[150]

Manticore
Hull Heavy Flamer
[160]

(2) Basilisks
Enclosed Crew, Hull Heavy Flamers
[280]

[2495]

Just a jumping off point to test for 'Ard Boyz. Anything glaringly bad? Trying to retain maximum flexibility. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 11:15 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Great hybrid list...I like it except for a few things, some of which are personal preference so not a big deal.

I'd rather have Units built for late game use in my Vendettas...that way I'm not putting the Gunship in front of every weapon the enemy has straight away.

I only take HW's in my Plasma Vets Squads as they have the range to act as a firebase, not so MeltaVets which need to keep moving to get within that 6" sweet spot.

Basilisks I've found are best split and in a corner each..easy to protect, cover the entire board, fire at 2 targets not 1, plus don't have to worry about squadroning damage issues. A second Manticore would be just as efficient but apart from taking an Elite choice I see nowhere to spend any saved points you'd get from any changes as the list is pretty full.

As per your usual lists, nothing bad...at all really, and certainly not glaringly so
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-11, 12:31 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

You could drop the ACs from the meltavets and use the points for heavy bolters on the Vendetta's.

Other than that - looks good.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

OldHat's Flag is: USA

Hobo - What do you think about going min on the Vendetta squads and just using trio-Flamer SWS for scoring purposes and putting more points into Veterans and/or more Heavy Weapons? The reason for the Vets was the Scout move up, drop off, then zip back and shoot. That does put me perilously close and the Vets won't probably last long enough to warrant the investment, either. Thoughts?

I can try another Manticore. Being able to open up a lot of vehicles and getting side-armor, etc. That should help a ton, because most folks are getting 4+ cover on Bassies anyhow, so why bother?

@Bishop - I never dual-purpose my Vendettas. Ever. Part of that is laziness - I don't want to fit them into the model. The other part is that they are only ever shooting tanks or MCs, so its not that advantageous, I think, even if its a stellar price.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 05:40 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHat View Post
Hobo - What do you think about going min on the Vendetta squads and just using trio-Flamer SWS for scoring purposes and putting more points into Veterans and/or more Heavy Weapons? The reason for the Vets was the Scout move up, drop off, then zip back and shoot. That does put me perilously close and the Vets won't probably last long enough to warrant the investment, either. Thoughts?
I only ever put SWS and PCS's in my Vendettas now...2 Flamers/1 Demo Charge SWS's, and/or 4 Flamer PCS's are effective late-game Objective contesters. Swapping the Bassies for a second Manticore will give you the points for them, but what are you going to do with those 2 Vet Squads?

If I remember rightly you play an air-cav list, so probably know firsthand how well an alpha-strike 3 MG Vet/Vendetta unit works, so if your mileage with it is good then go for it. But many people I know who did that no longer do it because they hate losing the Gunship early and/or it was too hit and miss.
Me, I find it more efficient and more damaging sniping at range for more turns, and at the same targets I was putting the Vendetta in harm's way for, plus the Vets are in Chimeras which suits them better as well..

Quote:
I can try another Manticore. Being able to open up a lot of vehicles and getting side-armor, etc. That should help a ton, because most folks are getting 4+ cover on Bassies anyhow, so why bother?
A second Manticore is never a bad choice.

Still, playing lots of games with this list will no doubt give you better answers than any of us can provide.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

So here is the list I will test, having found the issues and whatnot:

HQ:
Company Command Squad
4x Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol
Chimera
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Laser
[175]

Company Command Squad
4x Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol, Officer of the Fleet
Chimera
[205]

Troops:
Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns, Autocannon
Chimera
[165]

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns, Autocannon
Chimera
[165]

Veteran Squad
3x Meltaguns, Autocannon
Chimera
[165]

Veteran Squad
3x Plasma Guns, Autocannon
Chimera
[180]

Veteran Squad
3x Plasma Guns, Autocannon
Chimera
[180]

Platoon Command Squad
4x Flamers
[50]

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Commissar w/ Power Weapon
[105]

Infantry Squad
Autocannon
[60]

Infantry Squad
Autocannon
[60]

Special Weapons Squad
2x Flamers, Demo Charge
[65]

Special Weapons Squad
2x Flamers, Demo Charge
[65]

Fast Attack:
Vendetta (PCS)
[130]

Vendetta (SWS)
[130]

Vendetta (SWS)
[130]

Heavy:
(2) Hydras
Hull Heavy Bolters
[150]

Manticore
Hull Heavy Flamer
[160]

Manticore
Hull Heavy Flamer
[160]

[2500]

I need to buy a few things first, but I should be able to get it on the table in a few weeks. Sooner if I just proxy a few things. Need to get some more PGs assembled, some more basic Veterans (might use some Shotgun Vets with the Meltagun squads, to offset my shortages), as well as another Manticore. I will probably just test some stuff first and see if I need it. I dropped the HWT, but added two BS4 ACs to the list with the PG Vets. That should offset the trio of BS3 ones I had anyhow. Tossed the PW from the blob, as I might as well go all or nothing, so I opted for the single Commissar one. Tossed the Astropath - I never Reserve much, really, so why bother?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 09:26 AM

Great list.
Just in case you don't have all your Chimeras built or are able to swap weapons, a Hull HB is good on the PG Vets...makes a nice firebase especially with the AC.

I didn't mention the AC in the MG Vet Squads...I used to take AC HWT all the time on these but they stymie movement, easpecially seen as you need to move to get within that 6" sweetspot. They can help a bit once the transport is busted and the survivors form a firebase, but that didn't happen often enough to be worth the points. Still, ymmv.

Personally I've being finding the all PW Blob has worked out quite nicely..the extra PW's on the Sgts have sometimes made the Blob last an extra turn as a tar-pit. Still no big deal either way.

Best of luck this year..when does 'Ard Boyz start?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, I can swap out the MG Vet ACs for PW on the Blob squad and test that out. Also, no idea when 'Ard Boyz begins, but I want to be ready for once.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 09:49 AM

Yea, playtest and then see what you're happiest with.

Cheers!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 11:30 AM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHat View Post
@Bishop - I never dual-purpose my Vendettas. Ever. Part of that is laziness - I don't want to fit them into the model. The other part is that they are only ever shooting tanks or MCs, so its not that advantageous, I think, even if its a stellar price.

While it's true i'm also not a fan on multi-purpose units in the guard book, Vendetta's with heavy bolters are still pretty awesome. Sometimes you wish you had more than just three lascannon shots from them - especially if you either a) destroy all the tanks/MC's early (quite likely) or b) the tanks/MC's don't pose as much of a threat as close-in infantry.

Heavy bolters are also OK against MC's so there is overlap there.

Still, the list will be effective, HB's or not! Time to get some practise in...

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode