500pts No Leman Russ's - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-14, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Default 500pts No Leman Russ's

So this my first Guard List (new to this) and i don't like the Leman Russ stuff so i am not including any. I need the list to be balanced and its all theory at the moment so pretty much everything is changeable.

Here is My List-

Company Command Squad w/ missile launcher-75pts

Infantry Platoon-290pts
Platoon Command Squad-30pts
2 x Infantry Squads-100pts
Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 missile launchers-90pts
Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons-75pts

Vet Squad-60pts

Rough Riders w/ 2 meltas-75pts

500 pts total
50 models total

So what do people think ? My plan is for 2 inf to combine and have PCS follow them round giving orders while the HWS's and CCS stay back getting appropriate orders and shooting the big stuff or fragging blobs, the vets will advance or stay back depending on situation and rough riders will flank round and try and get rear/side armour shots on tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-14, 09:24 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Take advantage of the fact that the infantry squads you're buying can get heavy and special weapons! 10 Veterans with just lasguns is a waste of that rare BS4 you get, there, for instance. I'd say try something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaza666 View Post
Company Command Squad w/ lascannon & 2 grenade launchers -90pts

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad w/ autocannon & grenade launcher -45pts
2 x Infantry Squads w/ autocannon & flamer -130pts
Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 missile launchers -90pts

Vet Squad w/ 2 meltas -80pts
- Chimera w/ multilaser & heavy bolter -65pts
I'd get as many autocannons, but they have some protective bodies before I have to start removing those bodies (plus some flamers for close anti-combat shooting). I upgraded the BS 4 missile launcher to a lascannon and got some more grenade launchers in there for nice S5 grenade shooting or more frag small blasts. I dropped the Rough Riders, but kept a mobile melta-unit by giving the Vets that role (with a higher BS) in a Chimera.

You like the look of that?

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-14, 04:30 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Melta vets in a chimera is a staple of guard anti-armour.
However, if you were shying away from tracked vehicles altogether, i'd recommend armoured sentinel squadrons with autocannons or plasma cannons - they can pose a hard to crack threat to any squafds or flanks that are light on anti-tank weaponry.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the responses!

After thinking about it more after posting the list, I am considering a WW1 themed army so it will be primarily Infantry and Artillery and so no chimeras/hellhounds/Battle Tanks (thinking ahead here to higher point lists) however (armoured) sentinels and armoured artillery vehicles are a go ahead (and aircraft are too cool to miss out later on), so acting on this and above suggestions, what do you think of this :

IG-500pts

CCS w/ lascannon & 2 Grenade Launchers -90pts

PCS w/ autocannon and 2 Grenade Launchers -50pts
Inf Squad w/ autocannon and flamer -65pts
Inf Squad w/ autocannon and flamer -65pts
HWT w/ 3 autocannon-75pts

Vets w/ autocannon and 2 snipers -74pts

Armoured Sentinel w/autocannon -45pts

Armoured Sentinel w/autocannon -45pts

Total Points -499
Models - 40

So looking at this I think I might need a missile launcher / lascannon as only the CCS could hurt AV 14 so maybe swap the vets to this :

Vets w/ missile launcher -75pts

what do you think ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-14, 03:12 AM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

If your playing a 500 point game you wont see many AV 14's. Or if you do, maybe on one facing. Thats what the sentinels are for, they hit side armor.
IF your are worried about that kind of metal, do as Iraqiel suggested and run melta vets in a chimera. Mossy is spot on as well, autocannons are an IG infantrymans best friend, along with a flamer or grenade launcher.
As far as your vets right now, no snipers. Vets, in my opinion, should stay mobile. Keep heavy weapons off and give them either melta or plasma. Otherwise I like. Maybe add a commissar if you could spare the points, the infintry blob could use the ld9 and stubborn.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-14, 02:55 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

That's a s7 ap4 deathlist my friend. If you were to go up to 750, I'd be inclined towards a primaris psyker for divination, plasma sentinel and another vet squad with Missile launcher and flakk missiles.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-14, 01:16 AM

Miester_Zef's Flag is: USA

In higher lists i would consider a 8-10 man ratling squad. They are cheap and much better than last edition. Infilitrate them into the open near cover if you go first. Try to use them to take out warlords and special characters. After shooting they are permitted to run. Seek cover!! If you roll right slay the warlord and get first blood. If you fail to kill they have your oppents attention and they become dakka magnets. So the following happens 1) they draw fire which would normally go to something else more important, or 2) they continue shooting and killing units option one occurs. Either way they are cheap for what they do and could potentially turn the game. And they fit that WWI thing you wanted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Tags
500pts , army list , imperial guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode