-Vet Squad- Sniper Rifle x3, Forward Sentries 115 Pts
-Vet Squad- Sniper Rifle x3, Forward Sentries 115 Pts

-Fast-
-Scout Sentinel- ML, Multi-Laser
-Scout Sentinel- ML, Multi-Laser

-Heavy-
-LRBT
-LRBT

Looking for some constructive criticism. Not looking to win any tournaments, just have fun. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Retreat? Hell! We have but begun to fight! There will be no retreat form the Adamians! For we are Imperial Guardsmen! Protectors of the Imperium, defenders of the Golden Throne, the Devine God-Emperor's eternal servents! In this life or the next!
-Prince Lord Militant Adamis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 11:19 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

CCS and PCS can only have 1 HW irregardless of if you take SW's, Vox, Banner etc. or not.

Having the amount of Infantry you have I would invest in a Banner to help with Morale. Have you considered combining some Infantry Squads w/ a Commissar...very effective - at tarpitting enemy units, protecting Objectives/Artillery.

I'm not a fan of Sniper Rifles on Vets...Ratlings are better - cheaper, still BS4 and all of them have SR's not just 3 like the Vets, plus have some nice abilities (Stealth, Infiltrate).

Other than that it looks alright, although not my cup of tea
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 12:15 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Militant View Post
Looking for some constructive criticism. Not looking to win any tournaments, just have fun. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
I will echo what HOBO has already said - the CCS/PCS can't have more than one heavy weapon.

You could get 10 Ratling snipers for less points than one of those vet squads. The other one would benefit from an autocannon.

You are also missing a trick in not taking any Commissars - especially in KP missions - 50 Guardsmen with a Ld9 re-roll Stubborn are incredibly hard to shift.

Almost all of your army is geared towards killing light infantry; you have nothing to kill troops with a 2+ save (other than weight of fire), or heavy tanks (AV13/14).

You could drop the infantry squad from platoon 1, a special weapon squad and a vet squad and add in an Executioner with plasma sponsons - that would take care of any infantry unit.
I would also be tempted to swap one LRBT for a Manticore to deal with AV14 at range (i.e. Land Raiders).

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Lord_Militant's Flag is: USA

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably re-write the list to include saome of the suggestions. I thought about taking a commissar but that was all I see in other IG lists. That or mech vets. It just seems ''Cookie Cutter'' though Im sure it works.

Well' thanks for the comments!

Retreat? Hell! We have but begun to fight! There will be no retreat form the Adamians! For we are Imperial Guardsmen! Protectors of the Imperium, defenders of the Golden Throne, the Devine God-Emperor's eternal servents! In this life or the next!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably re-write the list to include saome of the suggestions. I thought about taking a commissar but that was all I see in other IG lists. That or mech vets. It just seems ''Cookie Cutter'' though Im sure it works.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 07:02 PM

lastdaysofhumanity's Flag is: USA

Quote:

Commissars are 100% justified by fluff though.. not taking them is kind of weird/unfluffy. Even the regiments noted as being the most loyal such as Krieg still have them around as advisors.

My experience with mortar teams is they're really terrible. Strongly recommend using autocannons, or even lascannons if you can find the points (you need the antitank badly) Likewise, ACs or LCs in the infantry squads would be a big help.

Also, second the poster that suggested getting some manticores. A big big plus with the manticores is being able to fire indirect.. since you only have a couple vehicles, they're likely to get shot easily by most armies' ranged anti-tank, and even AV14 russes aren't that hard to suppress when there's only two of them. Hiding them out of LOS is a good solution for this.

Another interesting option I've seen used to great effect in foot guard is running creed or straken+a big infantry platoon with power weapon sarges+priests. This lets you take the fight to the enemy rather than sitting in your deployment zone waiting to die.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26497&dateline=129399  0905
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 09:34 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:

It's totally up to you what to field, but what's wrong about fielding units that are efficient in terms of performing their on-field role.

As far as Commissars go only take them IF you're going to combine those Infantry Squads..if you're not, then don't. In KP games blobs are a good idea, while in Objective games they might be better seperate depending on how many units you field.

It seemed obvious to me you didn't want transports in your list so MeltaVets wouldn't be in your list anyway...and they suck on foot.

If you did want to change your HS slots there are many good/very good units to choose from...Artillery/Russ varients, take your pick, well except for Vanquishers/Punishers, but the rest all have a place, although some have stiff competition in other FOC slots - e.g. Eradicator/Hellhound.

Someone mentioned your Mortars - they are good at AI work and not needing LOS makes them survivable. They could just as easily be changed to AC's and still give you decent AI plus some anti - light tank/transport capability which your list lacks - but maybe you don't face a lot of Mech so it isn't required.

Anyway...it's always great to see new IG'ers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Alright, a few hours of work but I updated my list. Full 1500pts.

-HQ
CCS: GL x2, AC

-Elite
Ratlings6

-Troops
Infantry Platoon 1
PCS: GL x2, AC
IS: Flamer, Commissar
IS: Flamer
IS: GL
IS: GL
Infantry Platoon 2:
PCS: GL x2, AC
IS: GL AC
IS: GL AC
HWS: AC x3
HWS: AC x3

-Fast Attack
Scout Sentinels: LC AC
Scout Sentinels: LC AC

-Heavy Support
Manticore: HB
LR Executioner: Executioner PC HB PC Sponsons
LRBT: BC LC

Last edited by Lord_Militant; 01-10-11 at 11:08 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-11, 02:04 PM

lastdaysofhumanity's Flag is: USA

Looks a lot better. You'll still have trouble against AV14 but all those autocannons are going to scare the hell out of anything lighter.

Maybe switch around the sentinels so you have one unit with 2 AC and one unit with 2 LC? That way they can be specialized for specific roles.

You may find that your HWS are killed too easily. If you do, then you can move those ACs into infantry squads.. seems like a personal preference thing, more threats vs. more resilience.

If you can find points for another commissar it might be wise to do so, perhaps by dropping a HWS and moving their ACs into the platoon. Alternatively, you might want to scrounge points for some power weapons and priests for your "mobile" platoon.. since it WILL end up in CC if it advances.

Executioner is a big fat target in a tank-light environment. Deploy it carefully to make sure it's got cover and bubblewrap it well (thankfully you've got some big infantry platoons to help with that)

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26497&dateline=129399  0905
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-11, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I guess, I can drop the HWS for more Infantry Squads but the main problem I run into is points for lascannons. Even if I drop the HWS and pick up the Infantry Squads I will have 40 Points to spare not including the heavy weapons choice (Infantry Squads will have GL and a heavy weapon choice).

And I think I would want to double up my squads to help keep them on objectives and the like. And also to increase their survivability. But that leave the question of Commissars. I would want to take a Commissar for each dual squad, for the orders and the moral rolls. That and they can dispute objectives for a few turns(Hopefully).

As far as the Executioner goes, I have nothing that can really deal with higher armor saves(3+/2+) so I wanted something that can drop a squad of MEQs/TEQs in short order. Even though I know that I sank near 200 points to get it there.

As far as the Sentinels go, I think you have a good idea on combining the like weapons(LC/LC and AC/AC) I was looking to spread out the LC hits so I could target different Tanks and still have a good chance or glancing with the AC. And that would help if some pesky infantry try to get at my Sentinels with their all around AV10.

Again thanks for the tips. Looking forward to FINALLY building my army and playing a few games.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode