Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1850 Emperor's Fist and CAD HELP!!!!

8K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  HokieHWT 
#1 ·
Here is what I’m working on for my 1850 list. I played a guy who placed in the top 10 at the NOVA open today, Necrons and Tau. He maxed his points, I scored 5, but I didn’t get tabled. How do you stop tanks from being punched to death? I can’t figure it out. I love my tanks, LOVE THEM, and won’t give them up. I love the formation, but I need to figure out how to make sure they survive. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Do I just run conscripts and bubble wrap the tanks? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

CAD
CCS-Chimera
Platoon
PCS- Vendetta
Commissar
2 Squads
HWT- 3 Autocannons
SWT- 3 Flamers, Vendetta
Vets- Chimera, 3 Plasmaguns

Emperor’s Fist Armoured Company Formation
3 Enginseers
Pask Punisher, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Exterminator
2 Executioners
Battle Tank

See less See more
#2 ·
hm camo nets could help for ranged weapons, automatic 6+ save, not much but it helped me a lot when I tested it.

on another note, I would advice dropping 1 plasma gun from the veteran squad. if they are going to ride around in a chimera you can have 2 plasma guns and use the top hatch. no need to leave the transport anymore.

about tanks. I am not sure why you would bubblewrap them. try to present your front armour as much as possible, and spread them around. the 12" BS 4 is a very tempting buff but if you keep all your tanks close together its gonna make for one big target for close combat units coming from assault vehicles.
in my experience leman russ tanks can take a pretty big beating before giving up the ghost. untill the enemy decides to focus all their firepower on them.

the only downside is that Tau and Necrons are basicly 1# on the list of vehicle killing armies.

#3 ·
Thanks @Haskanael! I ran into a similar problem when I come up against ANY CC army. Shooting I can handle with front AV14 but in CC anything hits rear armor either AV10 or AV11. So anything strength 4 or 5 has a chance to glance. Also scarabs glance on a 6, as do plaguebearers with "rust".

I like the idea of camo netting, then I can shoot and pop smoke in the same turn with the tank commander order, giving a 5+ but can that be used in close combat too?

With the new Emperor's Fist formation, GW is trying to make Guard a little more competitive so there has to be a way to stop models from getting so close. I always hear of bubble wrap but can't find an explanation of what it actually means.

:cray:

#4 ·
yeah bubble wrap is basicly putting infantry around your tanks, personaly I find it inneficient and a waste of points. I try to keep on the move. and make sure I have other units that are scary in my army.

here is a list I tried in 2 battles last weekend. it met with mild succes while suffering a devastating loss against Necrons. (honestly even their basic weapons glance our tanks to death and those wraiths.. those wraiths... and all the bloody re animation protocoal safes and what not)
but a very strong win against a dark angel Deathwing/raven wing list.

"Emperor's fist" armoured company
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Tank commander, Leman russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
Leman Russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank, Heavy bolter, camo netting.
3rd squadron
Leman Russ Domolisher, Heay bolter, multi melta's, camo netting.
4th squadron
Leman Russ executioner, Plasma cannons, camo netting.
-
"Emperor's blade" assault company
Regimental command carapace armour, 2x plasma guns.
veterans 2x melta guns, carapace armour.
veterans 2x plasma guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

the entire list is based on staying on the move, capturing and holding objectives and then moving on. while packing a fair amount of firepower.
and occasionaly ramming and tank shocking (not something I can recomend against necrons tho)

#7 ·
@ntaw Where does it say Pask can't be taken in the Emperor's Fist Armoured Company? I'm looking at the book right now and it says no restrictions, as well as allowing it in Battle Scribe. Am I missing something somewhere?

#9 ·
Look at the picture I posted. The Command Formation has a caviat saying he can replace the Tank Commander, the Armoured Company does not. I can post a bunch of other Formations that have similar restrictions on Unique Characters, but have done so several times at this point and am feeling lazy.

GW also has the Emperor's Fist boxed set pictured with 20 Guardsmen (instead of 50) saying that it's 'all you need' for that Formation, and Battlescribe is not a valid source for rules no matter how pretty the interface is.

#11 ·
Just confirmed with one of the guys who run the NOVA Open that he in fact can be. There are no restrictions on the formation. He's a main character in the Mont'ka book as well so it makes sense.

Not trying to argue but I believe you're mistaken mate.

#13 ·
I contacted a GW manager as well. He can be added because he is a "tank commander", specifically an upgrade to one. It states the formations needs a tank commander, which he is. That's the explanation I got from both the NOVA guy and the GW guy.

#16 ·
So I woke up this morning to about 4 emails from various people about this. They are split on how to read it. Some are saying it was noted in the Battle Group as a reminder that Pask and Castellan can be taken in the formation and not noted in the others to save room, sort of like a full citation the first time you put it in then it continues for the rest of the article, while others are agreeing with you. The more I think about it, I can see both sides now. Hopefully I receive a response from the FAQ people, because without Pask I need to change my entire list. If/when I get a response I'll PM you with a copy for your own use, if you care or not.

I just wish GW would be clearer at all times and not leave this up to discussion, they do it much too often.

Merry Christmas all!

#15 ·
The GW guy said he was written in the Battle group command as a reminder, not a special rule. Just like you can always take Pask as a commander. Same with Castellan and the shield company, he may replace the company commander.

I emailed the FAQ to get written confirmation, just so I don't have to call GW every time someone questions it.

#18 ·
I'm going to get to the bottom of this, for sure! I emailed ITC FAQ as well. What pisses me off the most is the damn picture on page 160 has Pask in it! That would be the ultimate screw off, putting him in the picture and not allowing it....like a girl who looks great inside the bar but the ne t morning you find out her name was Jim.

#20 ·
Maybe it is! I know some were interpreting it as 5 squads, although it says infantry squads. That's a PCS (1), 2 infantry squads (2&3), and 2 heavy weapons squads (4&5). I'm waiting for an FAQ. It just doesn't make sense, once again, how they wrote it. What is shown makes sense because it's an actual platoon.

#21 ·
Who the hell wants to run 3-5 man platoons? I sure as hell don't. They are pointless. I will actually be trying out the Blade Assault Company with 4 chimeras and a hellhound, actually went out and bought one today. Need to figure out which variant I want to make or does it HAVE to be a hellhound, as written?

#24 ·
if you want to go for a flamer template with ignore cover, go for the Chem cannon (poisoned 2+ is awesome against marines and such)

however the Melta cannon lets you shoot a small blast with melta stats, minus the melta special rule.

between these two the standard hellhound seems a bit. sad.

and personaly I got great delight out of killing a ravenwing bike squad with the chem cannon last weekend.

#26 ·
I had a question about this list:

"Emperor's fist" armoured company
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Tank commander, Leman russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
Leman Russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank, Heavy bolter, camo netting.
3rd squadron
Leman Russ Domolisher, Heay bolter, multi melta's, camo netting.
4th squadron
Leman Russ executioner, Plasma cannons, camo netting.
-
"Emperor's blade" assault company
Regimental command carapace armour, 2x plasma guns.
veterans 2x melta guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

Can you run a "Core" and "Auxiliary" without the "Command"? And as a follow up, would it be possible to run just an "Auxiliary"?

thank you for any responses, have not been sure how to fit these new formations in my current army, would be much easier to not have to follow the Detachment Org and just choose 1 of the formations.

#29 ·
I had a question about this list

Can you run a "Core" and "Auxiliary" without the "Command"? And as a follow up, would it be possible to run just an "Auxiliary"?

thank you for any responses, have not been sure how to fit these new formations in my current army, would be much easier to not have to follow the Detachment Org and just choose 1 of the formations.
I believe you can but you don't get the command benefits of high command, vox net or sharpshooter. You can make an army out of just formations, I ran an emperors fist and Skyhammer last week, just don't get objective secured unless you run emperors blade, which gives it as a formation benefit. I'm not the expert but I have been asking GW managers at two separate stores for their interruptions.

#27 ·
As far as the Pask issue, it clearly says "No unique models may taken other than the ones listed"

But nowhere does it say Special Characters are restricted to Cadian Planet, meaning if you could take Pask or Creed in a Core or Auxiliary choice you could in turn take Straken or harker in any of those formations. I feel that they included the bit about No unique Char. outside of the ones listed to prevent this argument of adding Unique Characters to non Battle Command Formations aswell as keeping it Cadian SC only.

#28 ·
As far as the Pask issue, it clearly says "No unique models may taken other than the ones listed"

But nowhere does it say Special Character are restricted to Cadian Planet, meaning if you could take Pask or Creed in a Core or Auxiliary choice you could in turn take Straken or harker in any of those formations. I feel that they included the bit about No unique Char. outside of the ones listed to prevent this argument of adding Unique Characters to non Battle Command Formations aswell as keeping it Cadian SC only.
Correct and Pask is listed under the Battle Group Command on the same page as that sentence. I'm still waiting on ITC and GW FAQ to respond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.