My plans for the Imperial Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-11, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

chaos_warrior_marine's Flag is: Finland

My plans for the Imperial Guard

7th Kasrkin Regiment

My current Imperial Guard army consists from 2x squads of veterans, 1 Kasrkin squad and commissar lord. It is worth of 525pts, and here is what I have been planning to do:

I will get

Vendetta Gunship [140pts]
-Sponson Mounted Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Executioner [255pts]
-Sponson Mouted Plasma Cannons
-Heavy Stubber
-Extra-Armor

Leman Russ Battle Tank [210pts]
-Sponson Mounted Heavy Bolters
-Heavy Stubber
-Extra-Armor
-Lascannon

Basilisk [140pts]
-Extra-Armor

Basilisk [140pts]
-Extra-Armor

Manticore [175pts]
-Extra-Armor

This army is worth 1585 points, and I'm going to buy a Baneblade as well. Haven't counted it's points yet because I don't have the Apocalypse rulebook yet...

Feel free to comment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-11, 07:03 AM

cobra.commander's Flag is: USA

do not...I repeat DO NOT put heavy bolters on your vendetta....its a waste of points. but this pretty much goes for any vehicle...all the little extras that you put on them, (ie: extra armor and whatnot) could be used elsewhere to much greater effect. secondly, unless you play apocalypse games a lot, I wouldn't take 2 basilisks...their ranges just make them much less effective in a normal game...just some thoughts

COOOOBRAAAAAAAAA RETREE......ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

See the mighty forces of the 1st Iron Legion of Kobra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-11, 07:44 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

It depends...if there are any DE armies in the OP's local meta the HB's will gel ok with the Vendetta's Lascannons, because they are anti-tank weapons against their vehicles.

Plus it depends on how much Mech lists he faces...if there's also a sprinkling of Foot Horde lists then the HB's can (and do) help.

I agree about the EA though...and the Stubbers if their points could count towards getting another choice into the list.

OP- 1585 is a weird number...to get to 1500 you'd need to drop all the EA and 1 of the Stubbers, or the HB's from the Vendetta if none of what I wrote earlier fits your Meta.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-11, 05:40 AM

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

In agreement. Also:

I know they Kasrkin squad seems cool, but you would do better counting them as another Vet squad. They don't preform much better than one, and cost way more points. I bought 3 squads, tried them, and next battle used them as vets.

As HOBO said, the Vendetta load outs depend on your metagame. I use two Vendetta's, both of which have HB sponsons. I mainly use them to crack vehicles anyway, and the HB sponsons usually get used in self defense of the Vendetta.

I generally find Extra Armor on anything that fires at long range to be useless. The only units I take Extra Armor on is my Leman Russ Punisher w Knight Commander Pask and the Chimera containing my Company Command Squad and Master of Ordnance.

IF you run into footsloggers, or people who don't like transports, the Basilisks will devour them. Otherwise they will be just ok. I would consider Hydra Flak Tanks. With 24" more than a regular autocannon, twin linked, and the ability to rob skimmers and bikes of the cover sv, you won't be disappointed at them.

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-11, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

chaos_warrior_marine's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra.commander View Post
do not...I repeat DO NOT put heavy bolters on your vendetta....its a waste of points. but this pretty much goes for any vehicle...all the little extras that you put on them, (ie: extra armor and whatnot) could be used elsewhere to much greater effect. secondly, unless you play apocalypse games a lot, I wouldn't take 2 basilisks...their ranges just make them much less effective in a normal game...just some thoughts
Checked the codex, one Vendetta has 3 twin-linked lascannons to begin with, an now I'm just confused... I don't understand can I take the sponson heavy bolters WITH those 3 lascannons, or do I have to replace 1-2 of them in order to add the sponsons?!?!?! Taking the sponsons costs 10 additional points.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-11, 02:46 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, the sponsons are additional.

And it's always worth adding the Door Gunners on Vendetta's, unless you need to find 10pts elsewhere.

The reason for this is that they have to move at combat speed to fire all 3 Lascannons. As moving at combat speed allows them to fire their Heavy Bolters as well, they are a useful addition, as you will almost definately rack up the 2-3 kills needed to offset their heavy bolters cost.

In addition, it makes it "not a waste" against Hordes, as 36 shots of heavy bolters in a game is decent enough, but not dangerous to warrant targetting as it is reasonably tough.

As a general rule, Vendetta's - YES, Valkyries - NO.

The executioner - although 5 Plasma Shots sounds nice, it's way too expensive. If it's a major threat to an opponent (Marines, namely), then it will be a primary target. And such targets have ways and means of taking it out - Drop Pod Melta Dread, Stormraven, Outflanking Melta Bikers/Melta Chosen, Land Raider Assault Terminators. If it's not that much of a threat (Orks, Tau, etc), then it is either easy Kill Points, or easily tied up. The extra armour is not that good for its expense compared to Lumbering already providing its benefits half the time. Personally, I'd drop the side sponsons, and run it just as a Tough to crack Plasma Cannon, and ram it down the enemies throat, targetting blobs of enemies and blocking LoS.

Drop the Extra Armour on the LRBT, and just use it much the same way - run it down the enemies throat, and force it to be dealt with. Armour 12 is reasonably tough to crack. When static.

The Twin Basilisks, not a fan. They have to be in LoS so as not to have 3/4 of the battlefields width ignored, and are far too delicate - the main gun and side armour 10 is far too poor to encourage that plan of action.

Instead, depending on your opponent, I find the Colossus to be much more of threat, especially in Marine Heavy Opponents. The S6 AP3, ignore Cover makes hiding in cover less of an option. Killing Marines on 2's with no save unless invulnerable after having their transport peeled open by Lascannon/Melta, and finished off by Plasma wielding Stormtroopers is a nice combo. Of course, it's less effective against Green Tide/Termagant Spam, but hey ho.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode