Yarrick's Iron Horse 1500 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-10, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Hive Guard's Flag is: USA

Icon Yarrick's Iron Horse 1500

Whats up you all.
I just picked up a Commissar Yarrick and played him in a few games and its been a ton of fun. I know there is not a lot of numbers for a Guard army but i always felt what made a Guard army strong was the weapons not the numbers.

HQ
Commissar Yarrick
185 Points

Troop
Veteran Squad => Chimera
3x Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol, Grenadiers, (Multi Laser and Heavy Flamer)
210 Points

Veteran Squad => Chimera
210 Points

Veteran Squad => Chimera
210 Points

Veteran Squad => Chimera
3x Melta Guns, Demolitions, (Multi Laser and Heavy Flamer)
185 Points

Heavy

Manticore
160 Points

Leman Russ Vanquisher
Hull mount Las Cannon
170 Points

Leman Russ Vanquisher
Hull mount Las Cannon
170 Points

Total 1500 Points

Plan is to put Yarrick in the chimera with the melta team and to have that tank go after there heavy transport with fire support coming form the Lemans. The Manticore does what the Manticore does. Last the 3 teams of Plasma Vets will go hunting for troops.
To start its a 1 in 12 chance to die by plasma but I will stand by it because S7 Ap 2 Rappid Fire is nasty. Im a Nid player by heart so I manly know to bring the fight to the them. Its all about the high risk, high reward.
Let me know what you think about this list.
Thanks,
Stephen

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last edited by Hive Guard; 12-28-10 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 01:28 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Personally I dislike the vanquishers. Because yes they will pierce armor, but first you have to hit the armor. Secondly once all the enemy armor is gone, or if they don't have much to start with, then you have a single shot mega gun. So in general I would suggest either demolishers or another of the template lemans since then they will only scatter on average 4" and even when all the tanks are gone they can still kill lots of infantry.

Besides that the list looks like it has a decent chance.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 02:05 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

I like Yarrick from a fluff perspective, but he brings little to the board really, especially when there are zero Infantry on the Board...now that the Lord Commissar has being buffed due to Cama Cloaks I see even less reason to take him, except for the background. A CCS with SW's gives more bang for your buck.

120 pts spent on Doctrines - the Vets already have a Chimera to keep them safe, plus the points are usually best spent on offensive units that actually kill the enemy.

I'm a proponent of Plasma as well so no drama there, although I think your list is light on efficient AV hunters.

Relying on those 2 Vanquishers as your main AT won't work out the vast majority of times...maybe 1 in 6/8 games it'll actually destroy something. Lack of AP1 and 1 shot is terrible for what was supposed to be IG's Tank that's a Tank killer. I would swap them for either more MeltaVets or a Medusa with BB's if you want reliable high AV killers, or even another Manticore.

In my lists I rely on Hydras to target Transports so my MeltaVets/Medusas/Manticore can focus on the higher AV hunting... I guess it depends on how Mech-heavy the lists you face are.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 05:55 AM

Imp Blackheart's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBO View Post
Lack of AP1 and 1 shot is terrible for what was supposed to be IG's Tank that's a Tank killer.
hey hobo, could you explain what you mean by 1 shot?
And I personaly like vanqs, but I would not bring them to a GT or a plain tournament, FW rules for them were better, then GW got ahold of them and nuturd them something firce! But for home games or long table games they will rule the board, but short tables..... Won't make the cut.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 07:55 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
hey hobo, could you explain what you mean by 1 shot?
Heavy 1

And I personaly like vanqs, but I would not bring them to a GT or a plain tournament, FW rules for them were better, then GW got ahold of them and nuturd them something firce! But for home games or long table games they will rule the board, but short tables..... Won't make the cut.

I like them too, and have 2 of them, but they only get used in my AB list (using old FW rules because they neutered them in the IA1 PDF to match the codex, except for the Co-Ax weapon)..so yea casual play only.

Mine rule the long table in maybe 1 game in 6/8...actual stats as some of the guys in my group are anal and make lists for everything. Every IG player I know would have been happy if they kept them with the same Stats as the old FW ones and upped the cost to 180/200...at least they would still be fielded

So I find my reliable tank busting elsewhere, but if yours work for you - cool
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-10, 01:28 AM

Stick with the regular LRBT. Give it the lascannon and with the battle cannon with the ordnance rule makes it very proficient at tank fighting and infantry killing.

Round up the usual suspects.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode