Sternguard - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 04:27 PM

To me, Sternguard are a Swiss Army Knife of a unit and the Combi just improves on that. I've taken units without Combi weapons and somewhat regretted it during certain games. Are 10 points for a one shot special weapon worth it? Indeterminable due to dependence on the situation at hand. Sounds ganky but its true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-14, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's 10 points for 1, and no one takes 1 combi-melta since that would effectively waste the squad's shooting for one turn. So people take closer to 5 so you can combat squad and shoot one group into a tank. So it's practically a 50 point one shot gun that has the 'rape vehicle' special rule. (Results can be great if you stay alive, but like someone else mentioned, I also run tank hunting devastators)

The last game I played I flamed a battlewagon from the rear armour and made it kaboomed. The unit failed a leadership and was pinned. Then I proceeded to assault the 10 Flash Gitz with their Warboss and Mekboy and made them flee which I followed with my sweeping advance. Real lucky, I know, but still awesome... I won that game

At the end of the game the king and the pawn go into the same box .
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-14, 08:55 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
To me, Sternguard are a Swiss Army Knife of a unit and the Combi just improves on that. I've taken units without Combi weapons and somewhat regretted it during certain games. Are 10 points for a one shot special weapon worth it? Indeterminable due to dependence on the situation at hand. Sounds ganky but its true.
I see what you're saying and agree that they are indeed a Swiss army knife unit and to combi or not to combi depends on the rest of your list. For me its all about the dragonfire, hellfire and vengeance rounds. Not had many games so far where I wished I had combi meltas in the unit

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-14, 10:41 AM
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheV0791 View Post
The last game I played I flamed a battlewagon from the rear armour and made it kaboomed. The unit failed a leadership and was pinned. Then I proceeded to assault the 10 Flash Gitz with their Warboss and Mekboy and made them flee which I followed with my sweeping advance. Real lucky, I know, but still awesome... I won that game
Sounds like a great moment!
One thing though, isn't the battle-wagon open topped? If so, templates can now hurt models embarked in an opentopped vehicle. Cannot remember the page number off the top of my head but that rule hurts. Had to retire my scouts and storm when facing my salamander buddy, nothing survives the flames :D

As has been said, everyone has their own way to field the unit. There isn't a wrong way as such, so long as you're happy with the results that's good enough!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-14, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I believe with 2 Heavy Flamers it was 2d6 hits, which I totally wiffed on. In the end it didn't matter though :p

At the end of the game the king and the pawn go into the same box .
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-16, 08:55 PM
Beaker's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hi,

I was looking for some advice for equipping a 10 man sternguard squad for my ultramarines - I have just bought the new sternquard set and also have the older finecast sternquard weapons set.

One option I saw was for 10 men, 2 heavy flamers, (3 combi-flamers) and 5 combi-meltas to be used in a drop pod and use as 2 x 5 man combat squads?

Thanks in advance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Imperial Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode