it is generally accepted that they still are not allowed to, to preserve balance. Additionally, rules like "Instinctive Behavior" and the old Necron "Phase Out" rules are typically ignored for the purposes of Kill Teams. Some people go a bit further and say that all Tyranids count as being in Synapse range since it is extremely difficult to build a list while trying to fit in a model with Synapse.

Furthermore, you grant three DIFFERENT Universal Special Rules to three DIFFERENT models (one rule per model, no duplicate rules).

If you want to know more about how to play Kill Teams since I have not lined out everything here, PLEASE just go buy the book or read it at your Local Game Store.

Remember, the point of the scenario is to have FUN with smaller forces on suicide missions. If you find it hard to follow the above rules, simply ask your opponent what they think. If you still don't like the above rules, play another scenario like 4th Ed Kill Teams (from the 4th Ed rulebook, uses mixed models up to 160 points), or Combat Patrol (a.k.a. "40k in 40 minutes", also from the 4th Ed rulebook, uses a 400 point force and is slightly different from the "school league" rules).

I hope that helps everyone!

Now to ensure I've followed the rules for this thread, here's a Kill Team list that I've run for Orks that went undefeated in a 7-round Kill team Tournament:

200 points - Orks
3x Ork Bikers (one with Fleet, one with Stealth)
5x Lootas (one with Tank Hunters)

EDIT: 27 FEBRUARY:

BATTLE MISSIONS is a stand-alone book that you can purchase from Games Workshop or your Friendly Local Game Store. It contains the NEW Kill Teams mission, while the old mission is found in the 4th Edition Rulebook. ;)

"Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama

Like my thoughts/posts/comments? Visit my blog! (click HERE!!!)

Blood Angels - 15k pts
Tyranids - >9k pts

Tau - ~4k

Last edited by dbgoldberg323; 02-27-12 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Clarified things. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 09:30 PM

Sorry, which book is Kill Teams located in?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomusPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgoldberg323 View Post
(from Battle Missions)
Again, the current version of it is from ^ Battle Missions, while the older version is from the 4th Ed Rulebook.

Blood Angels - 15k pts
Tyranids - >9k pts

Tau - ~4k

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 09:58 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomusPrime View Post
Kill Teams were in the 4th Ed book (you know, that book that was around for all of a couple of months before they moved to 5th ) along w/ Combat Patrols. They were aimed at getting smaller forces painted up and on the table. Though, I don't remember any mention of KTs in the 5th Ed book.

dbgoldberg - Could you point out a page number?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist View Post
dbgoldberg - Could you point out a page number?
Quote:
Again, the current version of it is from ^ Battle Missions, while the older version is from the 4th Ed Rulebook.

No real need to point out a page number for the NEW Kill Team mission that is in the Battle Missions book as it's a fairly small book (it's codex-sized).

Lolol, man I swear I tried to make my initial post easy to read and understand...

Blood Angels - 15k pts
Tyranids - >9k pts

Tau - ~4k
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:06 PM

Oooooh! I didn't realize it was a completely separate book! My bad!

The way it was written it seemed to me that there was a section of the main rule book called "Battle Missions".

Thanks for the clarification!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oooooh! I didn't realize it was a completely separate book! My bad!
Haha, no problem. Yup, it's a separate expansion that came out that is chock-full of new missions!

There are race-based missions (three new missions per race), as well as three generic missions, one of which is Kill Teams

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...Id=prod630003a

Blood Angels - 15k pts
Tyranids - >9k pts

Tau - ~4k
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:15 PM

Cool. I actually started making a Necron Kill Team back in 4th ... and then a few months later 5th came out. Now I have 2 warriors, an immortal, 2 flayed ones, and a wraith all painted up w/ separate colors from my normal Necron army.

From the looks of it, the new KT rules differ a good bit from the originals. How old is that Battle Missions book?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. I actually started making a Necron Kill Team back in 4th ... and then a few months later 5th came out. Now I have 2 warriors, an immortal, 2 flayed ones, and a wraith all painted up w/ separate colors from my normal Necron army.

From the looks of it, the new KT rules differ a good bit from the originals. How old is that Battle Missions book?
Yup, unfortunately the new Kill Team mission is drastically different than the old one. I REALLY like your Kill Team though!

As for how old the book is, it's maybe 2 years old I think? It's not that ancient and the missions are sure to provide plenty hours of fun. If you think of them as more scenario-based (since they are written for the races), you'll have a blast.

You can play the missions in one of four ways:

1. Just straight-up pick the mission you want to play.

2. Decide which race's mission-set your going to run between you and your opponent's armies. Roll a D3 (D6 halved, rounded up) and run that mission.

3. Roll on the table in the beginning of the book (I think there's one) that lets you roll for a mission randomly out of the entire book.

4. Select either yours or your opponent's race and run all three of its missions in order as a mini-campaign (and even then you could go back and run the other race's missions afterwards as a revenge campaign).

It really is a sweet book! I will have to let you in on a little caveat though: since they're kind of written as "scenarios" almost, they are sometimes a tiny bit unbalanced depending on if your opponent is writing an army list for that mission or not. If you play a Battle Missions game with an opponent and you both brought "all-comers" lists, you'll be fine.

Blood Angels - 15k pts
Tyranids - >9k pts

Tau - ~4k
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-12, 12:19 AM

Quote:
It really is a sweet book! I will have to let you in on a little caveat though: since they're kind of written as "scenarios" almost, they are sometimes a tiny bit unbalanced depending on if your opponent is writing an army list for that mission or not. If you play a Battle Missions game with an opponent and you both brought "all-comers" lists, you'll be fine.
If we do any tweaking it'll be towards the opponent's army as we usually roll for scenario and deployment right before we start playing.

Overall sounds pretty nice! I play rather infrequently and we usually play smaller games so this may be something to check out. Glad I stumbled upon this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Kill Teams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode