New to Guard 1850pt Competitive - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-14, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

donkey555's Flag is: England

Default New to Guard 1850pt Competitive

Hi, I am a new to guard and haven't played since 5th having been a dark angel player before. I want to make a semi-competitive list that wont be tabled every game but still allows for some modelling work. The aim of this is create a list that I can make without too much outlay (im using 2 cadian defence boxes in this) to maximise my funds.

Also does anyone know some good tallarn head swaps? I may do tallarn if i can find some head swaps, I found these but could do with more http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/he...ers-heads-bits

Here is the list:

HQ – CCS – Regimental Standard, Medic, Lascannon – 110 pts (To give ordrs and for modelling reasons, gotta love banners)

HQ – Pask – Pask in Leman Russ Vanquiser w/ lascannon and sponsor Multi Melta, Leman Russ Executioner w/ Sponsor Plasma Cannons – 420 pts

HQ – Commissar – 25 pts

HQ – Primaris Psyker – Mastery Level 2 – 75 pts (Mans the Quadgun / prescients everything! )

Troop – Veterans – 2 Plasmaguns, Chimera – 155 pts

Troop – Veterans – 2 Meltaguns, pw, Chimera – 155 pts

Troop – PCS – 2 Grenade Launchers, Autocannon – 50 pts

Troop – Infantry Squad – Grenade Launcher, Autocannon – 65 pts (Infantry Squads will be blobbed into
groups of 20, one accompanied by the commissar)

Troop – Infantry Squad – Grenade Launcher, Autocannon – 65 pts

Heavy Support – Punisher – Sponsor Heavy Bolters – 160 pts

Heavy Support – Manticore – 170 pts

Fortification – Aegis Defence Line w/ Quadgun – 100 pts

TOTAL – 1850 pts

So the platoon and CCS sit behind the wall and shoot stuff along with the manticores and russes, vets act as an attacking and countering threat.

72 men, 3 tanks, 2 transports, 2 arty and a wall.

"Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals."-Colman MaCarthy

Last edited by donkey555; 11-11-14 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-14, 06:17 AM
otasolgryn's Flag is: Denmark

et par ting:

veteranerne can have 3 special weapons, so they should have that.
Its kinda what they do. And would most surely drop the power weapon from the squad. Melee is.... bad for IG. really really bad. There is no thread where a power weapon is useful for a unit of 10 guardsmen.

Personally i find that manticores is a bit in the expensive end these days.
But i can see that others are still using them, so thats a matter of taste.
I prefer a standart leman russ or some wyverns.

And can see that many blob their 40-50 guardsmen into one big unit.
this clearly make re-rolls and the commisar better.

I just dont like units that bit. i stick to 30 personally

and your psyker want to be in a unit. he truly truly wants to. a big one, if he can.
or he die in turn 1.

Last edited by otasolgryn; 11-11-14 at 06:23 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-14, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasolgryn View Post
et par ting:

veteranerne can have 3 special weapons, so they should have that.
Its kinda what they do. And would most surely drop the power weapon from the squad. Melee is.... bad for IG. really really bad. There is no thread where a power weapon is useful for a unit of 10 guardsmen.

Personally i find that manticores is a bit in the expensive end these days.
But i can see that others are still using them, so thats a matter of taste.
I prefer a standart leman russ or some wyverns.

And can see that many blob their 40-50 guardsmen into one big unit.
this clearly make re-rolls and the commisar better.

I just dont like units that bit. i stick to 30 personally

and your psyker want to be in a unit. he truly truly wants to. a big one, if he can.
or he die in turn 1.
The reason for two special weapons was that i was planning to leave the vets in the transports so only two can shoot so i though it was a waste of points to add another weapon.

I could put the psyker with one blob, commissar with the other.

I am a bit iffy on the manticores myself but i dont like the standard russ, snap shots is annoying, what else do you suggest? I was toying with a vendetta with a flamer special weapon squad and a hellhound instead. That is 340 pts on the dot.

"Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals."-Colman MaCarthy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-14, 09:36 PM

hocky's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like the list bar the grenade launchers and power weapons. Use the points for the third vet weapon in each squad. The chimeras won't last all game and you will want to get them out at some point so always take triples. Do not drop the two manticores they are amazing. A possible 6 x str 10 large blasts barrage with no cover that could be prescienced by the psyker is not expensive by stretch of the imagination! They are devastating! If you can squeeze a vendetta it is worth it but that is a lot of bodies to shift.
I always run my infantry in 20's. I rarely push them forward because of the ac's and sets of 20 with commissars will be a tar pit combat if the enemy get too close and provides the enemy with target saturation. I also have success with 3 x ac's as a heavy weapon team stuck behind the aegis line similar reasons.

The quickest way to a traitors heart is through his ribcage - Commissariat Mantra

Check out my IG Project Log here (The Emperor's Feth 2)

Check out Jangalak's IG Project Log here(The Emperor's Feth)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-14, 09:36 AM
otasolgryn's Flag is: Denmark

Great, i just saw that i wrote my earlier post in a mix of danish and english. I do apologize.

New post while being dead beat tired i guess.

As for the leman russ, you buy it for the big gun. Dont buy anything extra, and never mind the heavy bolter. If it hit something its fine, if not, its not important.
As for something else to use, it depends what you want them to do.
Wyvers do terrible things to infantry, and nothing really to tanks.
Manticores est tanks and lots of other stuff, but many out there still got saves.
And the leman russ is a bit in the middle.

And its nice to hear that there are still fans of the manticore out there. Ill still say that the price tag is a bit high for the randomness, but clearly not sll agree. And its just cool that they are still viable.

And the psyker could join the other 20 man. That should keep him alive. That solves that.
Grenade launchers get a lot of bad press. I like them as they are cheap and have a decent range. But i also mostly play orks, eldar and nids, all armies where they are best against.

If you mostly see marines, they might be less great.
But i like they options they bring, cheaply

Last edited by otasolgryn; 11-12-14 at 09:48 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-14, 02:01 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

You'll need to do some custom converting of the tanks, the ones that come in the Cadian Defence Box are the LRBT, Vanquisher, Exterminator version, not the Demolisher, Punisher, Executioner version.

I personally like to run a Vanquisher commander alongside an exterminator - cheap, good anti-light vehicles and provides the dakka you want to keep infantry away. Also, re-rolls.

I have four manticores that always get used during Apocalypse and often get used singly or in pairs during 40k games. Excellent artillery, love them.

Hellhounds are fun when they do their job, but they are also priority targets that will wear bullets fast and hard, being only AV12.

After playing orks and dire avenger eldar a fair few times, I think I'm in love with the Wyvern. Only against infantry though, but that's fine - its range means that you won't get the chance to target tanks so much on turn 1 or 2, and so by the time it's in range, the infantry have usually dismounted.

I think that your infantry are fine, just remember that guardsmen are peons who will die in droves unless you take proper care of them. Aegis is excellent, but it may be worth keeping your veterans in their tin cans back in reserves until you see which flank the enemy deploys to destroy, and then pitching them against the tanks or heavy infantry as appropriate.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Ok so taking on board what everyone has said I have come up with the following list. I have put so stormtroopers in for modelling purposes but, i will also paint up a second manticore so that i can drop the stormtroopers and ML on the psyker to take a manticore instead. The reason for stormtroopers is i felt the army could do with some more offensive qualities, taking the fight to the enemy (melta tanks or secure an objective).

I have settled on a army scheme, going with the Cadian 7th of Tyrok Fields, here is a link for my homebrew fluff: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=173098

Army List

HQ – CCS – Regimental Standard, Medic, Lascannon – 110 pts

HQ – Pask – Pask in Leman Russ Vanquiser w/ lascannon and sponsor Multi Melta, Leman Russ
Executioner w/ Sponsor Plasma Cannons – 420 pts

HQ – Commissar – Emperor’s Benediction – 30 pts

HQ – Primaris Psyker – ML 2 – 75 pts

Elites – Stormtroopers – 10 men, 2 Meltaguns – 150pts

Troop – Veterans – 3 Plasmaguns, Chimera – 170 pts

Troop – Veterans – 3 Meltaguns, Chimera – 155 pts

Troop – PCS – 2 Grenade Launchers, Autocannon – 50 pts

Heavy Support – Punisher – Sponsor Heavy Bolters – 160 pts

Fortification – Aegis Defence Line w/ Quadgun – 100 pts

TOTAL – 1850 pts

Last edited by donkey555; 11-21-14 at 10:31 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 02:00 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Love the Pask vanquisher/executioner combo, that's exactly how I'd run him.

The consensus is to take three special weapons on the vet squads but I'd just keep them at two to be honest. I can see the benefit of three, but in my case I'd always tinker and tinker with lists to fine tune them, and I know eventually I'd be looking for points to save and it would almost certainly be the third special weapons.

I've posted this elsewhere recently, but I'd take an eradictor instead of the punisher, and stick plasma cannons on it. Take a heavy stubber too. Against light infantry the plasmas are going to be no worse than heavy bolters, maybe better. But it gives a real boost against more heavily armoured infantry with the plasmas potentially doing big damage and the other guns forcing lots of saves

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode