Prison-World Imperial Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Default Prison-World Imperial Guard

Okay so... A buddy of mine, and I had written this list a couple years back, during 5th ed. We had every intent on making this army (for him) but then he lost his job and things went sideways for a bit there.

But! Now things are going back in-line, and he can once again afford both Food and Mini's!

So, back onto the block is this: "Prison World" Imperial Guard.

The idea is that this world is a prison world, but long abandoned by the Imperium. What weapons they have were once designed to keep the prisoners in (or, in the case of the Hydras, to keep people from breaking the prisoners out). Everything will be slapped together.

Al'Rahem Squad will be the former Warden- Command squads former guards etc.

And the prisoners have been left out because: lets face it, if Tau or Tyranids or orks show up, you want the people with low moral fiber to help.

HQ: (1/2)
Company Command Squad
x4 Grenade Launchers
Company Commander, Astropath
+ Chimera

Fast Attack: (3/3)
Scout Sentinel Squadron
x2 Scout Sentinels w/ Autocannons

Vendetta Gunship Squadron
x2 Vendetta

Hellhound Squadron
x2 Devil Dogs w/ Multi-Melta

Heavy Support: (3/3)
Leman Russ Squadron
x2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks w/ Lascannon

Hydra Flak Rank Battery
x2 Hydra Flak Tanks

Ordnance Battery
Medusa w/ Bastion Breacher Shells

Elite: (1/3)
Guardsman Marbo

Troops: (5/6)
x2 Veteran Squads
(each) x3 Melta Guns

x2 Infantry Platoon (identical)
* Platoon Command Squads
x4 Grenade Launchers
Platoon Commander
+ Chimera
* x3 Infantry Squads (Combat Squad)
(each) Grenade Launcher
x1 Commissar

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad
x4 Laspistol/CCW
Captain Al'Rahem
x2 Infantry Squad
w/ Grenade Launcher & Missile Launcher

Okay so here is the tactics:

Outflank with the Vendettas (which are holding the Veterans), Scout Sententials, and the platoon that must. Also Marbo- less not forget Marbo.

Get the two blobbed platoons flanking the three command chimeras. The tanks can protect the order-giving astropathing cargo within - and still offer up some more grenade shots.
Get the artillery pieces to safe places on the board so they can do their things - and use the Devil Dogs and Leman Russ as they are meant to do.

So- the platoons move up slow and steady, and shoot down anything in their way. The chimeras helping in that regard too.

Now, I know I should avoid close-combat, but with Rashid he seems at least somewhat competent at it - so I geared his command squad to be CC as well (dual weapons, FNP).

His infantry are not blobbed, and they would be the target of his "Like the Wind" - allowing the heavy weapons to be fired, and still they can move. So this keeps mobility up to par with the blobs.

Last Minute Add-on!
Oh! And I'd have 0 issue adding in a good Fortification to represent the prison it's self... just lemmie know how you'd wedge it in. (i'm leaning towards bastion, my buddy is thinking the Fortress).

Okay, there it is.
As always, comments and questions welcome.

Thank you.
- Hammerman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 05:01 AM

Shanny2's Flag is: Australia

nice it looks like a interesting list i like the little history that you have at the start of this post
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 08:28 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

the fluff is good. the list is just a nice "seen-a-thousand" ig list, not representing the fluff at all (no offense intended, just an opinion).
It can totally work, and yes, you could benefit from a defense line, just in case of some flyerspam and to protect one of your blobs

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
the fluff is good. the list is just a nice "seen-a-thousand" ig list, not representing the fluff at all (no offense intended, just an opinion).
It can totally work, and yes, you could benefit from a defense line, just in case of some flyerspam and to protect one of your blobs
What would you suggest removing to get that Aegis in? And what would you do to make this better?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 01:49 PM

it depends on the theme you want to hold.
If it was for me, i'd say this:
Since this is a Penal Colony Army, the chances that a Leman russ was stationed there are utterly low. Any kind of heavy tank, in fact is almost impossible to find where there is no strong imperial guard presence. A planetary defence force rarely has many of those beasts.
A penal colony relies on its fortifications, Arbites personnel and, of course, the prisoners themselves to defend.
The sentinels are perfect, I can see them being used as recon squads to hunt fugitives and to patrol perimeters. Chimeras are ubiquitous, the devil dogs are based on the chimera chassis, so a totally plausible choice, as the hydra and medusa, that can simply be chimeras with cannons taken from the fortifications. Anyway the real theme of the army should be infantry. A big penal planet can house millions of prisoners. I imagine that even if the planet goes rogue and the prisoners are given a certain degree of freedom (becoming the lowest citizenship, while the former governor and penal officers would rule as nobles) they would still remain "slaves" (as in many imperial world). There would still remain a large portion of the carceray population deemed too dangerous to release, and the prison itself would still remain fully operative (there are always rioters and political enemyes to chain to a wall). This is my take in expanding the fluff and justifying my following list choices, from what you have said before
About the list: obviously I would want a funny and fluffy list, without being an aut-lose list. So (mind you, I'm not writing with my codex on my lap, so i can't give point values, i'm just writing freehanded )

HQ
-Company Command Squad
4 Meltaguns
Astropath, 2 bodyguards
Chimera

The governor of the planet with his retinue of veteran guards (armed with old but effective laser cutters, taken from the prison workshop), and his Astropath.
The two guards are brutes recruited from the most loyal and dangerous ex-prisoners

-Primaris psyker

A powerful former-prisoner, now free to be the hidden power behind the scenes. Everyone in the prison fears him, and everyone has to respect his power and authority. A dangerous enemy, but a preciuos ally too.

TROOPS

-Veterans Squad
3 Plasmaguns
carapace armour

-Veterans Squad
3 Plasmaguns
carapace armour

Those are the old Arbites veteran teams, grizzled warriors, sporting the deadliest weapons of the armory. They are deployed in their heavy anti-riot combat suits, via Vendetta's Grav-Chutes

-Platoon A)
PCS
4 Flamers
Chimera

5 Infantry squads (to blob or unblob depending on the battle)
5 granade launchers
5 heavy bolters OR Autocannons
2 commissars

3 heavy weapons teams
3+3+3 mortars

The spine of the army is comprised by ex-prisoners, armed with all the planet can produce en masse.

-Platoon B)
PCS
3 Grenade Launchers
Platoon standard
Al' Rahem
Chimera

2 Infantry squads
2 grenade Launchers
2 Missile launchers

The former Warden of the prison now leads his Arbites in daring manouvres always in the thick of the fight!

ELITE

Marbo

He is the dangerous one. Better to give him a target....

FAST ATTACK

3 Scout Sentinels
Autocannons

2 Devildog
Multimelta

2 Vendettas

The hunters, the fast and deadly mechanized fist of the Governor. Once used to scour the outskirts of the prison, now they support the prisoners against any enemy!

HEAVY

2 Hydra

1 Medusa

1 Manticore

Many big guns have been stripped from abandoned or ruined parts of the prison walls, and have been fitted on the adaptable Chimera chassis. The Manticore, in particular, is armed with modified rockets, with warheads taken from the very Cobra Freighters that patrol open space around the planet!
__________________________________________________ ________________________

here it is. I guess i've mantained the same point level. About the Aegis, i've just noticed that you have two Hydra and 2 vendettas. You should be ok. if you feel still exposed, then, remove an infantry squad from and a commissar from Platoon A) and you can afford the Aegis w/quad gun

EDIT: I am a fool! How could I forgot the true fluffy part! I should add this:

TROOPS II

2 Penal Legion Squads

The prisoners might have been freed, but not everyone. These are the most deadiest, lunatics and dangerous. Be they maniacs, heretics or demented, they still wear the explosive necklace they used to wear when the prison was still functioning. Just to be shure....

Cheers

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Last edited by neferhet; 07-05-13 at 01:54 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-13, 07:18 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHammerman View Post
But! Now things are going back in-line, and he can once again afford both Food and Mini's!
What's 'food'?

The list looks like a good start, and my recomendations would essentially be everything Neferhet's said. What kind of conversion bits were you thinking about using for their wargear?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Okay after taking some advice, and the like. Here is the Updated Version.
Please let me know what you think!

Oh, and we like Grenade Launchers, for their versatility.

HQ (2)
Company Command Squad
w/ x4 Grenade Launchers
- Company Commander "Warden Greenly" {Warlord}
+ Astropath (second in command)
+ 2 bodyguards
+ Chimera

Primaris Psyker (to be named something scary later) - Formerly on Death Row, but now working w/ Greenly to help defend the planet.

Elite (1)
Guardsman Marbo (to be named something scary later) - Formerly on Death Row, but now working w/ Greenly to help defend the planet.
[Where the Psyker is more of a... sophisticated sociopath, the Marbo is just a blood-soaked murderer)

Troops (6)
x2 Veteran Squads (These are the Guards or Arbiters that watched the prison before.)
w/ 3 Meltaguns & Grenadier Docterine (for Armor)

x2 Penal Legion Squads
- what more needs to be said? These guys would be the beefed up "Maximum Security" wing dudes.

Infantry Platoon (a)
Platoon Command Squad w/ 4 Grenade Launchers
+ Commander Chenkov aka "Arbiter Oakley" - the one that oversees the Low-Level Prisioners.
+ Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher
+ Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher
+ Conscripts Squad, 50-men large w/ "Send in the Next Wave!"

Fast Attack (3)
Vendetta Gunship Squad
x2 Vandettas

Hellhound Squadron
x2 Devil Dogs w/ Multi-Meltas (combo's well with their Melta Cannons)

Scout Sentinel Squadron
x2 Scout Sentinels w/ Autocannons

Heavy Support (2)
Hydra Flak Tank Battery
x2 Hydra Flank Tanks

Ordinance Battery
x1 Medusa "Big Birtha"
- she's the last Big Gun they got. Was taken from the main prison before it got blasted away.

Fortification (1)
Imperial Bastion w/ Quad-Gun Emplacement

Generally the Command Squad will station its self in here, use the bolters and their grenades to keep things away - and the Commander can man the quad-gun. BS4 w/ twin-linked aint bad.

15 points short, and not sure if this is "Still Good" or not. Just an idea.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 11:15 AM

The list looks very good to me! CHenckov is a touch of art imo really fluffy
About the grenade launchers, I understand, just remember that you seriously lack any anti marine or terminator weaponry. Granades can't do everything.
About the fortification, it will be hard to remove, just be shure noone gets near or they will fill you with granades untill you die horribly! The quad gun, however, is a bit redundant: you already have 2 hydras! why don't try the Icarus lascannon for the extra punch? This way you have lots of Str 7 AND a last resort str 9 shot.
About the CCS, if you plan to put them into the fort, then you could swap 2 granades for an autocannon team.
With the 15 pts you could buy another missile launcher team for an infantry squad.
BTW how many points is this?? 2000?

Quote:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I see yer point about the Quad Gun - and a Lascannon would do nicely. A fine "Death Beam from on High" lol

And its 2500 points, where my friends and I all play at =D

As for anti-marine/Anti-tank...
I have 2 Vendettas w/ tripple twin-linked Lascannons
I have 2 Devil Dogs w/ Melta Cannon & Multi-Melta
I have 2 Hydras (when not going anti-air, they still can fire at the ground units w/ S7)
I have 2 squads of veterans w/ Multi-Meltas
And I have 1 Madusa, w/ s10 AP2, Ordnance shots.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 12:53 PM

well, you really have to try!
about the hydra, do they shoot on the ground normally? if I recall correctly they go to BS 1 if not shooting flyers. or am I wrong?

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode