7th Edition Review: Adeptus Mechanicus: Sicarian Infiltrators - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Default 7th Edition Review: Adeptus Mechanicus: Sicarian Infiltrators

So, I got to play a game today with my brand new Sicarian Infiltrators. As such, I thought I would give them a quick write-up.

So, Sicarian Infiltrators won me the game I played today. They killed most of his army single-handedly. They were truly amazing to see on the field. I can't wait to use them again! If you have a box of Sicarians and want to decide before you start gluing which of the two to go with, I would recommend reading this and then checking out my post on Ruststalkers, which has a section comparing the two to each other.

First, let's talk about weapon options. They can choose to either go for Power Swords with a Stubcarbine, or Taser Goads with a Flechette Blaster. The whole unit chooses together, so no mixing and matching. But, really, there is not much of a choice.

The Stubcarbine has 6" longer range and 2 higher Strength than the Flechette Blaster, but fires 2 less shots. Seems more or less equal until you realize that the Stubcarbine is not a Pistol, but the Flechette Blaster is. Since Pistols add one attack to their wielders, and these are not going to be a very shooty choice no matter what, the Flechette Blaster option is already looking better.

Add to that the fact that the Taser Goads are unbelievably deadly, and there's no contest. The Power Swords are Armor Piercing 3, but to get that you have to lose 2 Strength and the triple-hitting on 6s from the Taser rule. That rule is what got through a 2+ armor save for me today. And, without the +2 Strength, my Infiltrators would not have been able to kill the enemy's Dreadnought (which was the only enemy unit left on the board turn 3). So I don't expect to see very many Infiltrators on the board with Power Swords. The Armor Piercing would have been nice, but they did fine without it and it would have come at a high cost.

Infiltrators also have the Infiltrate rule. This made it very easy to get them into close combat first turn when combined with their Dunestrider rule (which adds 3 to all movement, Run and Charge moves). I was able to Infiltrate close to the front lines, and with an added 6" of movement between the regular move and the charge, getting into combat was easy. They quickly jumped from target to target once in the backfield, killing everything. They never came up short on a charge! Very useful special rules. One downside is the fact that, if you Infiltrate, you can't charge on the first turn, so don't start too close to the front lines.

Next, let's talk about the Infostatic Aura. This rule subtracts 1 from the Ballistic Skill, Weapon Skill, Initiative, and Leadership of any model within 6" of a model with this rule. IMPORTANT NOTE: be sure to remember that it affects models and not whole units! I have seen that part of the rule overlooked many times, which could make a huge difference in a game.

This rule truly brings the Infiltrators some battlefield glory. In my game earlier, it meant always attacking before my Space Marine enemies (only one unit even lived long enough to hit back, and then at half size, which I'm sure saved me some models!). It won't make any difference against Space Marines or their peers in terms of rolling to hit in close combat, but it does really help with lowering Initiative and Leadership. It also means nearby models shooting at other units (or your Infiltrators, should they kill their opponents too quickly) will have a noticeably harder time hitting.

Infiltrators also have a Formation option that boosts the range of the Infostatic Aura to 12", which would make it even deadlier. However, I have not (as of yet) used this formation, nor will I anytime soon (since I just don't have the models). If anyone else has and would like to share thoughts, please do, as I won't be able to for several months, most likely!

All in all, these guys really kicked ass for me today. Every enemy they hit was quickly overwhelmed by their Taser weapons. Even when attacking Space Marines with a 3+ Armor Save, the Taser was more than enough to get through their armor (though, had I been attacking a fully-sized ten man unit, I might have felt differently).

Last edited by Tyriks; 03-03-16 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 09:20 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Another good, tactica well done. This unit seems to be quite powerful in the right situations. Though the downside of models not units being effected with the aura ability could be quite different but at 12" even more powerful.

Whats the load-out that you like to run? and how large a squad so far? well before you get the formation?

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-16, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
Another good, tactica well done. This unit seems to be quite powerful in the right situations. Though the downside of models not units being effected with the aura ability could be quite different but at 12" even more powerful.

Whats the load-out that you like to run? and how large a squad so far? well before you get the formation?
Good question. I should have addressed that. I went with Tasers but no other upgrades. I'll try some of the relics (one gives Zealot, which would be nice with how many charges they do; there is also a relic version of their taser weapon which would be great for challenges).

As for size of the unit, I fielded them as a 5-man unit and probably always will. They can be up to 10, but that would be a TON of points for a squad that could be easily gunned down from afar. I would definitely rather field 2 units of 5 - higher board coverage with the aura, harder to focus fire them down quickly, less able to get mired into unwinnable combats (or fights that would just take too long to win).

The aura is decent for protection against getting shot, but it is fantastic in close combat. You'd have to be fighting an unbelievably large horde to not have all enemies get hit by it. Also, it on one occasion kept a nearby unit from shooting at my other units coming up the board effectively. Unfortunately, the -1 Ballistic Skill does not make enemies fire Snap Shots at 0, which would have been way too good. I'll be interested to see how it changes the game in the formation with a 12" range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Imperial Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode