- Platoon Command Squad - 4 Flamers, Chimera - Heavy Flamer / Mutlilaser

Veterans - 3 Meltaguns, Chimera - Heavy Flamer / Mutlilaser

Scout Sentinel - Hunter Killer Missile, Autocannon

Leman Russ Executioner - Plasma Cannon Sponsoons
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Battle Tank

The list is generally orientated around killing Marine armies. The 3 infantry squads all blob up with the Lord Commissar and play an objective sitting role, adding their autocannons to help kill transports. Chimera mounted infantry are objective grabbers and generally attacking units. The sentinel is there for a bit of alpha-strike suicide outflanking (perhaps might be better equipped with a lascannon...). Marbo is there for fear and explosions, obviously. The LRBT are for chomping up dismounted MEQ and the Executioner will eat most Terminators for breakfast...

25 points left to spend though, not really sure where I can fit them in. Gear for the infantry platoons perhaps?

Also, I've deliberately avoided Vendettas / Valkyries because they're expensive; a pain to transport; cheesy and fugly.

Suggestions and criticism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 11:30 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its a pretty awesome list for a first go. Only things I would say is that you shouldn't bother with a lord commissar: use standard commissars instead (they aren't ICs so can't be singled out in combat) and I would up the sentinel to a unit of 3. You'll draw more fire but you'll actually have the firepower to really hurt your target.
As for filling your HQ slot I would take a cheap command squad with an Officer of the Fleet. Starting in reserve is quite a solid tactic against IG... but if you make them come onto the board piecemeal you'll slaughter each unit in turn as they turn up... and being able to issue orders like Incomming and Get back in the fight you'll make that platoon blob incredibly hard to kill.

If you are going to use 3 infantry squads with auto cannons why not add a heavy weapon unit with auto cannons... that'll increase the firepower of that unit no end.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 11:46 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Very good first list.

Keep the LC because with Camo Cloaks your entire combined Infantry get that extra +1 Cover Save...not that I'm saying a CCS isn't a great choice.

I agree with the above poster that a single Sentinel isn't going to achieve a whole lot, but I can't see enough items to drop to get those extra points needed to field more of them...only the HKM and that isn't enough.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 01:11 PM
WFB Moderator

A single camo cloak doesn't give the unit stealth, just the lord commissar. The unit will get their standard cover save, the lord commissar will get +1.

On the otehr hand I assume you have taken a lord commissar so that big unit will be stubborn and won't just run away from combat... but it will. First turn someone will charge, place all their attacks on the lord commissar, kill him... then break the unit.
A standard commissar isn't an independant character so cannot be attacked directly... which is a nightmare for opponents (I play a guy whose 1500pts is a CCS, 2*55 guardsmen with commissar and 3 executioners with plsama sponsons- you just can't shift him).

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB FAQ page 7
Q: If only some of the models in a unit have the Stealth
special rule, does the whole unit benefit from the +1
cover save? (p76)
A: Yes. In effect the ones with the Stealth special rule
ensure their colleagues also find good places to hide
So the entire squad does benefit, or else there would be no point what so ever taking the LC with camo cloak.

As for adding a Heavy Weapons team - I think they're just too vulnerable for their cost. You get six T3 5+AS wounds for 75 pts. A lot of armies can field high numbers of S6 weapons (usually good for killing transports) which would mince these sorts of units with ID. The only reason they're included in the blob is the 25 or so ablative wounds there are in there a well.

As for fears of killing the Commissar. I struggle to think of a situation where it's not better to lose that unit than stay in combat. If the enemy assaults, I'd be allocating wounds to the Commissar (even the regular one) in the hope that they would break. That would leave the enemy in the open, staring down the barrels of 3 Leman Russ (or however many may remain at this point). Being trapped in combat due to stubbornness is pretty much a worst-case-scenario.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 02:15 PM

silversurfer's Flag is: France

A really great list.

A single camo cloak gives stealth to the lord commissar and he will give it to the unit he is attached with because of the * in the BRB. Anyway, even if he has to move 6" to join the combat, the plethoric amount of boots could "hide him" if he is about 10" from the "front line".

Besides, you could consider upgrading an LRBT to demolisher with a lascan.

What is the most feared army by you ?
An easy question .... pokemons of course !

My Cadian army showcase !
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I quite like the range the Battle Cannon offers. My experience with Chaos Vindicators has put me off the Demolisher Cannon entirely. It's not the risk of scattering back that's the issue, but rather the risk of scattering outside of the meagre 24" range. When firing at something ~20" away, there's always a worry that you'll be wasting the entire turn of shooting just by scattering 5+" away from you, something that isn't exactly a rare occurrence.

Last edited by Asura Varuna; 09-04-11 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 02:55 PM
WFB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
A single camo cloak gives stealth to the lord commissar and he will give it to the unit he is attached with because of the * in the BRB. Anyway, even if he has to move 6" to join the combat, the plethoric amount of boots could "hide him" if he is about 10" from the "front line".
Stealth doesn't have a * ... which means it isn't lost when the Lord Commissar joins the unit. HE still has stealth, but he doesn't give it to the unit.

It is almost impossible to hide the Lord Commissar from combat: the opponent has to hit a part of the unit that's more then 6" from him, and then he'll still get into combat at the end of the turn when he piles in. So you'll only have 1 round of safety pretty much whatever you do...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 04:31 PM

silversurfer's Flag is: France

Right, I am wrong about the *, I always invert between having it or not. Indeed, he doesn't lose this rule when joining the squad and then there is the FaQ stating that if only some of the models get stealth it applies to the whole squad.

End of the first column page 7 :

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ersion_1_4.pdf

If the squad isn't annihilated in 2 turns then the squad didn't fight against a very strong close combat unit and then you can go to close combat with a lord commissar ...

What is the most feared army by you ?
An easy question .... pokemons of course !

My Cadian army showcase !

Last edited by silversurfer; 09-04-11 at 04:35 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-11, 04:36 PM
WFB Moderator

WOW, that's seriously rubbish... and certainly worth abusing for a big blob squad. Deploy them in cover with a camo'd lord commissar and you'll have a unit with 3+ cover saves. I would still add a regular commissar to the unit to actually give them stubborn for a decent length of time....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode