Thunderfire Cannon and you! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-14, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Default Thunderfire Cannon and you!

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here it goes.

Yesterday i used a scratch built Thunderfire Cannon my FIRST time. I played my good friend and his usual necrons. I lost, but it wasn't in vain and i still had a great time.
I was able to utilize the Airburst rounds once as he encroached upon my bolstered ruin nullifying a 3+ save he'd get compared to his normal warrior 4+.
However most of the game i used the Str 6, AP 5 rounds for blowing up his blob squads. It was AMAZING! Though necrons have a lot of survivability but, still I saw it's power of how many wounds it inflicts (CURSE WBB!)
My local players are 90% space marines/wolves/dark angels. I will still probably take it from now on as I play salamanders and it helped me thin out blobs during the time my rhinos were rushing up. Also, heavily considering some IG allies for pie plate fun. (manticores woo!)

I felt for 100pts, it payed itself back for sure, my targets didn't allow it to plow through them, but by the end of the game my friend was telling me he should have targeted it way earlier versus ignoring it cause of its distance (hammer and anvil) and as his wounds added up.

So, what are your experiences with it, how do you utilize it against space marine armies Vs. the more effective targets (nids,orks,IG)? What do you love about it? What do you hate about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (132.2 KB, 24 views)

Drop pod Salamanders and building an allied detachment of Imperial guard Pie plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 11:33 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Holy hell that is a big ass cannon!

I find myself using subterranean blast a lot of the time, it helps keeps away the fast killy units and blobs and then my vindicators can spend more time shooting them lol
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 11:51 AM

Against 5+ save armies which lack blobs though, I would usually use the AP5 shots.

I think 100pts is a bargain. You get a free techmarine and can bolster defenses. With an Aegis with Quad Gun, x2 Rifleman Dreadnoughts, x2 vindicators and x1 thunderfire cannon you can put out a lot of dakka. I like combining this with Vulkan and a melta command squad in a pod, and sternguard with melta and heavy flamers in a pod and maybe an empty pod to get them on first turn. All that twin-linked melta pops high AV, then you can slow down units with the thundercannon and spray and pie plate it with those riflemans and vindis. Seems to synergise really well for me so far.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 01:04 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Another sallies player here - feel the love

I got a warpath hailstorm at xmas to use as a TF cannon and it's my favourite new toy. Only used it 3 times, but it always makes it's points back, and the techmarine gets my annoying sniper scouts a 2+ cover save. Last game it nailed 6 firewarriors and took out a dreadnought in the same phase. It almost seems too cheap, especially with the servo harness on the TM.

Only downside is it puts my whirlwind to shame.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 10:03 PM

Yeah I am also using the hailstorm model! I think it fits the salamander forge theme ascetic nicely and is much cheaper than the GW model.

Yeah it does seem too cheap: Considering a techmarine with servo-harness purchased alone is 75pts, you are essentially getting the cannon for a measly 25pts. Not sure how they worked the price scheme for that to be honest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 10:36 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

i love my thunder fire cannon..but also for another reason...the tf cannom can basically do what my tac marines cant..so it give me the flexibility to run my marine naked and head for and hold objective..while the cannon do the killing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-14, 01:57 PM
friar76's Flag is: England

I have found if you couple the TF with a vindicator it can cause a lot of pain with horde armies. On the other hand, the long range and non-LOS ability means it can cause a lot of hurt (such as taking out an autarch and his retinue in turn 1- my friend has recently dumped his eldar for IG :/)

I have placed this lovely piece of weaponry in a fortified ruin (thank you 3+ cover save, courtesy of my techmarine), and coupled the pie plate heaven with a ADL and quad gun

If I was playing high armour value forces id use the sub blast to stall their forces for a spell, whilst pummeling them with the vindicator.

What is the opinion of taking two TF cannons? Reminiscent of the german defence emplacements in WW1
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 05:05 PM

Hell, take 3 of them if you want lol...They could slow down entire armies. Plus you would get to bolster 3 pieces of terrain.

I think x2 Vindicators and x1TF is my favourite combo though. Pie plate city.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-14, 05:55 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have one, it's quite devastating. Especially funny when I use it against my Dark Eldar friend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 05:44 PM
friar76's Flag is: England

Just had a game against a friend with a pretty strong BA army. Goddamn they are hard to kill. TF cannon was pretty poor, even though it caused 16 wounds in one round of shooting!. now I know how it feels to lose against 3+ armour saves.

I think if I play them again I will use the TF cannon, couple with 2x Vindicators, covering both flanks. Any troops out of cover and armour will be priority targets, overlapping ares of fire is the call of the day

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles > Imperial Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode