IG 2000Pts ADVICE PLEASE - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Default IG 2000Pts ADVICE PLEASE

Hello, and thank you all for taking a look! Ive come to Heresy Online for some intense IG support, and being a greenhorn hopefully you all can offer some enlightenment on a new 2000 point list I've created. I will list any unused models at the bottom of the list in a clearly labeled section, so please reserve your suggestions to models & troop formations that I already own, rather than suggesting to buy extra units please.

HQ: CCS -85PTS-

Company Commander x1
Veterans x3
Veteran w/ vox
Astropath

TROOPS: -515PTS-

Platoon Command Squad:
plt'n Commander x1
Veterans x3
veteran w/ vox x1

Infantry Squad [1]: [-combine with squad 2-]
Sgt. x1
Guardsmen w/ lasgun x8
Guardsmen w/ flamer x1
Commissar w/ power sword x1

Infantry Squad [2]:
Sgt. x1
Guardsmen w/ lasgun x8
Guardsmen w/ flamer x1

Veteran Squad [1]:
Gunnery Sgt. harker w/ Heavy Bolterx1
Missile Launcher team x1
Vetern w/ flamer x3
veteran w/ vox x1
veterans w/lasgun 4
-Forward Sentries

Veteran Squad [2]
Veteran Sgt. x1
Missile Launcher team x1
Veterans w/ Melta x3
Veteran w/ lasguns 5
-Forward Sentries

Leman Russ Squadron [NOTE: the Imperial Armor book says I can take Russ's as troops, not sure if this is legal -my opponents say Armor books are fine to use-]

ADDITIONAL TROOPS/HEAVY SUPPORT [depending on above ^]: 695 PTS

Leman Russ Battle tank w/ front HF
Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ front HF
Leman Russ Punisher w/ Front HB & HB sponsons
Leman Russ Executioner w/ Fron HF

FAST ATTACK 545

Vendetta Squadron:
Vandetta x1
Vandetta x1

Vulture Squadron:
Vultur Gunship w/ TL Punisher gatling cannon x1

Hellhound Squadron:
Banewolf x1

ELITES: 115PTS

Storm trooper squad:
Sgt. w/ Power axe
Troopers w/ melta x2
Troopers w/ hot-shot lasgun x2

FORTIFICATIONS: 50 PTS

Aegis Defense Line [no upgrades] x1

ADDITIONAL MODELS TO SUB-IN: Castellan Creed, Iron Hand Straken, Commissar yarrick, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet, 15 additional Kasrkins, 20 Guardsmen [or proxy as Vets/Conscripts], Basilisk, Colossus, Special Weapons Squad (x3 Catachan snipers)....and lastly, not that I can field it...1 Baneblade.

So please go ahead and critique it, I'd be dissapointed if it wasnt covered in 'red-ink' haha, I look forward to your comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 01:54 AM
93rdSaphraDarkGuard's Flag is: USA

hey Kaskrin looks like you have a pretty solid list there, but.. I have quite a few pointers. Power Weapons of any kind on anything other than Commissars or Company commanders are kind of a waste of points sooo you're probably gonna get about 20pts back. In the Imperial Armour books it says that Leman Russes are a Troops choice only in the Armoured Regiment Army List so in this list they are Heavy Support. Flamers are on the Vet squad is pretty much a waste of vets those guys have the Ballistic Skill of a space marine, hand them a plasma gun! If you give your vets Meltas drop them in a Chimera so that they can get close. In the Guard named characters really arent worth the trouble, points, and heartbreak when they die, I'd drop Harker and grab another infantry squad for that platoon.
Wow I can go on for a while eh? Sorry buit there is still more.
Those flamers are still bugging me, to be quite honest if an Imperial Guard squad gets within range to use that flamer effectively , they might as well use it on themselves becasue they will all die horribly. They general rule for IG is keep your enemy at least 12" away so that they can assault you, get Grenade Launchers. Personally not a fan of the banewolf considering you have to be within 8" to be in range, I'd throw that back to a hellhound with a heavy flamer on the front at least that Flamestorm cannon can reach out to a max of 18". Oh the vanquisher, scrap it, trying to hit something with that is like trying to shoot the broadside of a barn from a mile away wtih a .22, proxy it as a battle tank and I guarantee you will pop more tanks with that. I gotta say having a for +1 to your reserve rolls with that Astropath is kinda nice although for 10 points cheaper you can get a re-rollable reserves roll with the comms relay attached to the defense line.
There is probably more but if you have questions about anything specific, ask away.
Oh bullocks I almost forgot, but you actually can use that Baneblade as per the new Escalation rules that came out a little while ago.

93rd Saphra Armored Regiment: 128-101-13
Iron Warriors Warband: Destroyed
Raven Guard 6th Company: 29-19-7
Black Templar Reclamation Destroyed
Tau Bora'kan Hunter Cadre: 14-10-2
Unnamed Adeptus Mechanicus Force: Coming Soon!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Oh that's really helpful! I do have a specific question, I've been reading around through both the forums and google, it seems as though most people dont like taking storm troopers, they say they are over priced [too bad they're my fav elite haha], what would you say on that matter? Is a pin-point deep striking (with re-rolls on scatter) anti-tank squad of Kasrkins worth it? or should I sub-in with another squad of Veterans/Infantry/Conscripts?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Oh and with regards to Harker I was planning on having his vets squad sit in the aegis line on top of an objective, seeing as the aegis line can be placed around the Objective so long as the objective is outside the aegis 2" zone, Harker gives stealth, in combo with camo cloaks gives me a nice 2+ cover save to sit on an objective. Is this naive?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 01:18 PM

That is true the stormtroopers are a little over priced but itts kinda fun if they can kill the right target (Land Riaders, Monoliths, Leman Russes) and make you're opponent pull some of their hair out.
That would be nice that little +2 cover save but when you consider that the objective will give you that 1/6th of the time and if anyone hits them with a Flamer, barrage weapon, or MArkerlights all that 10 man squad has left is its flak armor. I'd put that platoon in behind there with some autocannons, grenade launchers and a commissar, thats 20-30 infantry that get to re-roll their leadership plus get bumped uip by whatever orders you give them.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Makes sense, I'll make some tweaks, now on to tactics (if you dont mind a lengthy conversation haha)...what would you suggest for tactics against a chaos space marine army with daemon allies [I know he's taking 2 flying daemon princes, but I get to use the Baneblade in a 2500Pts match]....following that battle I have to face a Tau-Farsight army right after with this 2000pts list. I plan to use the 2000 pts list for the chaos guy as well, im just going to slap on the Baneblade to make it 2500. does that make sense? and if so, what would you recommend?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 02:24 AM

Two very challenging armies because the CSMs can tear you apart in close combat and the Farsight lists are highly mobile.
Lets start with the CSM/ Deamons: You're gonna need to knock those Princes out of the sky if they start flying, considering any hits against them makes them take a grounding test is a good way to put on wounds somewhere on Heresy is a Tactics article about the IG that says the Punisher is ideal for killing those things and it is all you really have to do is pour shot after shot into that thing and you'll be good. What I usually do agains that thing is use my low strength shots (lasguns, bolters, etc.) to knock the princes down maybe take a wound off then once they get on the ground hit em with the big guns (Lascannons, Autocannons, GLs, Plasma). Allocate your ballistic skill stuff for the princes and use your templates and blasts to level the rest of his army. Remember to hide your infantry behind the Aegis it helps! Oh and snipers help a lot against monsterous creatures put those catachan snipers in the CCS and fire away. Dont forget to use your orders they are vital, every turn as often as you can.
That Farsight is gonna be pretty brutal, bring plasma. At that points value I would recommend bringing a lot of it. The Vets and Kaskrin are going to need them badly, considering Tau dont have anything AV 14 leave the meltas at home. And again sniper rifles are the bane of monsterous creatures.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Perfect thankyou so mych! Ill try it out n see how it goes!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode