IG just became AM, how to move forward? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 07:16 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringbackmacharius View Post
hopefully this isn't coming off as rude
Not at all dude, we's just talking is all. Everything that is typed must be taken with a truckload of salt: we don't have body language and tone of voice here to iron things out

Quote:
And Pask in a Punisher with 2 exterminators is nice but overrated I feel.
I like playing him in a Executioner with two Battle Tanks as backup. Been having a blast with it

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 08:11 PM
Bringbackmacharius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I like playing him in a Executioner with two Battle Tanks as backup. Been having a blast with it
I tried to think of a joke to add to that but I couldn't. I guess I'll just have to move Pask it.

But seriously, some have said the 3x blast is better than the large.

V is for Vendetta...Gunship of course!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 09:20 PM

Quote:
But seriously, some have said the 3x blast is better than the large.
People say all sorts of stuff, I would say it comes down to how your opponents space their models more than anything else. The way I see it:

3x blasts: 3x chances to scatter, if the models are spaced appropriately you're getting one wound per template.

1x big blast: one scatter roll, and with a 2" coherency abuser you're still likely to get 3+ models under the template even if it does scatter.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-14, 07:53 AM
Bringbackmacharius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well now you have a choice of both with Pask! As the large blast profile is optional.

V is for Vendetta...Gunship of course!
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-14, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

ImperialProtector's Flag is: Netherlands

If you're gonna have Pask drive a tank, I think it's best to take maximum advantage of his "BS4/rending/preferred enemy/re-roll armour penetration/character (precision shots)" qualities. That means more shots is better then one large blast, or 3 (or 5) small blasts. (Adding prescience is always highly recommended and should be a no-brainer in AM lists.)

With 29 S5 shots at BS4 twin-linked you're looking at 26 hits (4 or 5 precision shots) against a target. Shooting at Meq units that will cause 17 wounds, including 4 to 5 rending hits. That will kill about 8 Meq. If that target is a T5 MC you'll put 13 wounds on it with 4 or 5 rending AP2 hits included. That will hurt a lot. Of course most T5 nasties are FMC's so what would that do? It does about 9 hits and 4,5 wounds (and a grounding test most likely). On a T6 riptide or dreadknight you'll stick 9 wounds, half of which are rending. That will seriously slow those f*ckers down! Now against armour... i'd not risk it. AV12 you'll have a chance with so many hits you will get rending and re-rolling armour penetration wil really help. Against an AV11 flyer you'll average 3 penetrating hits (every "6" is penetrating any you re-roll everything else), so you'll force jink saves.

The only real problem I see with the punisher is the 24" range... it's uncomfortably close and may leave your AV11 open to assaults. It is a very nasty midfield firebase! It's AV14/13 will shield your AV12/10 artillery from direct firepower.

"I play Imperial Guard and Tau/Eldar." "Yes, I do like tanks, giant robots and gunline armies... Why, how did you know?"
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-14, 05:22 PM
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
People say all sorts of stuff, I would say it comes down to how your opponents space their models more than anything else. The way I see it:

3x blasts: 3x chances to scatter, if the models are spaced appropriately you're getting one wound per template.

1x big blast: one scatter roll, and with a 2" coherency abuser you're still likely to get 3+ models under the template even if it does scatter.
I've always viewed executioner as an efficient monster killer. Unlike with squads, where to make exact calculations is impossible, I've done calculations once for the monstrous creatures and I got that the standard Leman Russ (S8 large blast ap3) hurts a single T6 3+ MC with a large basis less than a 3*S7 blast, which means that a S7 large blast will fare even worse.

I rarely use it against anything else than MC, where usually demolisher Leman Russ has better results. Sometimes it also works well on things that arrive by deep strike and are stuck together. Generally speaking: intuition tells me, that more your enemy places his units close to each other, the more 3* small blast becomes effective in comparison to one large.

The Emperor protects.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-14, 07:16 PM

Pask in a Punisher is pretty great. Only hesitation is the 24" range really, but it's easy enough to deal with if you're paying attention to troop movements on the table. My buddy plays about a dozen Melta Guns against me because I own three Land Raiders, so I'm pretty cautious even with my AV14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen4e View Post
I've always viewed executioner as an efficient monster killer.
You are 100% correct my friend, were I to be facing MCs I would want 3x S7 AP2 blasts over one blast of anything - as tempting as Instant Death can be to try for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen4e View Post
Generally speaking: intuition tells me, that more your enemy places his units close to each other, the more 3* small blast becomes effective in comparison to one large.
Again, perfectly correct. I just wish I played against people who bunched their units up so that I could prosper from their inexperience against blast templates

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Imperial Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode