Re-thinking the Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Default Re-thinking the Guard

Hey,

Well, I am sure we will see lots of Guard lists over the next few days, so thought i'd share the first one I have been toying over this evening.
I want to keep my usual core list: Straken with a couple of blobs, supported by tanks and a couple of chimeras. A bit hammer and anvil, like how I have always played Guard. But of course now I have had to shuffle things around with the loss of artillery, and think I will turn to cheaper priced Leman Russ's to fill that particular void.
Also, cheap and plentiful access to divination changes things a bit too, along with Priests looking a lot more attractive now to lead blobs.

HQ
- Company Command Squad w/Straken, x2 meltaguns

- Inquisitor
- Inquisitor
- Primaris Psyker
- Priest
- Priest

Troops:
- PCS w/x3 plasma, Chimera

- Infantry Squad x30, w/x3 flamers, x3 autocannons

- PCS w/x3 Plasma, Chimera

- Infantry Squad x30, w/x3 flamers, x3 autocannons

- Special Weapons Squad w/x3 flamers: (in Vendetta)

Fast Attack:
- Vendetta

Heavy Support:
- Leman Russ Punisher Squadron x2

- Leman Russ Executioner Squadron x2

- Manticore

:2000pts

One Priest and Inquisitor attached to each 30-man blob. Priest gives fearless and hatred to each and those useful 'War Hymns'. Inquisitor can cast Prescience on the blob and can couple nicely with snap firing autocannons and first rank fire orders. Lots of re-rolls to hit. Straken will always be close by to give furious charge and counter-attack to both too. Those flamers are there in the blobs for some added overwatch protection.

Special Weapons Squad go in the Vendetta for late game objective grabbing. Platoon Command Squads are there in Chimeras to give orders where needed, perhaps even using the new precision shot order on themselves for those plasma shots, taking out some characters or special weapons.

The Primaris Psyker can squad up with Straken or one of the Platoon Command Squads and give Prescience to those Gatlings in the Punisher Squadron, or Prescience to Straken in challenges coupled with his AP2 I3 attacks would be quite nice.
Executioners do their thing.

Manticore is there mainly for long range anti-armour or anti-horde.

Think I have everything right here, if any mistakes let me know.

SF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 08:08 AM
Bringbackmacharius's Flag is: United Kingdom

If the PCS are staying in the chimera permanently you could drop 1 plasma from each squad as you can no longer shoot more than 2 out of a chimera as you probably know.

You could then give your priests plasma guns. A minor thing. And you may not have the models with plasma guns. It would just mean 2 more plasma shots a turn. And you may not like the idea of blowing up your own priest if it all goes horribly wrong.

Other then that outside of hardcore tourney lists that list looks pretty scary. Sheer volume of shots, followed by even if the enemy get in CC they will have to chew through 60 fearless guard with Strakens aura and the priest hymns!

V is for Vendetta...Gunship of course!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 08:38 AM
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

What's an inquisitor? Did I miss something in the new codex? I don't see any of that kind of entry.

The Emperor protects.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 09:09 AM
Bringbackmacharius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Presumably from one of the Ordo- codices.

The use of Allied inquisitors are pretty common even in Eldar and Tau for the psychic powers and servo skulls I think.

According to what I've read you don't need to usual 1 HQ 1 Troop as the codex simply doesn't have it as an option.

V is for Vendetta...Gunship of course!

Last edited by Bringbackmacharius; 04-15-14 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry yeah, the Inquisitors are from the Inquisitor Codex. They are 25pts a pop, which is ridiculously good value, as they come with LD10, stubborn, caraplace armour and are level 1 psykers that can take Divination powers (amongst other things).

The codex says that you can take x1 HQ choice and everything else is optional (another x1 HQ, x1 Elite etc.) So I simply took x2 Inquisitors at x25pts each to attach to my two blobs.
The only other option from the Guard codex would've been Primaris Psykers, which at 50pts just do not compare to Inquisitors.
Inquisitors can also hold the blob together if the Priest dies, as they are stubborn and LD10.

Edit: oops, turns out Inquisitors are actually 55pts with the upgrade to level 1 psykers...Will need to find room for them or drop for Primaris Pyskers.

Last edited by Straken's_Fist; 04-15-14 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringbackmacharius View Post
If the PCS are staying in the chimera permanently you could drop 1 plasma from each squad as you can no longer shoot more than 2 out of a chimera as you probably know.

You could then give your priests plasma guns. A minor thing. And you may not have the models with plasma guns. It would just mean 2 more plasma shots a turn. And you may not like the idea of blowing up your own priest if it all goes horribly wrong.

Other then that outside of hardcore tourney lists that list looks pretty scary. Sheer volume of shots, followed by even if the enemy get in CC they will have to chew through 60 fearless guard with Strakens aura and the priest hymns!
Yeah I did consider dropping it to just x2 plasma guns. Maybe I should? It's a spare 30pts to spend. I wouldn't risk plasmas on the priests though for the reason you mentioned! Need to get them stuck in with zealot (if Prescience casting fails, Hatred is there to fall back on in first round of close combat) and war hymns.
Could just spend it all on vox casters to ensure orders, though testing at ld10 it seems a waste. Maybe heavy bolters on the Punishers for even more shots would be better?

Well, glad you like it. I think it would be fun to play. Now I just need to buy some Inquisitors and Priests and covert some gatling turrets!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 01:17 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
Edit: oops, turns out Inquisitors are actually 55pts with the upgrade to level 1 psykers...Will need to find room for them or drop for Primaris Pyskers.
For that 5 point difference I feel like there's more that the Inquisitor has to offer over a Primaris Psyker, though most of those things only increase cost.

I sure like mine.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
For that 5 point difference I feel like there's more that the Inquisitor has to offer over a Primaris Psyker, though most of those things only increase cost.

I sure like mine.
Yeah sadly I couldn't fit them into the above list (even after shaving off meltaguns on the CCS and the plasma guns) so have gone with Primaris Psykers and Priests for the blobs...
I have ordered the Warhammer Fantasy Flagellant Warband:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/...ellant-Warband with a plan to use the bitz to kitbash with guard bitz to make some primaris psykers and priests.

I think I will fit Inquisitors somewhere into lists in the future though, if only for the cool models.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 03:09 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Just occurred to me, dropping the 3rd PG in your PCS's allows the remaining 3 members of the squad to effectively use one side of the Lasgun Array.

Loving the new Chimera rule(s).

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Just occurred to me, dropping the 3rd PG in your PCS's allows the remaining 3 members of the squad to effectively use one side of the Lasgun Array.

Loving the new Chimera rule(s).
And frees up points for Inquisition. :D

Thinking of getting this dude and just cutting off the axe and replacing with a bolt pistol for an Inquisitor: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/hell-d...rod_14777.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode