Sternguard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-14, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Default Sternguard

So I just got my first unit of Sternguard in my list and I am excited to try them out. I am rocking 9 in a Drop Pod and the only additional gear is 2 Heavy Flamers. (I love my templates, and the image in my head of a wall of white fire between a drop pod that wasn't there a second ago and the enemies now liquid face is just awesome). So what are some of the better tactics you guys have used, I am not willing to utilize the 'suicide' combimelta tactics, in fact I think the combi-weapons take away from the Sternguards best ability, the ammo.
Also, what are some of the greatest moments you're Sternguard have had throughout you gaming career?

At the end of the game the king and the pawn go into the same box .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 06:07 PM
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

My friend is a salamanders player who uses his sternguard like so:

Sternguard (x10)
-Drop Pod
-8x Combi flamers
-2x Heavy flamers

Drops in the middle of enemy deployment zone, combat squad, and then burn everything. The re-rolls to wound are killer. If he takes Vulkan he will split it 50:50 flamer and melta.

I can see your point of view about combi weapons, but it is damn helpful to have them. Number of times a maundering dreadnought has been halted by my sternguards combi-melta. I myself do not run them that often very more purely due to points issues, trying to fit everything in is a nightmare.

However, when I do use them I have been using the scout rule to outflank my raven guard Sternguard. Usually moving straight into cover and start harassing the enemy flanks while the rest of my list piles into the middle. Doesn't have the surprise factor of a drop pod and can be a little too random for my liking but provides a nice way to clear a flank
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-14, 02:31 AM

dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA

Guy in our group runs unbound with sterngaurd, with Padro in order for them to secure objectives, with three Vindicators and a melta land speeder squadron.

ya, just as bloody painfully as it sounds let me tell you.

note: if you see me giving tactical advice: just assume i have a internet tab open to 1d4 chan and I'm summarizing off of that.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-14, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

So just the other day I used my 9 man group with the 2 heavy flamers. I dropped in behind my two opponents (Tyranids and 'infected' Guardsmen). Turn 1 I smoked the first enemy's warlord Hive Tyrant (before it could start flying) with my poisoned rounds, and the flamers also managed to kill off a heavy weapons platform. Turn 2 I turned 180 and burninated the Guardsmen command squad, killing all of them except his warlord with the heavy flamers, who then died to my 'ignores cover' rapid fire volley. So in 2 turns I killed a Hive Tyrant and a Command Squad, earning 2 victory points (both 'Slay the Warlord's (at least that's how we played IDK the actual rule)). So I believe these vets have earned a paint job

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-14, 11:56 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheV0791 View Post
So just the other day I used my 9 man group with the 2 heavy flamers. I dropped in behind my two opponents (Tyranids and 'infected' Guardsmen). Turn 1 I smoked the first enemy's warlord Hive Tyrant (before it could start flying) with my poisoned rounds, and the flamers also managed to kill off a heavy weapons platform. Turn 2 I turned 180 and burninated the Guardsmen command squad, killing all of them except his warlord with the heavy flamers, who then died to my 'ignores cover' rapid fire volley. So in 2 turns I killed a Hive Tyrant and a Command Squad, earning 2 victory points (both 'Slay the Warlord's (at least that's how we played IDK the actual rule)). So I believe these vets have earned a paint job
I think they definetely earned a paint job - great going. I trust you won the battle.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-14, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

You'd think, but the combination of a Hellhammer (whatever it's called (TL, S10, AP1, Ignores Cover, Large Blast, Baneblade EQ)) and a Knight Titan wiped me from the table... Also, bad luck with Maelstorm objective cards. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great Maelstorm battles, but I've also gotten really lucky sometimes... I just prefer the known objectives because it always seems a bit more even.

I complain, but the battle was still a FANTASTIC one...

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 01:37 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Personally I run a squad of 10 in a pod no upgrades. Memorable moments was dropping in an obliterating a havok squad manning a quad gun. Later using said quad gun to down his heldrake and be a general nuisance in his deployment zone.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

That'll show those chaos bastards, bringing guns to their own knife fight...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 03:40 PM

I'm unclear why you're stating Combi Weapons are a problem? Toting a Combi doesn't prevent them from using any of the special issue ammo they come with. In fact, its probably the best piece of equipment a Sternguard has in his arsenal.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 03:58 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

For me the combi weapons are an expensive 1 shot upgrade as you already pay a premium for the special ammo in the unit as it is. The only one I'd consider is the combi melta but since I run IF tactics I already have 4 tank hunter lascannons devs. The only othrr option I'd run is two lascannons with Pedro for OS secured quasi devs. Some people like combis on sternguard I am not one of them

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Imperial Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode